Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

I really wanted to stay out of this thread… but your post kind of brings up points of some things I thought about… so why not :grin:

There is an assumption here that because LMS+squeezeplayer with memory playback sounds different to Roon, that different means technically better…

Even if @brian were to nail double blind testing and correctly identify that Roon and LMS+squeezeplayer with memory playback sound different… can different actually be technically worse?

For anyone that follows Rob Watts (Chord DAC designer) posts on Head-Fi or has the chance to chat directly with him:

"As you know, RF noise creates noise floor modulation, as the intermodulation distortion from random RF noise is a white noise modulated by the wanted signal. This then results in noise floor modulation, and is very very audible. It accounts for the things sounding brighter and less smooth; additionally, when you reduce RF noise, things sound considerably warmer and darker, and one consequence of this is perception of tempo - more midrange gives the impression of a slower tempo, as individual instruments have much more body.

Now if somebody prefers the brighter sound from more noise floor modulation, then fine - that’s their taste and preference. But it’s not accurate."

Rob has said publicly (many times on Head-Fi) that he often sees people incorrectly thinking one digital source is “better” than another (yes we are assuming bit perfect playback here) but they may actually be enjoying something that is technically worse… mistaking more ‘detail’ for more RF…

So is it possible that those reporting more detail, more dynamics with LMS+squeezeplayer with memory playback , are simply enjoying the results of increased RF, causing increased IM distortion and noise floor modulation…

Hard to know for sure unless someone measures?

So is this thread asking @brian to do noise/RF measurements?

Or should the people making the claim be doing this and bringing results to Roon?

I’m just asking questions! I’m not brave (or smart) enough to make any claims.

5 Likes