DAC not listed as "Connected to Roon Core" on QNAP

Btw does it make sense to install RoonBridge on the NAS ? I guess if RoonCore does not detect same will RoonBridge… but perhaps I am wrong

With RoonBridge you should have the same outcome regarding your DAC as with RoonServer.

I prefer QNAP over Synology, personally.

I’d sooner buy a $10-40 SoC device (Raspberry Pi, FriendlyARM, etc) and install Roon Bridge on it than sell/rebuy a NAS over something like this. That’s by far the most common scenario among our users for doing audio on Linux–much more common than plugging audio devices straight into a NAS–most people like to keep their NAS far away from where they are listening because of fans/noise/heat/etc.

Roon uses the same mechanism for enumerating devices as aplay -l, but the environment where Roon runs is a bit different from what I’d imagine a shell looks like on these devices. At least, the Roon QPKG includes an ALSA library which is not normally installed on the NAS.

Is there any chance that the ALSA library in the QPKG is newer than the kernel-side ALSA support on this particular device or something like that? Just looking for differences…

Interesting idea… but it would require me to purchase and power up yet another device. Will keep this idea as a ‘plan B’ if everything else fails…

On my NAS the ALSA driver version (returned by ‘cat /proc/asound/version’ ) is 1.0.25. Perhaps this explains it ?

Chris, what version of Alsa libs does the QPKG include ?

Thanks again to you two for your patience and efforts

Am giving up on this. Purchased a QNAP TS-469L instead on which Roon immediately detected the USB DAC. So my conclusion is that there is a problem either with the QNAP TS-459ProII board itself or with QTS 4.2.0 thru 4.2.6 - preventing the Alsa setup from working properly with Roon. It may also be due to the Alsa libs embedded in the Roon installer packager for QNAP.
Will do a final test on the QNAP TS459ProII by plugging another USB audio device in a few days, but for those considering running Roon core on TS459Pro2, the conclusion is: Roon works but fails at detecting USB audio devices connected to the NAS.

To close the thread here… I have tried connecting a USB headset to the QNAP TS459Pro2 but same result - it does not get recognized by Roon.