Diet Pi, Roon Bridge, HQP and iFi Nano

I have very limited time at the moment, DietPi eats it all up lol :smile:.

If you have some common questions/commands/methods you’d like answers to, I’ll try and get them answered. Then we could add them to a FAQ section somewhere to assist others?
Example would be: “How do i test sound is working”? = speaker-test -c2

@Dan_Knight or anyone else…I’m having a problem getting DietPi running on my OdroidC1+. I’m visiting a friend and the unit is for him; I only have until Sunday to resolve the issue as I fly out at 5am Monday.

I’m running Roon Bridge, and I assume the latest version of DietPi. I downloaded the OdroidC1 image today and installed today.

After installation, I plugged in a Audioquest Dragonfly. I then accidentally enabled the OdroidC1 in Roon and played music through the HDMI cable to a TV monitor.

I disabled OdroidC1 in Roon.

I enabled the Dragonfly. Unfortunately, I can’t get music to play thru the Dragonfly. I tried two different Dragonfly units. Same issue with both: Roon recognizes the Dragonfly, but when I send music to the Dragonfly, the music fails to play and Roon drops the Dragonfly. More specifically, the OdroidC1/Dragonfly disappear from the Roon interface. They no longer show up as Networked endpoints.

I powered down and repeated the above process several times. Each time, I can play music through the HDMI cable to the TV monitor but when I try to play thru the Dragonfly, Roon fails to do so and then the OdroidC1/Dragonfly drop from Roon’s list of Networked endpoints.

Again, I have to fix this issue by Sunday. Fingers crossed. Thanks for your attention and help!

Aloha, -Mark

On you Odroid what does Dietpi-config show in audio as the soundcard?

@Tony_Reimann - good suggestion; unfortunately, it didn’t work though. Greatly appreciate the suggestion. Thank you! As noted below though, I’m still stuck…

I went into dietpi-config. The soundcard was set to HDMI. I changed it to usb-dac. The Odroid rebooted and Roon picked up the Dragonfly USB DAC attached to the Odroid. I played a song using Roon to the Odroid Dragonfly and had the same problem. Nothing played and the Odroid dropped from the network.

So, I rebooted the Odroid and went back into dietpi-config. Upon going to Audio settings, the soundcard was already set to usb-dac.

Roon again recognized the Odroid / Dragonfly. I sent a song again and experienced the same problem.

Note that when I send a song, a lot of code comes up on my Odroid monitor.

Any other suggestions? I have only 48 hours to get it figured out…fingers crossed.

I would start from scratch, burn a virgin copy if dietpi and set up as USB DAC, install roon bridge and see what happens.

Hi,

Sounds like a possible kernel panic / hardware error due to USB or insufficient power supply. Is there any chance you could take a picture of this when it occurs? May give us some useful information.

Also, which:

• Power supply used for Odroid C1? (eg: 5V 1A phone charger)
  • SD card/EMMC used?

Another good suggestion @Tony_Reimann. Unfortunately, didn’t work.

I downloaded a new image. Wrote the image to the microSD car; setup DietPi; changed the soundcard to usb-dac; rebooted the Odroid and confirmed that the soundcard was set to Odroid.

I then tried to play a song via Roon. Same problem, Roon sees the Dragonfly but when I hit play, the networked device disappears from Roon.

Guessing it is a problem with the soundcard but I don’t know how to troubleshoot.

-Mark

@Dan_Knight - yes, insufficient power to USB seems to be the problem. Interesting b/c I’m using the current Dragonfly that can be powered by a phone.

I moved the Odroid into the second rig here - connected it to an iFi power supply and Chord Mojo that has one USB input for audio and a second for power. The Odroid is working properly in this rig.

With the Dragonfly plugged-in, I was using the following power supply - CanaKit Model DCAR-052A5 - Output 5V - 2.5A.

I haven’t yet tried the Odroid with the iFi power supply and Dragonfly…

Thoughts on the original setup? I’m supposed to take the Mojo with me when I leave at 5am Monday and leave only: i) a Raspberry Pi2A running DietPi + Dragonfly and ii) the Odroid C1 running DietPi + Dragonfly #2.

Thank you!

@Dan_Knight - a new Odroid and new question for you. I now have an Odroid C2. I have DietPi Roon Bridge installed with the sound card set to USB DAC. When I play music, I get pops and crackles (as if I’m playing a record). The overall sound is crystal clear and nice. I’d be a very happy camper if I can get rid of the ‘surface noise.’

My system:
sonicTransporter i5 > Router > Ethernet > Ethernet to Fiber Converters > Ethernet > Odroid C2 (with wall wart power supply) > Chord Hugo > Amplifier. All ethernet cables are Audioquest Cinnamon.

I’ve used this same exact setup with a microRendu without problem. I’ve also used DietPi with a RPi in my other system without problem. Right now, the only network player I have access to is the Odroid C2 that I just bought. FYI - the C1 dropped off a table and started making similar noises. So, I bought the Odroid C2…hmmmm.

FYI - I just made a donation to DietPi via PayPal under the T-Rx Ent moniker.

Thx for your help!

Hi Mark,

Is the background/surface noise constant, or intermittent?

with wall wart power supply

It could be related to power supply noise. Might be worth trying another power supply (eg: USB used for your RPi, or barrel connection PSU if you have one).

Failing that, if the RPi is fine, its most likely an issue with the current (and somewhat outdated) Odroid 3.x kernel. Odroid have started 4.9 kernel support/dev for XU4, but no branch for C2 yet: https://github.com/hardkernel/linux/tree/odroidxu4-4.9.y

FYI - I just made a donation to DietPi via PayPal under the T-Rx Ent moniker.

Thank you, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback.

Power Supply: I connected a second power switching power supply - inexpensive but some effort did go into its design (variable voltage output). I also powered via my laptop. The crackles (like a record playing) are present with both power supplies. The noise stop when a song ends but come right back when the next song begins. I don’t have my RPi here to test. I have an iFi power supply but need to get a mini-USB adapter.

Odroid Kernel Support: so, if my issue is a kernel problem, I just need to sit tight and hope it’s addressed at some point? My intent is not to be snarky with that comment. I’m just clarifying that there are no other options for me right now.

Thanks again!

Edit: sorry saw now that you are talking about Odroid! this is certainly for Raspberry PI

Hello Mark,

I also had these crackles with DietPi and my Ifi IDSD.

For me this helped a lot:

I added the following line to the cmdline.txt

dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7

Crackles are now reallly down to a minimum.

Maybe it helps you also!

Best regards

René

1 Like

Just found this topic.

I have 5 endpoints, 4 with DietPi on an RPi. Two of these endpoints go to iFi DACS, an iDSD and a iDAC2.

I’ve never experienced ANY crackles or pops, so there is something else going on in your system. All of my endpoints, but one and that one is not an iFi, are wired. Maye that’s it?

Also, the two iFi DACs are fed with a USB regenerator.

For what it’s worth …