Darko finally comes clean

That’s pretty rude. It would be better to stay “Maybe Michael Lavorgna could help you guys out?”, which would have avoided a disguised attack on his integrity. The smirking emoji makes it worse, not better. :zipper_mouth_face:

Anyway, I see Michael Lavorgna’s work as being focused on product reviews in a more traditional sense (photos and text). He’s not doing videos or use case/tutorial style work. If you have seen someone who is doing impressive work in that space, I’d welcome being pointed in that direction.

5 Likes

Maybe Steve Guttenberg is available :rofl:

1 Like

Again, not exactly the quality of production we are looking for.

Is it not obvious the difference between a Darko video and the video you posted? Or, are you trying to bait me into getting heated? Shame shame.

The thing that’s funny about this is that pre-COVID, I actually had dinner with Steve. Surprise surprise, things are far less about extreme positions in the real world.

5 Likes

@danny Thats quiet interesting. And yeah, never judge a book by it’s cover. I might have done him wrong there.

1 Like

Different styles but similar YouTube subscriber numbers - Steve has 180k, John 170k. Which leaves everyone else trailing far behind. Both numbers are also growing fast. A classic case of making the pie bigger rather than fighting for a bigger slice - there’s room for both of them.

1 Like

Yah, but I don’t want Darko’s subscribers, I want his ability to produce beautiful content that’s easy to understand!

I’m not actually wanting him to do anything “shill”-like, he’s just afraid that it might compromise him. I understand his journalistic code here – too bad for me.

11 Likes

Ah but what the well heeled person who is also a full on kool-aid drinking audiophile? Well then you enter the land of $$$$$$$ cables, wires and power conditioners where every possible place to spend money on one’s system is filled with overpriced audiophile foolery. And all listening sessions are about accessing the latest upgrade and never, ever about enjoying and exploring music. One listens to the same 10 to 20 recordings over and over and over again and again and again. A sad and miserable way to supposedly enjoy one audio system and music.

6 Likes

So true, though that wouldn’t be my destination. Best to find that middle ground. But even rich people sometimes need something to do with their hands I guess, and fondling and plugging and unplugging expensive power cables is perhaps all they can muster. I prefer to build inexpensive but decent ones myself, or find appropriate lower end ones, preferably on sale. I’m also a put in place and there it stays kind of guy, or if I do replace a component, cable etc try to move it on to the second system or eBay it. It does boggle the mind the amount of $$$$ used cables and gear over at Audiogon. I can see how a $100-200 cable can be that much better than a $5 freebie, but a $10k one, I just don’t know what I’d be listening for other than my bank account weeping…

1 Like

I love watching James Hoffman’s videos. Watched his video on the Hario V60 and realised I’d been doing it all wrong. I now have very consistently brewed delicious filter coffee. I’ve even got my wife brewing the coffee using a set of scales! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Very fancy! Puts my Gastroback dual boiler machine to shame. Mrs. F won’t touch it - thinks it’s far too complicated, which I think is hilarious given her first class Master’s degree in chemical engineering! :rofl:

1 Like

The Gastroback is a little fiddly. The grind and dose control the extraction pressure, so I have to tweak a little each time I change the coffee in the grinder. Including the 8 second pre-infusion, I aim for about 35 seconds total extraction for a 60g double shot.

I love it when cable naysayers or people think that their $200 component is a giant slayer, try to get somebody with status to side with them to prove their point. Instead, it backfires on them every time. Cables and more expensive equipment make a difference if you have the treated room and your other equipment is good enough to allow the benefits.

I’m not quite sure what your point is or where this happened? It’s “authority” not status that’s the question, as acquired through expertise in a particular field. References to “status” and costs are looking for answers in the wrong place.

3 Likes

How do you define “good enough”? There’s always a more knowledgeable or more experienced listener with “better” gear, a “better” listening room and “better” hearing… He or she might think your equipment (or listening training) isn’t “good enough” to be immune to “cable differences” etc. … As Darko points out in his video, this “all you need is…” way of thinking won’t get us anywhere, because “the only person that knows all the specifics of what YOU need is YOU” (10:58).

I don’t need for someone to tell me what is good, I can figure that out for myself. I got a simple system after I sold my turntable and preamp, but I still have over $50k into it. I do know that I could do better but it will cost me and over time I will get where I want to be.
Just like cars and other hobbies, I don’t need someone to tell me that I wasted my money by owning a Porsche, that a Toyota is all I needed, I the consumer is the only person who would know this.

4 Likes

Yep, and that is exactly what Darko is pointing out in his video too. So whom are you referring to, or am I missing something here?

2 Likes

What I am coming to realize about diminishing returns is that, not only is my equipment changing over time, but I am changing, too. I don’t mean my refined sensibilities, my increasing discernment, or my musical taste. I mean my hearing: it’s getting worse! I’m 63! I have been listening to music most intensely and enthusiastically my entire life. I never blew out my hearing and have always gotten great results from hearing assessments. But I can’t outrun inevitable age-related hearing loss. It’s given me a great sense of latitude about how I invest in audio equipment: I’m not going to do much!

10 Likes

Condolences. It already is or will happen to almost all of us. That’s why I’ve started to focus on the visual aspects of music listening.

Darko’s productions are top notch, but sometimes a little gimmicky–for example his use of rack focus (changing from background to foreground). It can be effective sometimes, but after a while it gets old.

Steve’s are much cruder, but still way above the selfie fish eye look that’s way too common today. His jump cut edits drive me crazy. That used to be a big no-no, back when I worked in TV, but they’re pretty common now.

I actually ran into Steve one time at a New York high end audio show, but had a senior moment and couldn’t remember his name. That was before I subscribed to his You Tube channel, and only knew him from his Stereophile column. I was never that interested in his column. I often am interested in his videos, but whatever he says, he takes his time saying it.

2 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Creativity in the HiFi industry…