DSD multichannel playback via this chain? NUC+Rock HDMI out -- Oppo 103 HDMI in -- Marantz AV7704 HDMI in

I did try the DoP setting in Roon, but no go.

Looking at the specs for the 103, notice that DSD is mentioned as supported for HDMI Output, but not for HDMI Input.

I hope something in my posts help.

1 Like

I’ll restate it again: You cannot use Roon to send native DSD over HDMI from Intel onboard HDMI running Linux.

Normal HDMI audio devices do not support DoP over HDMI.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

So that leaves the question, will the Oppo 103 accept DSD via it’s HDMI input? Looking at the specs in the 103 manual, it appears the answer is no.

For me personally, it’s not an issue, as letting Roon convert DSD to PCM sounds great! :+1:

OTOH, this is the spec for the UDP-205 that I use:

IMHO, that confirms that the 103 lacks that feature, otherwise it would be mentioned in the 103 HDMI Input specs.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify, @wklie . Are you including Nucleus/ROCK in this?

@noris, sorry to drag you in here, but would you be willing to clarify whether the following is still accurate, please? And if so does it include NUC+Rock? Thanks!

(Once again, not trying to fan disagreements here – just trying to wrap my head around various distinctions regarding sources, endpoints, and connection methods – and maybe this can be somewhat useful for others as well. I do know that this topic keeps coming up, and I started this thread because I was and am still unclear after reading numerous previous threads, on Roon as well as elsewhere).

@Saturn94 – I agree, that seems to settle it for the Oppo 103…

Yes. ROCK runs Linux. It cannot output native DSD over HDMI from the onboard Intel HDMI.

I agree with noris’ post. If Roon Labs said it can output DoP to HDMI, then it certainly does.

The problem is, where do you find a HDMI receiver that accepts DoP from HDMI. (Not talking about native DSD over HDMI.)

@wklie Thanks again. I think my limited understanding is playing into my confusion here then. You are making a distinction between Native DSD and DoP — is that right? And you are indicating that the former is not possible over HDMI in Linux. But the latter is, under ROCK

Is this correct…? Thanks!

That is correct.

Thank you!

No no, I stream PCM only, no DSD. And I use Asio4all

@Joachim_Strobel – Thanks for the clarification!

I own the Oppo 103EU and the Oppo 105D as well. Wunderful machines: I rent SACD’s from libraries in the Netherlands for free (!) and copy the SACD into DSD 5.1 via the Oppo and free Sonos software. (Google it: very simple). Then my Windows Roon laptop goes HDMI out to the Oppo 105D and voila: DSD signal goes to Devialet220ProCI amplification and Quad ESL2812 in surround settings. Studio and Stentor subs… Picture by 122inch beamer. The top. Roon standard is 32 channels and I have configured it pro channel. Sweet Room into the Devialet; SUPER!

Please post a signal path screenshot. Thanks.

Hi Wklie,

My signal path screenshot for the 5.1 settings is:

My signal path screenshot in stereo is:

The Roon screenshot for the DSD files is:

The Roon screenshot for more than 1.600 recorded records is:

The Devialet screenshot for the Sweet Room correction is:

1. I configured Roon as an Oppo 205 owner; the 105D functions perfectly that way;

2. 174,6 kHz sounds better than 192kHz. A couple of months ago I heard one of the best Roon servers you can buy at this moment: Grimm Audio MU1 (Euro 10.800). I spoke the CEO and a designteam of more then 10 people were years busy to design and to build the machine. I was intrigued by their ideas and the sound quality of the MU1, so I thought: how can I relieve the DAC as much as possible to raise the sound quality further?
    That’s were my settings are coming from

3. You can see I recorded more than 1.600 records in 3 years of time. In 24bits,192kHz via a top-turntable from Clearaudio, Erlangen. Those records sound the best via AIR-Devialet in stereo and not high-calculated in DSD format. 44,1 kHz goes to 176,4; why? see 2.

4. I found on the internet measurements for my Stax 507 headphones on a Russian website. The Quad ESL2812 are very good tested by The Absolute Sound in 2016: their measurements I have set into the Devialet amplifiers. So my 2 corrections have nothing to do with a room correction; its purely meant to raise the sound quality as it is. And it works fine.

In the first signal path, you’re converting DSD to PCM before sending it to Oppo.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the Oppo 105D takes only stereo, not multichannel, DSD over USB. I didn’t buy a 205 when this restriction was still there…

AFAIK, there are no publicly available audio drivers for any operating system that output DSD over HDMI on anything that you’d normally call a computer.

Caveats:
— Yes, there are clearly Linux drivers for the various ARM, etc. SoCs in your Blu-ray/SACD player. Good luck getting hold of the source code, and they’re highly likely to be hardware specific.
— Bryston appears to have stereo (but not multichannel) DSD over HDMI in the BDP-3, which appears to run Linux on an Intel-based motherboard. I am not aware of this driver being available separately, nor source code for it.

Good luck!
PS: I broke down and bought an exaSound e38. I am quite happy with it. The Okto DAC-8 wasn’t available at the time; I would definitely investigate it as well if I were in the market now.

We also have stereo DSD over HDMI output from the discontinued Lumin S1 / A1 / T1, but those were made possible by a specific Silicon Image HDMI chip in conjunction with our custom programming.