Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

I highly recommend the Netflix documentary “Behind the Curve” all about flat earthers and how they maintain their beliefs in the face of so much contrary evidence. It’s a fun watch.

https://www.netflix.com/title/81015076

2 Likes

Thanks Evand, to you and some of your fellow visionaries. I have recently been able to imagine a Naim Statement in my home, which I could never have afforded before. Nothing has ever sounded so good!

But why aim so low?

1 Like

Well, I sure hope your RPi had a $$$ linear power supply. 'Cuz if it was powered by a $10 switching PS, that would totally have messed up the SQ during that experiment.

</snark>

Because I don’t know any better! What would you suggest?

1 Like

Intriguing.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io4SDi5hLxs&list=PLMbsmejHnP8HxdJ89h4s30gXO2u42-xmR&index=4

Hehe, that sounds like a fun test, I don’t believe you actually did it though. But if you did, you should listen on a well recorded tune that you know, on a transparent system. And then focus on stereo image and clarity. You don’t need to be that extreme tough, just connect the long cable and lay it on the floor will be enough.

This is just trolling at this point.

I dunno, be imaginative.

I’m very happy with the Statement, for now. If I feel an upgrade coming on, I’ll start imagining something better!

That was something I was actually willing to try out (replace a 2m ethernet patch cord connected to my RPi streamer with a 25m segment of generic Cat5 cable). There was no change, either to the noise level or the stereo imaging.

Apparently that means my gear is not expensive enough to be adversely affected by mere contact with cheap ethernet cabling.

4 Likes

Here ya go:

You might need a more transparent system, or maybe in your case there are no differences.

I mentioned earlier one test I do, 1:10 into the tune Dreamer by Sopihe Zelmani (from the collection Decade of Dreams), she sings far to the right. The position of that song is way to the right of the right speaker, and very sensitive to changes in HiFi. If I remove my ethernet-fiber for isolation that songs moves 3 dm closer to the speaker (with fiber its 7-8 dm to right of right speaker in my room).

But tests like this depend a lot of how well treated room you have, and how well setup (synergy etc) your HiFi is.

Wow! Who needs mixing desks and pan controls in a recording studio? All you have to do is buy an audiophile Ethernet switch…

6 Likes

Ok, I have to ask, wth is dm?

10cm or ~4 inches.

So he says the stereo image moves about a foot to the left.

It would be great if someone in Stockholm were willing to assist him with a blind test of this phenomenon.

2 Likes

Funny thing is listening to that track off the same album on my headphone rig she’s as far right as she can be in a headphone image, doesn’t matter whether I’m using Copper or Fiber Optical as the last leg to my Pi4 renderer.

Do you mean something like a Raspberry Pi in a perspex case? Or simply a system that is highly susceptible to noise?

2 Likes

Who in their right mind talks in decimeters?

1 Like

dm is decimeter, you know, the metric system. Its about 4 inches if that makes it easier. Metric is the SI standard for measurement, used in most parts of the world. USA is one of the countries that still sticks to ancient and non-scientific measurements like inch, feet and yard :slight_smile: