Devialet 'RoonReady' - or not as things stand at the moment

‘Possibly’ is the best answer to that one.

Like most things in life, it’s not quite that simple and would take a huge effort, and probably be quite costly, to get the desired outcome.

Yeah @jayrammusic as others have pointed out the SE would do just the job and some are already going that route, albeit it uses up the lone USB input.

But it doesn’t really make the hardware RoonReady as such - it adds another box for the final connection over USB. Because the Devialet is already a network attached device capable of being streamed to, RoonReady would remove one extra item from the chain, completey isolating it as intended, and would mean volume control and other things could be passed along. Plus because it can, we want it to! :wink:

But practical reality means we’ll probably have to find a way round it, at least for the foreseeable future. For me it will be whatever comes first, and/or is the most reliable and/or sounds best between RAAT on ChromecastAudio, Pi2, cubox, and if all those fail - and the micro rendu isn’t a reality - the SE will probably join this household.

It’s recording from Vinyl, using the Devialet as A>D and PC as recorder. Note, I don’t have a turntable, but that’s what I understand it to be.

If you have a USB turntable, then you need the Devialet USB input. Of course, if you a typical analog vinyl rig, then Devialet’s A->D is the way to go.

Actually no, you couldn’t plug a crappy USB turntable into the Devialet, it requires a computer on the end of the USB cable, it can’t act as a computer.

The USB is bidirectional on the Devialet allowing me to send audio from a computer to it or capture audio from it. My turntable comes in via an analog input and Devialat converts the analog to digital and presents that digital data to my laptop via USB.

@DrTone - My bad! You’re totally right. I even used USB for that shortly after I got my Devialet last year. Doh!

Talk about a rock and a hard place :confused:

As things stand, with AIR being unreliable, we have to place another device between the Roon Core machine and our Devialet units (well not strictly true, you can connect up the Roon core server directly, but we are trying to get away form this).

I was using a MacMini up until recently, then these slim devices started to perk my interest. I am running a RPI 2 at the moment with HQP NAA and following closely the threads on the SoSE, Cubox, etc and I am sorely tempted to go for the microRendu, not least because it embodies the goodness of Regen into the new hardware.

But be aware, so far in my fiddlings, these NAA’s and slim devices do not like it when you switch inputs or when your Dev goes to sleep, or is turned off. All manner of restarting and rebooting ensues. It’s an issue in my mind, a big one for an ‘untrained’ user (think SOH or member of the family, crikey, even a savvy audiophile guest).

And we all like to let our Devs sleep from time to time, they run warm enough as it is when in use, and it does not feel right to leave them fully powered up 24/7. I am hoping this gets sorted in terms of the under-lying Linux OS that seems ubiquitous to these slim devices and NAA’s, they need to get savvy about when an input is actually alive or not.

Hi @DrTone,

OT sorry all, but I saw your post about a Pi2.

I’ve got a Pi2, BBB and CuBox-i2EX which I have working as NAA with HQP (see the HQP output section threads for the “Boys Own” style stories).

If you are looking at DSD over USB I’d suggest either of the other two instead of the Pi2. The Ethernet and USB implementation on the Pi results in soft clicks or pops in DSD 128 (haven’t tried 64) which others report becoming unlistenable with DSD 256. It seems fine with 192 kHz PCM or if you connect off the top like the IQaudio gear.

Devialet have recently advised full details of their soon to be released (October '17?) ‘Devialet OS’ streamer board.

See link, although my term ‘full details’ is perhaps a touch exaggerated:

As many have stated in the past, in terms of the products offered, Devialet and Roon would appear to be an excellent match.

Does anyone know if there has been and contact between Devialet and Roon (in either direction) with regard to this new streamer board.

1 Like

Judging by the defining silence in response to the above, I am assuming the answer is a resounding no!

Any further details in the meantime?

Well, a relationship has just been announced and native AIR released. So it seems like there’s a much more promising base to build from for the future where previously it had seemed like a brick wall.

Fingers crossed… meanwhile we have AIR.

Please excuse my ignorance of the technicalities involved in music streaming, but could someone, with some knowledge of this, please explain what further advantage would be obtained in having the new Devialet Core Infinity Streamer board (as I believe the OS Streamer Board is now called) as a ROON end point (with RAAT?). Doesn’t the newly released ROON/AIR protocol achieve the ROON Integration with Devialet we all wished for? Would there be further advantage in having ROON “talk” to the new Devialet Board direct?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question, but It is not clear to me what the advantages, if any, would be.

Not a silly question.

The primary reason (for me) is it would enable the Devialet to be grouped in perfect sync with other zones.

It would also benefit from any enhancements/improvements to Roons streaming tech - Roon have hinted that they may do things with RoonReady/RAAT in the future which would be exclusive to their protocol.

Looking at my processing speed AIR has slightly more overhead, but there’s not much in it.

Beyond that I’m not sure. Originally of course, we never thought AIR would be an option. …

1 Like

Only advantage I can think of is being able to sync with a broader range of RAAT zones rather than only Devialet Air zones. This would allow you to have lower cost zones in sync with a main Devialet zone.

Many thanks @hifi_swlon & @philr.I had not thought much about the multi zone case, as I am currently only using two zones - Devialet in the Lounge, and a Wyred4Sound µDAC-HD, in the Study - and have not had any sync problems as I don’t tend to use them at the same time, or play the same music on both at the same time.

I can understand this point, given that it would give ROON better control over any upgrades and enhancements it might want to make. Not too sure what enhancement constraints may be placed on ROON by the ROON/AIR protocol.

its just AIR… note that you didnt need a firmware update… we have zero flexibility here.

The big (immediate) thing you would get with Roon Ready, is multi-zone sync with Devialet and non-Devialet audio endpoints. AIR cant do that.

And that would be a very big win! While I can accomplish that using my microRendu, I do believe AIR sounds better.