DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Two ways:

• 1= When you boot the system or login to SSH. You’ll see the DietPi banner mention update is available.
  • 2= You can run dietpi-update to check for updates.

Updating is not a requirement, but we do patch bugs and improvements to DietPi during the update. Ideally check the patch notes for anything that may benefit your setup.

For new users, I’d highly recommend creating a system backup once your system is setup how you like it. Simply run below and create a backup:
dietpi-backup

Basically its the same as a Windows restore.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

Thanks for running the tests.
Just to confirm 16bit @ 192KHz is fine? 24bit causes white noise?

this will also check for Roon Bridge updates?

backup done! :slight_smile:

Yep, we can update Roon Bridge through our patch system, during the update.

2 Likes

Yes, any frequency 24 bit and white noise over the music but any frequency 16 bit is fine.

CJ

1 Like

Thanks Richard.

I’am bit stumped at the moment. Kernel source is a new ground for me, its like a massive gravy train with footprints that one needs to follow to find the right spot :slight_smile:.
I’ll keep trying, maybe I missed something. Either way, i’ll let you know once another test is ready and would appreciate your assistance with that.

I don’t know if this question has been asked but is there any reason why an image hasn’t been created for the Beaglebone based platforms?

Hi,

We don’t have access to one of these boards at the moment. So we are unable to implement an image.

We never really wanted to target this board as the CPU specs on all beagle-bone boards are extremely outdated. $69 for 1GHz single core also seems a bit steep, especially considering the alternatives (eg: RPi Zero for £5).

OK Dan, thanks for your reply. I do like the fact the BB’s have on board storage, and they do have more than enough power to do what I want but I also appreciate that you need to put your effort where it would have greatest impact.

1 Like

Allo 2.1 Piano DAC will be fixed in DietPi v143 for RPi. Requires new DietPi kernel with Allo driver and firmware.

If you are using a Allo 2.1 Piano DAC and RPi. The kernel can be installed now with:

@Dan_Knight you are obviously correct on paper. But my main system has an BBB -> Hermes -> Cronus -> I2S -> DAC configuration and it is rock solid and runs NAA + RAAT without any glitches. It is inside my DAC enclosure and when I switch the unit down, it has a backup battery and it powers it down gracefully.
At the same time, all my RPis and Odroids are used for tinkering - I don’t think they are stable enough for a production-grade system.
When my very old (2GB eMMC) and beat up BBB was acting strange (I think too much tinkering didn’t do it good), I gladly paid $69 for a new one and I haven’t looked back since.

It could be my fault for not being able to stabilize the other hardware/distro combinations, but at the end of the day, one doesn’t need to have a software developer degree to have a stable system to listen to.

Anyway, I don’t want to open a new discussion here - just my 2C on BBB. I used to look down on it too, but Miero’s Botic kernel/driver is fantastic for what it does.

Running ODROIDS here with no problems re stability.

1 Like

Hi,

I’d have to disagree with the Odroid’s (especially C2 + EMMC). It is fit for 24/7 stable usage in my experience. We actually use one for the majority of DietPi testing, and I have one upstairs with Kodi. They have never let me down.

I think the main issue with RPi is down to SD (and users with non-official, insufficient PSU’s) issues. The device itself is actually pretty stable.

I’ll get in touch with BeagleBone, if they are willing to send us sample dev boards, i’ll implement a DietPi image and support for it :slight_smile:

I run 2 BB’s, a Black and the more recently launched Green. They are running on old distros and I would love to be able to get them running on something designed to deal with high bit rate PCM and DSD. As it is they are good up to 192 and DSD64 but they should be able to go higher given a bit of TLC!

@Dan_Knight - I should have been clearer. I am sure C2 runs fine with Jessie and your distribution. I said it before - I admire you for your efforts and have nothing but praise.

However, for HQPlayer NAA to run, we need Stretch or Xenial.

(@Henry_McLeod - please see below, it is a response to your post as well)

With RPi 2/3, C2 and BBB I applied dist-upgrade to Debian Stretch.

RPi seems stable, but I didn’t like the SQ.

C2 was not usable with Stretch, but I managed to get it to work with Ubuntu Xenial. It is great with a USB DAC and pretty much unusable with the HiFi Shield 2 (or I might have received a lemon). I am waiting for SoTM SMS-200 to compare, but doubt I’ll hear any difference. I hope I’m wrong.
As I mention in Odroid C2 HiFi Shield, DietPi and HQP NAA thread, I’m having stability issues with C2/NAA combination. It is most likely NAA problem - I am really using it in a fashion that was not intended/designed by the software author.

BBB - I did dist-upgrade, then installed miero's kernel and that was it.

I totally agree this was not a scientific test/experiment - far from it. Just my experience.

@Dan_Knight - I am not using my old BBB 2GB. It was having occasional clicks and skips with sound, although the dmesg didn’t show anything. If you’d like to use it for testing until you are ready to move on to a real device which you are sure won’t be with questionable performance/stability, I’d gladly donate it to you. Send me a PM if interested.

Our installation of NAA Daemon on DietPi works with Jessie. We pull in the require Stretch packages during installation:

I am not using my old BBB 2GB. It was having occasional clicks and skips with sound, although the dmesg didn’t show anything. If you’d like to use it for testing until you are ready to move on to a real device which you are sure won’t be with questionable performance/stability, I’d gladly donate it to you. Send me a PM if interested.

That is very kind of you, I appreciate it.

If I do not receive any joy with my email for dev sample boards to Beaglebone, i’ll definitely take up your offer :slight_smile:

@Dan_Knight - does that work with C2? I don’t remember seeing it in the test version… but then I did a diff with the test branch and it’s there. If it does :blush: : :sweat:

I couldn’t get NAA daemon to run under 32bit on C2, maybe I did something wrong?:

Same here, plus I’m not as good as you are with Linux, so I’d not even attempt it.

I did manage to run NAA on C2 however, but only after upgrading to Stretch and then it wasn’t stable. On top of that, I lost the DietPi update capability.
Armbian Ubuntu Xenial is fairly stable and sounds great so far - I only had a few glitches, but when it happened, I had to pull my computer out and reboot the unit, which defeats the purpose of embedding it.

BTW, what is amazing with with this setup is that my HQPlayer server chokes transcoding before C2 even notices. I can get C2 to play DSD512 and PCM768 without problems!

This is the C2 while doing DSD256:

1 Like

Hi Dan, is there some particular deed to perform when trying to get the current Raspberry Pi image to load Roon RAAT package?
I have tried a couple of times but is stops at this part:

Ign http://mirror.ox.ac.uk jessie/rpi Translation-en
67% [Packages 46.8 MB]

After that i loose contact with the Pi and are unable to login again, says my password is wrong… ???
Before loading the Roon software it is working just fine and i am able to add my sound card etc.
(Which is actually a DDC, Hifiberry Digi+ Pro)