Dealing with album art in Roon

+1 here as well. The aim would be to mimic the actual content album art wise as closley as possible.

1 Like

What software do you use for viewing the other art and liner notes

JRiver via the JRemote app running on an iPad.

Come on Roon, letā€™s blow JRiver out of the water on this one :wink:

1 Like

As Iā€™ve posted elsewhere, this is one of the features I would like to see implemented at the earliest opportunity.

When I first discovered ROON it was suggested this would be available.

Have to say I was disappointed it was not included in 1.1

Could we have a comment from the Roon Guys on this point please as they have been very quiet on this.

Thanks.

Yes. Iā€™d like to be able to have an option to prioritize artwork selections universally. I, too, have painstakingly put the cover art I want in each folder. It is sometimes different than what is in the file metadata, Roon currently seems to prioritize the metadata over the cover.jpg file. My only option is to manually import it into Roon.

@mike do you know if @jeremiah got to this?

As far as I can tell itā€™s not functioning as requested. (Meaning: a box set with each disc in CD1, CD2 etc can have cover.jpg in the parent folder and Roon will find it.)

I have a more basic issue with cover art. I added a number of CDā€™s I ripped myself. I went online and grabbed jpg files for every cover and added each jpg into the CD folder on my NAS. I made sure every cover was called folder.jpg. All files have similar size (around 600x600). YET: only a few show up in Roon and the others simply do not. I tried rescanning, re-identifying, selecting ā€˜prefer fileā€™, etcā€¦
Is there a way to force roon to pick up the jpg from the directory which contains the cdā€™s music files?

2 Likes

Yes, please give us the opportunity to have different album covers for each CD in a box set.

1 Like

Ignore my earlier post. ā€˜Rescan albumā€™ seems to do the trick for meā€¦

2 Likes

I 100% agree.
I have multiple version of specific album. SACD Japan CD layer edition, gold edition, Mofi, etcā€¦
I want to be able to use the exact album art copy, so I know which remaster Iā€™m listening to
For me it is important. Of course sometimes it is difficult to find the album art cover and you have to scan it.
Also searching by my tags is very important to me, I donā€™t seem to be able to.
Otherwise I love Roon!

3 Likes

I would also like a priority flag that can be set to always use the local Album Art on disk. Higher Resolution does not always mean better quality.

1 Like

Isnā€™t that what prefer files does? Just select all your Albums, select edit and then metadata preference and under artwork select prefer file.

Will Roon not use album art in the parent directory? For example, a common folder structure is:

Album title/Disc 1
Album title/Disc 2

It makes sense to have 1 copy of the album artwork in the roon Album title folder, rather than copies in each of the 2 subfolders. Doesnā€™t Roon allow this? It isnā€™t pickup up the artwork for my album in the root folder.

Roon is, generally speaking, not interested in a users folder structure. There is no predefined meaning of what a folder might be (a Genre, Artist, ā€¦).
As far as I can tell, pictures and/or PDFs that are in a folder with music files get associated to the music files or more precisely, to the data object that represents the album in Roon the files belong to (see also: Gallery). Any other files in a folder without music files are just ignored as there exists no relation to an album.

Placing files (pictures) in parent folders makes only sense in software thatā€™s based on folders (folder view/folder browsing) like UPnP/DLNA players. Roon doesnā€™t support folder view or browse by folder.

Roon will do what you intend if you rename ā€˜disc 1ā€™ and ā€˜disc 2ā€™ to cd1 and cd2 respectively.

1 Like