Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

After hearing and reading about definitive sound improvements through special ethernet cables and switches and after seeing a review from HB, I bought a few In-Akustik Excellence Network Cable CAT6 cables and an audiophile Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch out of pure interest. That was a conscious purchase decision. The worst thing that could happen is that nothing happens. For a manageable amount (in relation to my stereo system).

I am a computer scientist, so I was rather skeptical about the propagated sound improvements. Because after everything I know, it can’t be right. On the other hand, I am a HiFi and sound enthusiast. And: There is always a vague possibility that something is wrong. And HB doesn’t look like a liar either. However, the opinion of other people is of little use, as you can read here, the range of opinions is wide. So, I have to find out for myself.

The cable test:

A: 1m & 2m In-Acoustic Excellence CAT6
B: Approx. 50m normal CAT6 cable (ca. € 30.- 50m)

My network leads from the basement over 2 floors to the attic. By patching the cables accordingly, I can route the signal directly from the Roon-Rock to the streamer or alternatively from the roof to the basement and back and then to the streamer

The switch test:

Audiophile Switch Silent Angel Bonn N8 vs. Netgear GS105Ev2

The Silent Angel Bonn N8 the is mounted under my lowboard

The in-acoustic cables are plugged into the back.

For the test I have both switches in operation. By plugging in the cables, I can compare the sound of the two devices almost without delay.

And of course, I checked the entire cable route to the basement again with my Kurt LANcheck. Normally I would notice immediately if something is wrong, but it is safe to do so.

At the other end my streamer with a cable that is provided with a coupling, so that I can quickly switch between the two switches.

Result:

It didn’t take me long to do the cable test. When comparing the switches, it was not that easy. After all, it was me who switched the network cables and therefore I knew which of the Switches was currently in operation. I didn’t take it lightly. Sometimes I thought I hear a little more attack or a wider sound stage. Then I switched the cables around again and heard the same thing as before. After about 2 hours of serious listening, I’m sure.

To put my personal result into words:

If someone asked me whether it makes sense to spend money on audiophile network cables, my answer would be yes. In case I expect a well-made cable with solid plugs and a nice look. Because of the sound? I can hear no difference for myself, whether it is an audiophile cable connection with a length of 2m or a connection with a 50m normal CAT6 cable.

When comparing standard Netgear vs. audiophile Bonn N8:

If someone asked me whether it makes sense to spend money on an audiophile switch, my answer would also be yes. In the case I just want to calm my psyche or conscience by having done the maximum possible. Because of the sound? Here my answer is rather diplomatic. I for myself, my system and my ears cannot hear a reproducible difference in sound. Nothing that would withstand a blind test. I would definitely not be able to pinpoint the sound of device A or device B.

Do I regret buying the cables or the switch? No, not at all. The cables are excellently manufactured and fit perfectly in their connection. Significantly better than some Amazon standard cables with which I have had the one or the other problem in normal PC operation.

Would I buy the Bonn N8 again? Hmm… I don’t think so. But I don’t regret the purchase, after all I learned a lot from the Bonn N8. In the network it is completely passive, it is not manageable and it cannot even be found with a network scanner, so you cannot assign an IP address to it. At first I thought that its interior could be identical to my Netgear GS108Ev3, so I disassembled and compared both. They are not identical, the Bonn N8 has its own design. It works perfectly in combination with my Linn streamer. And it is also not detrimental to the sound. But not beneficial either. It is a good, solid switch with low performance requirements, it does not get warm and it does its job reliably. But rather overpaid for this job.

Finally, I have to admit that I have made another investment in my stereo. Here you can see How It’s Made:

The Linn Klimax DSM

And of course, I’m not going to tell you what this streamer sounds like. Because otherwise some run to the bank and take out a loan. Besides, he still risks that the best wife of all puts him in front of the door :wink:

But if someone asked me if you could hear the quality of sound, my answer would be a definite yes. Without hesitation and without ifs and buts. This device lives up to all promises made by other devices.

I don’t want to be misunderstood with my opinion, nor do I want to get on anyone’s toes. Therefore: All of this is simply my personal opinion. It applies to me, my ears, my stereo and my room.

17 Likes