Digital output attenuation volume

Thanks Sjef,

for your friendly and fast answer.
Iam know what are say here,
BUT thats (what i understand) describe a analogue amplifier that get controlled with a digital signal,
what the best way-WHEN its possible.
Also it CAN be done with a „full“ digital stream that includes some control bits for the digital controlled analogue amps.
But then you need a special receiver that know what to do with that extra bits.
Or its much simpler, when the manufacturer control that without to have insert control bits in the stream.
But then the LS manufacturer and source/transmitter manufacturer have to be the same what is not in my case.

What my really background question is:
When you listen to a very attuented signal with „reduced“ bits,
does you recognize a difference when you listen extrem critical to that ?

My personal reason to ask that is,
that i want to use the Roon streaming with Trinnov now to my digital LS from Meridian.
The volome control in the M-LS works as you recommandet, means the DSP(digital speaker) from Meridian get the full signal and the volume „wish“ from the user go over the meridian controller(like a preamp/source switcher).
So the internal volume regulation is done in the speaker (where the d/A conversation is done),
via control bits for the (digital controlled) analoge amps.
In that way the D/A converter have allways the full bits as you know.

NOW i want to use the Roon volume control for my (SPDIF/XLR/AES) input of my Meridian LS.
The reason is that i want to avoid the internal audio processing(for music) and and feed the three D/A converter of each LS with three Trinnov Altitude data streams for high,mid and bass.
I guess, i get a better sound when the Trinnov have the FULL control over the three frequency ranges.
Also then the LS can receive a higher sampling freuqency as 96 kHZ.
The internal D/A converter in the M_DSP are 192kHz types.
I guess, the processing on the Meridian processing board(in the speaker) is the bottleneck.

So the whole idea/project is depending if i can use a „volume decreased“ digital stream without disavantages or not.

What you experiences here, what your thought about the whole idea ?

Robert