Do YOU add anything LESS than lossless files to your Roon library?

I have all of my music partitioned and analyzed. I then disable my MP3s. If for what ever reason I wish to listen or more or less explore I then enable this storage location.

For the most part they are disabled.

–MD

2 Likes

Most of my collection is taken from CD rips in Apple Lossless - but (especially in the days before Roon) I flirted with Amazon and iTunes downloads, so I have a smattering of MP3 and AAC files. Many of my MP3s are digital copies from download cards with vinyl LPs. To buy something now on MP3 I’d say my hand would really have to be forced - i.e. the album genuinely not available in any other format. A great recording, well encoded as MP3 can sound great- especially as rendered by Roon. Lossless is always preferable though.

1 Like

No, I would never desecrate the temple that is my Roon library with unclean data!

(Actually, I’m lucky I went straight from ripping bought CDs to streaming via LMS about fifteen years ago, so never actually bought a downloaded album. If I had, I’m sure I would have sneaked the blighters into my Roon library. I am a cheapskate.)

1 Like

Nope. CD quality is as low as I will go, and that includes radio stations. I think that means Radio Paradise and not much else.

I tried listening to other stations with 320 Kbps or less and after a while it just sounds annoying. It reminds me too much of trying to listen to Sirius XM.

I have a few old iTunes purchases/downloads that I can’t find on Qobuz and I don’t care enough about to purchase again in a different format. So those are in there somewhere.

I have a few MP3s of albums which have never been released in any other way digitally.

2 Likes

Me too.
Some artists only do MP3 releases, heck even if you buy a cd of their site it’s just the mp3s again.

Yes, I do.

Because I think not every album / track I’ve purchased from Amazon or Apple warrants a lossless replacement. But I try to avoid lossy format purchases nowadays.

2 Likes

I only have kept a few MP3’s that are unique and otherwise irreplaceable. A concert performance with my choir comes to mind, since that was never released anywhere.

2 Likes

I have two stereo albums from the early '70’s ripped by my son-in-law for me. One is my bother’s trio and one is my brother and me.

Maybe it’s just me, but I find that most Pop/Rock recordings don’t really benefit from high bit/sample rates. For instance, I listened to the 24/192 mono version of the Beach Boys’ “Pet Sounds” on Qobuz and thought it sounded awful. (I have the much better-sounding 16/44 Pet Sounds box.) Some of my favourite - and best sounding - music is AAC from iTunes.

I do think that Jazz and Classical recordings generally deserve high bit/sample rates - particularly if they are either original analogue recordings or digital recordings made at high bit/sample rates.

5 Likes

A lot of radio plays are only available in mp3 and I love to hear them with roon.

1 Like

The 24/192 stereo version released in 2012 sounded excellent. But, I don’t see that offered anymore on HDTracks.

Yes, Roon ‘inherited’ my old Sonos library. So not a question of deliberately ‘adding’ just moving onto the next stage with added high def music files.

I have mostly FLAC files, but some things I have in mp3 or m4a only. I add all of my ~115,000 tracks to my Roon library.

1 Like

While I have some music files that I downloaded years ago from iTunes, anything I liked enough to listen to quasi-regularly I proceed to buy on a CD and rip or download the high res file. I find compressed files unlistenable.

Sure. I have a lot of podcasts in my library, just spoken voice, and they’re MP3’s. Also poetry read aloud by the author.

Everything I still have a physical copy of, I ripped lossless. MP3 purchases or rare classical stuff just gets converted from MP3/AAC to ALAC due to Roon being able to provide gapless playback. Stuff that are just placeholders until I purchase it stay as is.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Gapless playback doesn’t work with MP3/AAC? News to me …

Seems a strange question to me. If you like the music and you only have it in mp3 then of course you keep it, replacing it when (if) possible, if the whim takes you that way.

btw this is meant as a response to the original post, not to Kristofa, which was just due to a wrong click.

4 Likes