Darko on Ethernet vs. WiFi

Tell you a secret: when I wrote Down-to-earth recommendations to newcomers I was being polite. I really thought we could all use some down-to-earth talk.

Consider a garden-variety idiot, like myself. Although my main system, with a Meridian box, had both network and USB inputs, I had another DAC/headphone amp with USB. And although I had the Core in the same room and could connect it with USB, I “knew” that network is better so I bought a MicroRendu. And then I read about the clever engineering (supercaps!) going into the LPS-1, and I “knew” how important power supply decrapification is, so I bought it. I never tested whether I had a problem with sound quality — no need, I “knew” these were important improvements. So I spent $1000 and now have three extra boxes (switching PSU, LPS-1, mR) feeding the DAC.

Somebody should save me from myself. And perhaps others too.

You ask, if I can’t hear a difference, can others? Does it exist? What do I care? Before I spend $1000 I should investigate if it is needed or useful in my system, not be taken in by shiny boxes and experts.

I have always done a lot of evaluation of speakers, and cars, before I buy. But not for electronics. And especially not for decrapifiers. Why? Because the allure of something for (nearly) nothing is irresistible?

5 Likes