Does Roon download entire track into RAM? [Memory Playback Discussion]

For what is worth, I preordered the Innuos ZEN MK3 (I could not afford the ZENith MK3). It should arrive in 1-2 months (I am in US).

When it arrives, I will try it as:

1 - a Core only, with the Roon Ready bridge built in my Ayre QX-5 Twenty (my current Roon player, with NUC i5 BNH ROCK). In this scenario, I will use the ZEN as bridge for Ethernet (router to ZEN, then from Zen to Ayre).

2 - As a Roon endpoint (USB from ZEN to Ayre) and Core

3 - As a LMS / Squeezebox player to Ayre via USB cable and iPeng 9 iPad app

I can report back here if anyone is interested

1 Like

Hi @James_I. In response to your post no.74. This is precisely what I suggested to @BigAIMc in posts 36 and 43.

@BigAIMc, you clearly love the sound of your Zenith feeding your DAC, so it would follow, that you must use the Zenith as your end-point, not use the zenith as core and use another end-point as you have said you already tried. A different end-point would possibly have a different sound signature to the Zenith, that you know and love.

My original suggestion still stands… try Roon Core on a PC, a laptop, whatever you’ve got lying around (I was suggesting this as a test, so you can borrow a laptop if you haven’t got one). Set the Zenith up as an end-point and see if the sound comes up to the quality of LMS.

If it does, you can choose whether you fancy the outlay of a few hundred dollars for a dedicated core or not.

1 Like

@BigAIMc . I was never suggesting “get an endpoint”, I was suggesting “get a core” and use the Zenith as an endpoint.

1 Like

Agreed

10 chars

Seriously what is it with you lot.

Why does the idea that this is a software request keep getting responded to with suggestions that I buy more hardware?

I’ve tried running Roon Core on my laptop and Roon as player or endpoint on my Zenith. It doesn’t sound as good as the Zenith doing both.

One last time before I unsubscribe from this thread in response to the Stepford Wives responses.

The Zenith sounds better on LMS mode because the software is configured to playback from memory. I’d like Roon to explore doing likewise.

Try to grasp the notion of a software request rather than sending condescending responses telling me I’m doing it wrong. I understand the Roon architecture. That doesn’t necessarily mean they cannot look into this method of improving the SOFTWARE.

1 Like

You want to buy “audiophile memory” to go with the “audiophile fuses”? The marketing copy almost writes itself.

1 Like

You subjectively believe it sounds better, doesn’t mean there’s actually any difference. Roon have given you a door to open yet you refuse to open it. Instead you persist in the mistaken belief that they should jump right in and investigate because you deem it necessary.:joy:

6 Likes

Right @BigAIMc.

You never mentioned you’d used a laptop for your core and the Zenith as an endpoint.

If you’d mentioned that you had already tried that in response to my post 36 instead of saying -

I would have shut up ages ago. As it stands I will shut up now and bow out of this discussion.

Thanks for your time.

1 Like

“Ignored” is probably a bit much. This is a large complicated software project. Technical meetings about such typically focus on four or five pressing issues, out of possible dozens. I’d expect an issue about possible optimization outside of the clear architectural path to remain low priority. Not to say ignored, but never to find sufficient headroom in the development process to come to the fore.

No, more damning than that, even if an audible or measurable difference exists, Alan has engaged faulty cause/effect logic to conclude that memory playback is the reason.

AJ

3 Likes

No he has not. Alan discussed the matter in person with Nuno Vitorino of Innuos - at the Bristol HiFi show - and Nuno explained in great detail why it was memory playback that made the LMS player sound so much better than Roon.

Innuos are also looking into whether they can figure out how to get the Roon implementation in the Zenith to also use memory playback but are on record saying it’s tricky because of the way Roon behaves. Still kudos to them for listening to and looking into software enhancement requests!

1 Like

I might suggest something: instead of insulting all of the people who took the time to respond to your thread, maybe just provide ALL of this information. Without that data the other posters’ questions and suggestions are perfectly valid.

James - You are right.

I apologise for losing my cool and for any insulting comments.

And FWIW I do appreciate everyone that’s taken the time to respond. I got a bit fed up with repeated hardware suggestions despite my repeatedly saying it was a software request. But nonetheless my response was rude and I apologise for it.

Thanks,
Alan

1 Like

And I spoke with Donald Trump, who explained in great detail why he was the sole reason for the US doing so well and being the envy of the rest of the world.

Back to reality. Appeal to authority does not equal proof.

AJ

5 Likes

No worries @Alan_McIntyre, we cool… :sunglasses:

So… In order of sound quality, am I right in understanding that, from worst to best you’re saying-

1. Roon Core on laptop - Roon endpoint (Roon Bridge, not full Roon) on Innuos Zenith

2. Roon Core and endpoint (Full Roon package) on Innuos Zenith

3. LMS

Where 1 is worst, 3 is best…?

Hmm… that’s interesting…

I would have thought 2 would sound worse than 1 and 1 would sound similar to 3.

Oh well, I’m sorry to hear that and have nothing more to suggest. I hope,as you say, Innuos come up with a solution, or maybe Roon can dedicate the resources to trying ‘memory playback’. I thought RAAT with just a fairly simple endpoint connected to the D-A negated the need for that. It appears that something’s happening in the LMS implementation on Zenith that makes it really shine.

1 Like
1 Like

If you are making a Feature Request, then you should start a new thread under Feature Request. It would certainly get more developer notice than sitting at the bottom of a discussion thread about Memory Playback. Discussion threads are for “back and forths” more so than a Feature Request thread. If you would like me to move a particular post to that section to start such a thread let me know and I’d be happy to help.

That being said, I will weigh in again in case you missed my post further up the thread.

Are you playing to Squeezebox hardware? If not, then I am not sure there is any discussion to be had. Local playback of LMS has always used a software endpoint on the same machine and Roon does not support any software Squeezebox endpoints. Roon’s Squeezebox support is designed for use with actual Squeezebox hardware.

This is from the Squeezebox FAQ:

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Squeezebox_Setup

Last Paragraph, any bolding is mine:

So, could you use something like this Pyle Pro PAD6 USB Audio Interface to capture the two different renderings for comparison?

Hi Dan,

Yes, exactly. 1 sounds worst, 2 is better but 3 is best.

Not really that surprising if you look into the Zenith SE and the lengths Innuos went to in order to create a kick ass low noise server. Including but not limited to the Sean Jacobs designed toroidal linear power supply, a carefully selected motherboard and custom OS that runs only audio services.

Compared to my Lenovo laptop running Windows with no audiophile tweaks it really shouldnt be a contest and isn’t.

FWIW I feel Roon users tend to put too much faith in the Ethernet cable to the endpoint solving noise. It reduces it but some still gets through and we’re only just starting to understand this stuff.

Cheers,
Alan

1 Like

Hi @Rugby,

I didn’t know about the feature request section so thanks for that. No need to move it though as not my thread and I’ve made my case to the point of probably overstaying my welcome.

No Squeezebox hardware. Just a software implementation on the Zenith which then plays via USB direct to my DAC.

Cheers,
Alan