DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Ooer, missus (to quote a deceased Brit comic), then I stand corrected, and haven’t a clue as to what’s going on. Clearly my theory is shot.

The line art appears to be cached sometimes, once a RoonReady image has been used.

My Digi+ Pi is back to the speaker icon, while the PiDAC+ Pi still has the line art, even though it has been running DietPi for weeks… :slight_smile:

In all seriousness – after the initial 5 minutes of ‘Nice! Line art!’ I stopped noticing it. For me, full control over the OS and running the latest and greatest RoonBridge updates is valuable. Others may appreciate the easy of use of the RoonReady images more.

And line art. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope, had never used a Roon ready image. First install of first and only iqaudio, and straight to Dietpi / RoonBridge. The mystery continues… :slight_smile:

Gave this a try but no luck, unable to login to the Pi3 with DietPi? Tried two different SD cards, one 1Gb and one 16Gb… Wrote the image more than once to each card, no luck… Seems to boot based on the on board LEDs but root / dietpi is NOT accepted as login?
Anyone else?

Worked for me. Are you using ssh? If so are you using: ssh root@Ipaddress?
What does it say?

Try ‘ssh -v root@ip-address’ to find out what’s happening…

I don’t understand this…
These are the last lines in the verbose login?:

debug1: Host ‘192.168.15.227’ is known and matches the ECDSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /Users/micke/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_ACCEPT received
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
debug1: Trying private key: /Users/micke/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Trying private key: /Users/micke/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Trying private key: /Users/micke/.ssh/id_ecdsa
debug1: Trying private key: /Users/micke/.ssh/id_ed25519
debug1: Next authentication method: password
root@192.168.15.227’s password:
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password
Permission denied, please try again.
root@192.168.15.227’s password:

That looks about right: system is up, ssh server running, expecting password.

At the risk of stating the obvious: can you doublecheck on the password (no caps, spaces, etc.)?

Apologies for being a slow bugger… Have been away for a few days.
Hmmm, i did write some commands in the Terminal-window of my iMac but the were in expected capitalization.
And i fully agree with you, it seems i am giving the wrong password, but i cannot seem to find anything other that “dietpi” as the default?
…very strange… I’ll give it another go tonight…

Well, i downloaded the latest DietPi image (released on the 8:th of October), flashed it to my little 1Gb micro SD, inserted it into my Pi2 this time.
Tried logging in and everything went just fine?
Now playing DSD64 as a Roon bridge, and all other sorts of files too! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s conclude that all is well that ends well… Happy listening!

Tried DietPi on my Digi+ pi last night and everything went well to a point (Bridge installed, static IP address set, music playing etc.). The only thing I haven’t got to work yet is Wakeonlan. In my Jessie Lite setup, I simply edited the rc.local file and added the line:

wakeonlan {server mac address]

just before the exit line and it all worked well. The same strategy doesn’t work for DietPi (which has different code in the rc.local file). I know the wakeonlan program has installed OK as it works from the command prompt. I’m tempted just to replace the code with that used in Jessie Lite but I suppose I should tried and understand what thie rc.local file is actually used for in DietPi before messing with it.

I just checked it here.
I installed the wakeonlan package and put the line in the rc.local (with output directed to a textile in the tmp directory). When I rebooted the pi the magic packet has been sent (according to the textfile in the tmp directory).

Thanks for doing that. Not sure why my set-up is not working then. I’m wondering if I accidently messed up some of the other existing code in the rc.local file by a spurious key press while editing.

Would you care to elaborate how you got WOL working? What packages do I have to install, how can I wake up the pi from several different computers on the LAN?

You just need install wakeonlan

sudo apt-get install wakeonlan

Then the comnamd is: wakeonlan followed by the mac address, eg. wakeonlan 1a:2b:3c:4d:5e:6f

In theory just add this command line to the end of the rc.local file and your Pi should send a magic packet on boot

This is to wake a server (e.g windows based) - not sure if Pis support any sort of sleep mode that they can be woken from

wakeonlan sends magic packets to wake other network devices. I don’t know what the setup of @Cliff is. I just assumed. as he used it on the same device with a different image, there should be a reason and he wants to have it working in dietpi too… :wink:

thanks @cliff and @crieke. I was actually looking for a way to wake up the pi via lan. The internet ™ says that it isn’t possible, but for a moment, I thought you had figured out a way to do it. Waking up the server without having to leave my couch is tempting, too, though…

As far as I know there is no way to wake up a pi and to be honest I don’t think it is necessary at all. If you look at the power consumption, many devices need more power even if they are in standby mode…

The power efficiency is one of the great things of the pi.

1 Like

Totally agree. However, I think a sleep mode will be a future feature for people who have a requirement to run their Pis on batteries. I’m conscious that I going off topic, apologies