Do You Have A Roon Fallback Plan - Options / Alternatives

Yeah, I’m one who would think that. But you don’t require a player to extract the data, just an optical drive. Before settling for a ripping app, I compared 3 different ones and all of them extracted the exact same data. Which now sits on an HDD in my house and in the cloud. It doesn’t matter what they were made of.

2 Likes

But is it exactly the same? The quality of the optical drive that simply reads the bits before going into the DAC makes a difference. Trust me. I’ve heard the difference. Also, if you’ve ever tried using software like Exact Audio Copy, you will see a myriad of options to get the best possible rip from your CD. It’s not like ripping a DVD using MakeMKV in which you get largely identical clones, but Audio CDs are not the case. In EAC, you can set it do some really serious ripping, so much so as to even wear out your optical reader/writer if you’re not careful. Software does warn you on some settings!

Yes, I compared the files bit by bit. Many times.

I’ve installed many pieces of software many times during my work from all sorts of digital physical media, including CDs. If data wasn’t the same, they would simply not work. When media was bad, I’d just get a read error. Based on that, I can’t trust you.

They are. It’s just digital data, just like a software CD, not fundamentally different than DVDs or BluRays. Always the same, no matter how many times you read it or what software you use, as long as the drive offset is determined. That’s the only setting you really need.

7 Likes

That is incorrect. Danny said that 2.0 will not work off line. Not only is there no off-line search functionality there is no offline functionality at all in 2.0. Some people hae managed to keep playing for a few minutes after internet cut off but the software then stops. So you are right you could have both if Roon changes is current design decision but unfortunately I have not seen that happen.

I am aware there is no off-line nothing in Roon 2.0. What I meant is your local library is not available in the cloud, so there is a local process, not a cloud process, searching your local Roon db’s local files. In other words, search cannot exclusively be done in the cloud or else it would miss all local files which would be completely unacceptable.

You could argue that all records exist in streaming services or at least in databases. This is not the case. In particular, I have recordings by musicians that have not been published yet, and Roon searches them just fine (I have tagged them appropriately).

What @danny detailed is that the way previous versions of Roon worked required the maintenance of complex search mechanisms both in the local library and in the cloud. In the cloud you can optimize search in ways you cannot locally, I get that, and he explained that local search is basic but is there.

1 Like

Just for information, some people have managed to keep playing for a few hours, not minutes, without internet. I managed just over 3 hours. Somebody else reported 4. Roon 2.0 is not designed to work without an internet connection, but the exact time it stops playing during an outage cannot be reliably predicted.

Perhaps I misunderstood Danny, but I thought he said that the local search engine was removed in 2.0? :thinking: I’ll have to see if I can find his post I’m thinking of.

My interpretation of what has been said: If you’re searching a very large db like they do in the cloud, it pays to have a sophisticated mechanism that might be too complex to deploy locally in your computer, especially if you’re aiming to use less capable core machines. But local searches have to happen locally and then merged with the cloud results.

You could also push the local DB to the cloud and do all search there.

Surely, but they don’t and it makes sense - the local search is a simple text search on what you have locally. Uploading everyone’s db would be expensive. Mine is about 15GB now, so possibly 6-7GB of local data. Doing a cursory check on metadata seems more efficient.

I imagine the way it works is there is a cloud db with all of the albums data exists for and its in a db format and using specific analytics that speed the search up tremendously. You only need one database to do this with every possible album. Then each albums has an identifier and only those get sent back to the local machine.

I found the post I was thinking of;

This line in particular stood out to me;

“… With 2.0 we killed the local engine. So now all search requests go through a single unified engine that will continue to improve…”

It reads to me like search is now only handled in the cloud, perhaps using one’s database information to inform the cloud of what’s in one’s local collection.

You can read that as “all search requests go through the cloud” which is true, but that does not imply that local files are not searched locally.

Regardless, this is a completely pointless discussion as search will not work without an internet connection and that will not change.

4 Likes

Agreed. We’re just interpreting the post differently. All good. :grinning::+1:

1 Like

This is correct.

@Saturn94 my wording was unclear… the “engine” in my head is the thing that organizes the results (mostly prioritization) – the searching still happens locally, but the results are useless unless prioritized property. That happens in the cloud better than on your Core, because your core has no knowledge of “everything”.

it’s also off-topic from having “a Roon fallback plan” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. This kind of stuff isn’t my forté, but I’m trying to learn/understand. :slightly_smiling_face:

My apologies for the sidetrack. Back to your regulary scheduled program. :+1:

Roon 2.0 won’t work without an internet connection :frowning:

My fallback is my local library on my Mac mini. I can always fire up Audirvana or Plex when needed.

Fallback plan is in place; a second but smaller Cirrus7 (Celeron-based) fanless NUC with Daphile installed and all my local files loaded on the 1TB internal 2.5" SSD. It is able to play them as long as there is power. Didn’t switch back yet to Roon since it arrived two weeks ago…

7 Likes

Where did you get the cases from? They look cool!

Those aren’t cases, they are computers.

1 Like