DLNA/UPnP support would be really nice [Not on the roadmap]

Fair point. Given how much Naim charge for their units it is a shame they are not upgradeable via a factory refit.

I share the sentiment but ā€¦

I have a Cambridge Audio CXN so I get Airplay, with my hearing ! Iā€™m 67, itā€™s unlikely Iā€™ll spot the difference.

Yes strictly I should add hardware. Iā€™ll stick in a laptop to test . I have always been a wary of Pi esp if it needs my soldering skills.

My choice was really UI over DLNA.

Mike

No soldering skills needed for Pi, more like ā€œLegoā€ skills.

.sjb

1 Like

Maybe I should have put more effort into my Meccano Crane

Iā€™ll have a look

Mike

1 Like

Have just put together my first Pi with Allo Digi One. Took about 20 mins including the case; just a screwdriver required. Will sort the software tomorrow.

I ditched Roon about a month ago. Main reason is the non support of upnp/dlna. I love it in all other regards.

Iā€™m fed up waiting for either Cambridge Audio or Roon to make a move. Reading about the lms integration and the upnp bridge made me investigate one more time. Could it work? Still have a few weeks until subscription runs out.

Well yes. It does work. But my Cambridge Audio 851N has a very nice display for artwork and metadata and I quickly learned that Roon does not send the metadata through lms. Bummerā€¦

So if I really want to keep using Roon with the nice display of my Cambridge, Iā€™m stuck with airplay. No dsd and 24 bit audio there.

So my plead: Please, please, please rethink the dlna/upnp support. Make it optional for players that support it. Iā€™ll keep an eye on Roon, but for now itā€™s a very expensive system that just plays CD quality through airplay for me. So Iā€™ll not be renewing.

Iā€™m not alone in this and you would make a lot of people very happy! And the potential market is huge!

Greetings,

Michael

5 Likes

To be honest, I thought one of the main features of Roon was that it specifically eschews DLNA/UPnP in favour of the RAAT protocol, which Roonlabs considers to be superior. Obviously that means for full compatibility, manufacturers must make Roon Ready hardware. Itā€™s probably the case that Cambridge Audio would have to make the move to Roon Ready here think, based on responses iā€™ve seen previously.

1 Like

Yes, DLNA/UPnP support was asked for a couple of years ago, and the reason for not supporting it were linked to in that threadā€¦

1 Like

I know all this, but paying 100 plus euroā€™s per year to have airplay through Roon to a high quality dac is just a waste of money. I know Roon adds a lot more than this with itā€™s fantastic interface and metadata. Just my two centsā€¦

Adding upnp doesnā€™t seem like too much to ask. Itā€™s a marketwide standard. From a support point of view it could even be an unsupported feature. Just implement it according to a standard. Those are there. Openhome would be preferable I guess. Most high end players support this and with bubbleupnp server most players can be supported through openhome.

1 Like

Oh yeah, Iā€™m really not prepared to have to add a third party device as a Roon endpoint. To me it just adds to an already costly hobbyā€¦

Products like the ultrarendu are great. But having to add this to get a roon endpointā€¦well you get my driftā€¦

1 Like

You could try a Raspberry Pi Zero with a JustBoom Digi Zero and connect it with TOSlink. You can install Roon Bridge on Linux and itā€™s really easy with DietPi.

http://dietpi.com/

Thanks for the suggestion. But I really just want to use my existing equipment without all kinds of bells and whistles.

1 Like

Actually, we do. It works great on the squeezeboxes. Itā€™s the UPnP bridge that isnā€™t passing it along.

Maybe Cambridge will adopt RAAT in the future. In the meantime, looks like DLNA/UPNP are your sources. There are inexpensive endpoints like RPI3 out there, but if you donā€™t want to buy additional equipment, looks like your stuck.

Thanks for the info Brian, Iā€™ll get in touch with Phillipe (the author of the upnp bridge) to see if he can look into it.

Iā€™ve already gotten in touch with Cambridge, I hope they do adopt RAAT and I hope it can be pushed through a firmware update. If theyā€™re willing is a whole other issue, weā€™ll see.

1 Like

A very versatile endpoint is the Oppo UDP203 if you might need a universal Bluray, DVD, CD, network player. You can track Roon on the TV screen via the Oppo.

1 Like

Brian,

Philippe is willing to look into it for me and I guess for himself too :slight_smile:

He just doesnā€™t have any clue as to how Roon actually does this. His responses:

ā€œHow do they do that? the slimproto does not really include metadata, these are additions that are player dependent (none for a duet, for example). In the case of the bridge it shows itself a as squeeezelite and there is nothing to be sent. The way I get metadata is by the bridge querying LMS through itā€™s CLI interface, but Roon does not mimic that interface, hence my responseā€

and

ā€œI donā€™t have any more a roon account. Maybe you can tell him to shoot me an email and we can discuss then. Or you can simply ask them if they have now enable a mimic of the cli service - they might haveā€

Would you be willing to get in touch with him? Or give me some directions to pass along?

If he could get this working somehow Iā€™d be one very happy customer againā€¦

They are free to contact me with questions, and I will help informally as I have before, but we do not drive this sort of communication from our end, as this is not part of our product.

For now-playing data, we mimic the interfaces that the SB Touch and SB Radio use, based on observing their behavior. Iā€™m not sure exactly which subset of the LMS APIs that is, but itā€™s pretty straightforward to sniff the traffic going back and forth between one of those + Roon and find out. All of the source code for these protocols (both sides) is open, so there are generally few mysteries with Squeezeboxes.

Thanks for the info Brian, Iā€™ll pass this on to Philippe, maybe heā€™ll be in touch, maybe he knows enough by your answer.

Pleasure doing business :slight_smile: