Do You Have A Roon Fallback Plan - Options / Alternatives

I find Audirvana works well when connecting via my RPi4 running RoPieeeXL except I normally need to restart the RPi4. Where I have problems with Audirvana is streaming to Oppo 203.

Roon Fallback Plan for me:

1. Linn DSM + Linn Kazoo
  2. Sonos

Both have Qobuz integrated.

Yep, I think you all set with as near as I can figure with 178K tracks…that’s equal to about 500 days of continuous music 24/7!!!

I have activated Roon fallback plan for the weekend. Streaming Apple Music with iPhone 11 Pro Max via Apple camera adapter and AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable to Mojo 2 and Focal Clear headphones. I may even give Audirvana 3.5 a go later if I want to use the Bose system.

I’m patiently waiting and hoping for a Roon update early next week.

Listening to this…

8 Likes

Looking forward to more ideas as well. My Nucleus can go anywhere from 1-5 days before crashing and restarting. My goal is not to purchase more equipment. I want to utilize my MHDT Orchid , with my marantz 7005 AVR. I also have a Oppo 105. Any suggestions for a “backup” sans Roon would be appreciated

1 Like

I have activated Roon fallback plan, which is Linn Kazoo+Qobuz, since build 952 came out.
Impatiently waiting for the fix…

As a software engineer, I think 99% of the show stopper bugs (in this case build 952 issues) are caused by some simple bugs.

10 Likes

That should be ‘up front’ rather than ‘fall back’

3 Likes

Apple Mac mini M1 SSD to Dac .

Using Apple Remote . Using Sampling Switcher that apparently won’t be updated.

1 Like

I guess this thread has new life post Roon 2.0 for those with inconsistent internet service. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

So, if I had a bunch of music files, I would amend my fallback plan slightly. With my Nucleus running Roon 2.0, I would put my Dell on Roon 1.8 Legacy. When and if that stops working, I would buy a lifetime license to Audirvana Origin.

1 Like

But Jim You have no files. :wink: you are my hero actually. I have way too much stuff and like your ideas (when I’m gone, reformat the hard drive). Both my home and weekend place are in the direct path of Hurricane Ian. I secretly hope both are flattened. Then I can move more quickly to no stuff. But as my wife says, it has to be complete destruction. Just major damage leaves us with the headaches.

Edit: and we are physically in Quebec right now on vacation, so not in any personal danger.

4 Likes

Sold the Myrtle Beach condo in about 1994 when son left for college.

Up until now, I didn’t think I needed a fallback plan. :frowning:

The recent developments have me wondering what I would do. I guess my Oppo 103’s local music streaming would do in a pinch. It only offers folder views, but at least it will play my local files, including multichannel (important to me).

I really don’t like we are asked to choose between mobile access and offline playing of local files via a soon to be unsupported software version. Throwing money at more hardware and software doesn’t appeal to me either (retired, limited budget). :frowning:

Since I’m on a Lifetime license, I’ll just go with the flow (2.0 and beyond) until Roon no longer serves my needs.

3 Likes

@Saturn94 , I haven’t read this entire post, but as long as Roon honors their original commitment to Lifetime Subscribers, we should be okay:

Danny Dulai, Roon Labs COO Oct '25, 2015
"Obviously I can’t tell what will happen in the future, but it would leave a very poor taste in my mouth if our lifetimers were not taken care of… for life.

In the unlikely event that we could not maintain those services, we would release one last build that would kill those dependencies, so you could continue to use the application without our infrastructure as a requirement. Obviously the functionality would be reduced, but it would work."

That statement, from 2015, makes sense in context of a time when Roon functions resided on our cores. It would be a simple change in code to just have Roon stop phoning home. However, Roon is moving away from functions residing on our cores and moving such functions into the cloud. I think somewhere along the line Roon decided it needed to do this in order to move in the direction they wish to go now. It seems this makes it much more difficult to change the code back the way it was. In the event of Roon’s demise, I really don’t see them spending the time and resources to completely rewrite Roon code to place functions back onto our cores.

Just my 5 cents (high inflation :wink:)

1 Like

At the rate Roon is growing, I have long given up on the notion of their demise. Yes, I realize it says 2015, but Danny hasn’t recanted or changed the context of a “last build”. Until he does, I’ll continue to believe the chances of me winning the lottery are better than Roon going broke. Now on to more pressing matters, like CarPlay…

1 Like

It would be nice if Roon would reafirm, or amend that statement in line with their foreseeable plans.

Not knowing how healthy Roon is (any if us really know?), I have no clue what the chances are of failing, though I suspect a more likely scenario is selling to a larger company.

Time will tell.

My apologies for wandering so far off topic. I’ll end this line of discussion here. :relaxed:

2 Likes

Well, physical formats once again show their true worth!
(CD unit hooked up to the Auralic Altair G1)

5 Likes

I ripped my CD library of approx. 2,000 titles back when the Logitech Duet was in vogue, then spent many years downloading mp3 files to my WD external HD. After going lifetime with Roon in 2015 I discovered Hi-Res files up to 24/192 and found out (after many denials) that (for me) Hi-Res files made from the same masters as mp3 files sound better. So I then got subscriptions to both Tidal and Qobuz and curated my mp3 files to the best audio format available. Now I add new music from those services. The possibility of them going under has me contemplating an upgrade on Qobuz where I can buy files of music I absolutely don’t want to lose. At $100/month I could conceivably have essential music in a couple years.