Do router and ethernet cables affect sound quality?

Have you tried said switches/cables…or are you going by what you have just stated? I’m guessing not

…but you seem to have to try and prove that I’m deluded…so you obviously care enough to do so :grin:. I on the other hand don’t need to prove anything :grin::grin:

Can cables etc. affect SQ? Yes, they can, but only marginally. In other words, some people should rethink their priorities. They would be surprised how good their system could sound if they improved their speaker placement and the acoustics of their listening room. Some of the photos posted in the “Showing (off) your Roon setup” speak volumes…

13 Likes

I wish the mods would close down this thread. There is nothing useful left to be said one way or the other.

2 Likes

What’s proper placement and care for acoustics when you can fix all issues with out-of-spec cabling, felt markers, risers, magic switches and shatki stones, with maybe an extra magic wall sticker resonator or twelve for extreme cases ?

5 Likes

So I did a search of this topic and did not find any reference to an AudioQuest Jitterbug, or other filtering device, so let me chime in about that (there are a number of companies now marketing these such as iFi or Regen) .

First off, I am with those that do not feel that ethernet cables make any difference. Now, as long as they are terminated properly and are well made that should be true.

Background noise in general is another topic, and that is where the Jitterbug comes in. Since they were first introduced I have used these in my router, in my switches, on the back of my computer, in the USB port on my Synology NAS, and even in the USB socket in my car. They are designed to filter out any electrical noise and grunge ( I am typing this from memory not from referring to the product website) and I do think they have made a difference for me.

So at $50 each (maybe they are up to $60 now) it was a cheap tweak and one I thought worth it. Try one or two of them and see what you think. You don’t even have to have anything plugged into them I just use them in an open USB slot on my device).

I have also used plugs to close up any unused RCA openings on the back of my amp/receiver to eliminate any possible noise interference. Whether this works truly or not I don’t know but if you don’t succumb to the marketing hype of certain companies about buying ones dipped in special sauce and made by Vestal Virgins in a vacuum (or some other outlandish claim) at ungodly sums of money, then for a few bucks it is a cheap tweak as well.

Happy listening.

1 Like

Closing the thread will only have someone pop up with a new one and off we go again. Just because it’s here doesn’t mean you have to read it much less contribute :innocent:

They can’t, but people who don’t understand network protocol will not change their minds.

A few rational souls on the forum have suggested that people have someone disconnect their ethernet cable while music is playing (or not for a “blind” test), but none of the fancy network cable supporters have reported trying this. The buffer length on most endpoints is longer than people realize, and a simple disconnect/reconnect while music is playing would clearly show the deficiency of cheap cables and/or switches if indeed there was one.

1 Like

Don’t think so. All ethernet connections are galvanically isolated to prevent dc bias from causing damage.

Also, clock skew is irrelevant in a buffered system. (totally relevant in SPDIF though)

1 Like

Ethernet is very different than other components. It just pushes data, in a perfect way.
I don’t have to test a switch or a cable to say that it does not alter the SQ. And I can prove it, by the specifications of Ethernet. Do you believe in them?

Can you prove that you hear differences? Did not think so either.

2 Likes

In Ethernet? No.

Clock skew is relevant to synchronous digital circuits. Ethernet is asynchronous.

Regarding DC bias, the Ethernet specification requires the use of magnetics–discrete transformers–to protect against faults and the rejection of common mode signals caused by electromagnetic interference or noise picked up by the cable. These also provide galvanic isolation from the cable and offset any DC biasing, which is caused when a network is powered from multiple points.

3 Likes

As George Costanza once said yada yada .

1 Like

Providing balance for those who seek an answer to the question posed by the OP. I recognise a lost cause when I see one, but our voices may help someone else inform their own opinions and decisions.

3 Likes

A little old news now but the UK’s Advertising Standards Authority concluded that the Chord Company’s claims concerning their Sarum ethernet cable breached CAP Code (Edition 12) rules 3.1 (Misleading advertising), 3.7 (Substantiation) and 3.11 (Exaggeration).

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/the-chord-company-ltd-a14-274211.html#.VN2WRPldV8H

6 Likes

For those who may not know, The Chord Company Limited–who assemble speaker cables and interconnects–and Chord Electronics Limited–that design and manufacturer DACs and amplifiers–are not the same company.

Unfortunately, both are often referred to as simply ‘Chord’.

Good catch.

1 Like

It’s only a lost cause, if you think the purpose is to convince the audiophools that the SQ improvements they think they hear — due to ethernet cables, switches, etc. — aren’t real. The only thing which could ever convince them of that is if they did a blind test. Which, of course, is why none of them would ever dare do that.

If the purpose is to inform people like the OP, who genuinely want to know whether “audiophile” ethernet cables and switches can make a difference, then it’s far from a lost cause.

There are sound scientific reasons, backed up by measurements which say that they can’t. Bringing that information forward is useful to those who are not already lost to science and reason.

8 Likes

Measurements only shows whats being measured, and there is no proof that whats being measured covers everything the ear can hear. So don’t try taking the “science” highroad because that simply isn’t true, there are absolutely no proper science to back your claims.

Fact is, ethernet cables carries electronic noise, and electronic noise can affect the output of a DAC. Lots of measurements that shows that btw! Once you realize that, you will begin to understand why stuff like digital cables and switches can affect the sound quality (which most of us already know from personal experience).

But you need a decent HiFi system, and/or a room with good acoustics, to hear the difference, because while in some cases its very clear usually the difference is subtle.

For people new to HiFi: even if digital cables can make a difference, its not something to be concerned about until you have a good system in a room with good acoustics (maybe in combination with digital room correction).

For the doubters: you might want to consider why Roon recommends separating core and endpoint. Its related to the discussion here.

2 Likes

Provide a link to one.

If your gear lets through electrical noise from the ethernet cables it is connected to, then your gear is crap. Well-constructed gear won’t. Perhaps you paid a lot of money for crap (which you now have to compensate for)?

More likely, there’s nothing wrong with your gear and the improvements you think you hear are all in your head.

There’s only one way to know for sure.

3 Likes

[Moderated]
You are entitled to your opinion and you have your own experience just like I have my own opinion and my own experience. I am stating my experience for the benefit of others that may want to try different cables / setup to see if they can improve their sound. Will send you my set up details privately.