DietPi: creating a lean-and-mean Roon Bridge

Hi @RBM

Need your help on DSD over DoP on AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre V3 DAC ES9023:
http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/diy-dac/audiophonics-i-sabre-dac-es9023-v2-tcxo-raspberry-pi-20-a-b-i2s-p-10657.html11

I installed this DAC on DietPi as HiFiberry DAC
It is recognised
root@DietPi:~# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: sndrpihifiberry [snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac], device 0: HifiBerry DAC HiFi pcm5102a-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Installed ALSA utils
Installed FFmpage tools

Itā€™s found in Roon as RAAT, plays 24/192, and plays DSD if converted to PCM.

However, I canā€™t get it to play DSD over DoP (even when DoP selected and it shows DSD64 in green). :frowning:
I only hear hissing sound and in background very very very silently the music???

Whatā€™s missing, whatā€™s wrong?

Janis

I do not think the Audiophonics board is capable of decoding DSD.

DSD64 is shown in green because the driver reports it is capable of receiving PCM192, which is the minimum requirement for transporting DSD64 over DOP. But Roon has no way of knowing whether the DAC is capable of decoding DSD sent over PCM or not.

Thank you. That should be the reason.

Just launched a RPi3 with a Hifiberry Digi+ running Dietpi. Is going to replace by Squeezebox Touch which is failing to properly play 192K content.

Man, Iā€™m very impressed. Got stuff running in less than 30 minutes. And although Iā€™m a ā€˜a bit is a bitā€™ guy, I canā€™t help thinking that this combo sounds better than my Squeezebox Touch.

Enjoying my music verry much!

3 Likes

Roon Bridge is coming to DietPi-Software for v139: https://github.com/Fourdee/DietPi/issues/593

1 Like

Thanks Daniel. My DietPi Roon Bridges have been running absolutely flawlessly. Adding Roon Bridge to the easy software installer makes things even easier.

Maybe this is a good time to remind all of you employing DietPi for your listening pleasure that while the software is 100% free to use, making a small contribution goes a long way in helping its development. I just did.

http://dietpi.com/#donate

4 Likes

I can only add a ā€˜fully agreeā€™ to Reneā€™s post. DietPi is light-weight, properly documented, fast and most importantly, running without any issue at all.

Thanks @Dan_Knight!

Thanks for the reminder Rene, just sent some cash to keep DietPi rolling and welcome to the forum @Dan_Knight, great to have you here.

1 Like

Hi all,

Many thanks for the great feedback and donations, I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

Iā€™am aiming to create a fully automated Roon installation image. This will allow your end users to download the DietPi image, write, copy a file to /boot/ (which contains the automation flags), power on and watch Roon automatically get installed and configured.
Currently, this will be supported for all ARMv7+ DietPi devices (eg: RPi 2/3, Odroid C1, OrangePi etc).

Iā€™d like to add ARM64 and ARMv6 (RPi 1/zero and Odroid C2/Pine) to this, but this cant be done as we are lacking ARM64 and ARMv6 binaries for Roon Bridge at the moment. Are there any plans to supports these archā€™s in the future?

On a side note, iā€™am loving Roon. It really is looking like the complete audio software solution at the moment, love it!.

5 Likes

One more :).

Great ā€˜bakeā€™, looking forward to the Roon flavored one.

I think ARM64 will be fine in the near future, but ARMv6 most likely not, a little birdy whisperedā€¦

1 Like

I have an original R-Pi version A perhaps. Will this work with dietpi and Roon bridge or is there a min required pi base hardware of more recent vintage?

Diet Pi - Yes, all models supported

Roon Bridge - No, the Raspberry Pi 1 Model A has no Ethernet port and uses an ARMv6 CPU instead of an ARMv7 (as in Pi 2 and 3), both of which disqualify it for use with Roon Bridge.

Ahā€¦ OK I have an ethernet board to sit on it ā€¦ but I guess the ARMv6 is still a logoā€¦time get a newer model to play with.

I have a built 4 RPi3ā€™s over the last monthā€¦ one was built for a buddy that needed a digital endpoint for his setupā€¦ all but one running on DietPi.

• One is just a USB endpoint for a DAC. (Iā€™ve messed around a bit with this one, itā€™s running RoonBridge and has been setup to use as an HQPlayer NAA)
  • Another has a IQaudIO Digi+.
  • And another with an IQaudIO DAC+.

All of the above are running DietPi with an iFi iPower 5v power supply. The DietPi setup is so easy to config and tweak. Currently Iā€™m running them all in conservative mode and they are working great! Cool quite and efficient. No dropouts yet.

The last one runs Kodi on OpenElec with the pre release PLEX app.

1 Like

V139 is out, including a Roon Bridge installation option in the software installer:

Compared to the pioneering we did at the beginning of this year, itā€™s a whole new world out there, making it much easier for those new to this game to add a few rock solid, well sounding, ultra cheap zones to their setup. Thanks, @Dan_Knight!

Iā€™ve got to rewrite the step-by-step guideā€¦ :wink:

8 Likes

Time to standardise all 2 of my pi zones with dietpi I think.

1 Like

Canā€™t go wrong: minimal overhead, minimal maintenance, minimal installation.

1 Like

@RBM @hifi_swlon

You might be interested in the automated installation image :wink:

DietPi - Roon Bridge auto installation and setup:

DietPi will automatically update, install and configure Roon Bridge, no user input required. Depending on the speed of your SD card and SBC used, system will be ready within 1-10 minutes.

1 Like

Heheā€¦ Nice ā€“ Iā€™ll put it in the updated guide. Will you continue to host the config file?

And BTW ā€“ any chance youā€™ll have the Cubox on the menu?