DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Great work Rene… If it’s not much trouble could you also include your guide for Spotify connect as that’s probably a very popular feature request.

Cheers

Wayne

P. S. Mojo arrives Friday :+1::+1::+1:

Had great success with this 5Ghz adapter on my Pi’s.

http://www.edimax.com/edimax/merchandise/merchandise_detail/data/edimax/uk/wireless_adapters_ac600_dual-band/ew-7811dac/

1 Like

I took the plunge and installed Diet Pi – Roon Bridge. First impressions are very positive. Yesterday evening I listened to the Shostakovich Seventh Symphony (Vasily Petrenko and the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra) using the HiFiBerry Roon Image (1.2.2). This evening I installed the DietPi - Roon Bridge and revisited the same piece. The first impression I got was that I had moved, metaphorically speaking, a couple rows further back in the concert hall but still in a good seat – quite a nice feeling. The bass sounded more natural, less stressed; details emerged more effortlessly; instrumental timbres seemed more right, etc.

People who want to bump up the bass, or sculpt the sound signature in any way, can of course use the DSP engine in Roon 1.3. I just turn off the DSP engine. The less processing the better is my philosophy. So, perhaps that is why DietPi sounds good: a lightweight software package, just enough to run Roon Bridge. Thanks very much @Dan_Knight.

3 Likes

Been using DietPi off and on for about a year. Its a great OS with a lot of great features. In addition to DietPi I use PiCorePlayer. Although the base OS’s are different they ‘can’ sound the same ‘if’ both use the same tweaks imo. In stock form with no power adjustments done etc. the DietPi sounds a bit harder. Set-up wise PiCorePlayer is much easier and faster, just a few GUI picks to select the output and done.

I know RAAT has some advantages but in comparison I just can’t hear them…

1 Like

Can I just say that I picked up a Odroid C2 and eMMC module and well within an hour had it running as a Roon Bridge. That is a record for me, previously it took days of figuring out how to proceed and then putting that into action. I am running two USB DAC’s simultaneously, my Audiobyte Black Dragon and an Explorer 2. DSD, minimum phase, 7th order, DSD128 on the Black Dragon, no processing at all on the Explorer2 and it is unfolding MQA no problem. I have the engine for my DIY Roon endpoint now! All I need to do is figure out the rest! DietPi is pretty impressive!

3 Likes

Just installed DietPi on my Pi 2. I had previously (with great success) been using the Roon Bridge for ARM method: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-bridge-for-arm-a-beginner-s-guide-to-raspberry-pi-and-cubox-i/10138/2

1. Do I have to do anything before installing roon? I read something about having to install Alsa tools. Is this still a requirement?
  2. I am only using the Pi usb output to Mojo. I’m also curious what the optimal DietPi-Config settings for such a setup?
  3. After I installed DietPi, I changed the .txt file to enable WiFi before booting. But I can’t get my new Edimax EW-7811UAC to work. My older Edimax dongle that came with my RPi2 kit does work however (model no. unknown). Any thoughts?

@Dan_Knight, just wanted to say that I’ve set up a few DietPi devices (RPi + FriendlyARM) over the past few weeks and everything has been good.

I was impressed when I set up a Pi with a DAC HAT and it did all of the right things to enable the driver for the HAT and turn off the built-in ALSA devices without any fiddling or shell commands.

Nice work.

I’ll ping @mike about creating a second category. Maybe inside of #tinkering. This is bigger in scope than Raspberry Pi.

3 Likes

DietPi will automatically install ALSA, and all pre-reqs for Roon Bridge. This also applies to all software in the DietPi-Software catalog.

1. I am only using the Pi usb output to Mojo. I’m also curious what the optimal DietPi-Config settings for such a setup?

The only thing you’ll need to do on the DietPi system, is select USB DAC from:
dietpi-config > audio options > sound card

1. After I installed DietPi, I changed the .txt file to enable WiFi before booting. But I can’t get my new Edimax EW-7811UAC to work. My older Edimax dongle that came with my RPi2 kit does work however (model no. unknown). Any thoughts?

Those settings located in dietpi.txt are only applied during the 1st run setup of device. After the DietPi system is installed, they have no effect.
If you wish to change WiFi options at a later point, this can be done in:
dietpi-config > networking options: adapters > WiFi

2 Likes

Thanks. Everything working flawlessly. The only issue I’m still having is using the Edimax EW-7811UAC. Maybe driver needs to be installed?

Yep, possibly, which device is it?

lsusb
lsmod

ID 7392:a812 ??

1 Like

Does it show up with aplay -l

1. Tried to use DietPi with Odroid C2. Installation went smooth but I couldn’t upgrade kernel or ALSA for native DSD playback. That’s why I switched to Debian

2. Now I’m thinking about using my spare Cubox pro for multichannel setup. Maybe someone managed to achieve this?
    My goal is to:
    A) cubox running DietPi
    B) connect Cubox to Marantz NR1607 via HDMI
    C) output my 5.1 FLAC collection thanks to new Roon 1.3

For now I can only output 2.0 sound.
Any thoughts?

Hi,

DietPi currently has one forked Kernel (RPi). With this fork, we can patch and resolve kernel issues for our RPi users.

The Odroid’s use stock Kernel at the moment (they are extremely outdated, but proven stable to a degree, 3.x). Provided by Hardkernel and updated through Meveric’s repository.

A) cubox running DietPi

Unfortunately, we do not offer a Cubox DietPi image at the moment, due to lack of physical device for implementation (cost).

Thanks, thats the puppy :slight_smile:

Lemme take a look, ticket below:

1 Like

@brian

Thanks for your feedback Brian, great to hear :slight_smile:

For Edimax in question you will have to manually install drivers on Debian.

wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/install-wifi.tar.gz
tar xzf install-wifi.tar.gz

To install use: ./install-wifi

Tried, doesn’t seem to work…

root@DietPi:~# wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/install-wifi.tar.gz
–2017-02-12 22:58:48-- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80256631/install-wifi.tar.gz
Resolving dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)… 45.58.70.5
Connecting to dl.dropboxusercontent.com (dl.dropboxusercontent.com)|45.58.70.5|:443… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 3656 (3.6K) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘install-wifi.tar.gz’

install-wifi.tar.gz 100%[=====================>] 3.57K --.-KB/s in 0s

2017-02-12 22:58:48 (9.59 MB/s) - ‘install-wifi.tar.gz’ saved [3656/3656]

root@DietPi:~# tar xzf install-wifi.tar.gz
root@DietPi:~# ./install-wifi

Your current kernel revision = 4.4.30-sc1+
Your current kernel build = #1

Checking for a wifi module to determine the driver to install.

Your wifi module is Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd

And it uses the 8812au driver.

Checking for a new 8812au wifi driver module for your current kernel.
A driver does not yet exist for this update.
root@DietPi:~#

Hi Dan,

First I just want to Thank You, for Diet-Pi.!!!

Its a fantastic achievement in Computer Audio.

I use it and love it, I want to ask if there is a way to make the Nice and Affinity settings persistent between boots?

1 Like

Linux has many different varieties. And guys over there are trying to include as many as possible.
It is working on my 4.4.38, so maybe update your Kernel first?

pi@Bathroom:~ $ cat /etc/*-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“8”
VERSION=“8 (jessie)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums
BUG_REPORT_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs

pi@Bathroom:~ $ uname -r
4.4.38-v7+