DSD ISO Support

I like Roons decision to NOT support iso-files. Thats a completely unnecessary feature in a music playing software.

If you have the skills to rip your discs to ISO files, you should be able to convert the music into reasonable files also. It’s not like its hard work? EZ CD Audio Converter will batch convert your ISO’s for you, into DSF-files.

Hello Mikael_Ollars,
not only do I think it’s VERY irritating that you have positive feelings about other people’s wishes not being addressed (if it happens more often it is not a rude response to suggest you seeked help) - I also can’t find a single reason/benefit for anybody in your answer to the thread.

if it is no concern to you: just try to act accordingly by doing NOTHING.
Or do you KNOW that roon is working on something, that is very important to you, that would suffer from supporting ISO?

Just image there was no Tidal support in Roon and you suggested to add it. Then I go like: “I’m very happy about Roons decision not to support Tidal because I’m a heavy EZ CD Audio Converter user and only listen to sources I ripped myself.”

3 Likes

@tagger: Mikael is giving his opinion and supports this with an argument.
I value Mikael_Ollars opinion, the same as I value yours and other’s.

1 Like

This is a feature request. It’s here so users can share their opinion about it. Users are allowed to have different opinions and don’t have to agree with a feature request to participate in the discussion.

I keep recommending JRiver and Audirvana to people who ask me about which software to use for ISO playback.

I am going to quote a dev from up-thread in case anyone missed it.

2 Likes

Free playback software offers that feature.

1 Like

How did the free software resolve this problems? Are this features even included in the free software?

Nobody asked for these features.
Playback would be fine. Just playback.

2 Likes

Sorry if my last posting bothered anybody - wasn’t my intention.
So back to exchanging opinions:

• there might be thousands of different reasons why ISO support could be helpful for a specific usecase.
  • there might be thousands of reasons why somebody has ISO files.
  • If a user can avoid the effort of converting them in order to listen to them via roon, it would be a useful feature, because it saves time & effort. I read of users with 1.500+ ISO files in another thread.
  • Yes, for somebody, who doesn’t have ISO files it is an unnecessary feature. Which is true for ANY feature a user doesn’t use.

If you can you relate to the example I stated with Tidal support, you might understand what intention I had when posting the answer.

@Rugby yes, I read this thread too. As in my statement: nobody would be shocked if the options are limited with ISO files. In my opinion, the main reason for integrating ISO would be to listen to the pieces.

3 Likes

@Mikael_Ollars didn’t say that he doesn’t have ISO files. But he made a point by pointing out that there is software available that can batch-convert ISO files in single track DSF files.

From what I have seen, Roon devs are not willing to create a solution that creates a situation where there is different performace/specifications between different sources. In effect, setting up a second class existence for some source content.

Danny mentioned export issues, deletion issues. But, but album identification and other processes would also have to be modified.

If Roon were to tackle ISO handling, and to be clear they haven’t said they would not, I suspect that it would have to be up to a level of the rest of the software. Meaning, just adding playback alone probably would not happen. The solution for the other issues concerning ISO would also have to be addressed at the same time.

1 Like

I think it depends how many SACDs you own. I already converted more than 1000. I know it is work and time lost. You need to buy more storage etc…

Nobody said that there are no downsides. I think every compromise comes with it’s downsides.

Which compromise?

OK - let me correct myself: For somebody who doesn’t want to use ISO files, it is an unnecessary feature. Which is true for ANY feature a user doesn’t use.

Also, I hope to have made a point that avoiding converting effort is a good thing.

2 Likes

As of now, that you have to convert the ISO files to be able to play the tracks in Roon.

This is no compromise. This is complete unnecessary work on my part. A waste of my time and money.

that sound’s compelling and I like their approach.
If they decide to support ISO in the future, the result would be much better.
But I’m sure most of the users who placed or supported the feature request would be ok with the compromise (to only support playback).

one last thing: i just sorted all the feature request entries by views.
I know this number depends on how long it was online already, etc.

Fact is, it is the top 5 most viewed feature request entry in the forum (with >25K views at the time of writing this reply; not including all the duplicate threads).