DSD multichannel playback via this chain? NUC+Rock HDMI out -- Oppo 103 HDMI in -- Marantz AV7704 HDMI in

Whoa. I was just clued into the fact that you are using a Nuc/Rock and that means Linux. AFAIK, there is no native support for DSD over HDMI in Linux. All my experiences with “PCs” is with Win-based PCs. Sorry.

no and no again.
Through HDMI there isn’t a support for native DSD from a PC. It doesn’t matter, if you’ll use an Oppo or connect the the Roon Core or endpoint directly to the Marantz.

@mitr – No problem, thanks for the update. I did actually go ahead and purchase a used Oppo 103 – I came across an opportunity to get it for about $1000 less than an Okto would cost at current exchange rates, so I thought I’d take the chance. I can test it with my Windows 10 laptop that used to/still can run my Roon core. If that works, I wouldn’t be averse to switching my NUC to Windows 10.

One question: in your usage where this has worked with Win+Roon+Oppo, were you using Windows 10? And ASIO drivers? Thanks for any information.

@Burkhardt_Petermann – thanks for the input and help.

With such different views on this topic, and with limited understanding of my own, it’s confusing for me to assess things! (These are the kinds of diverging views that made me create this thread in the first place).

As I mentioned in my previous post, I went ahead and purchased a used Oppo 103, so I will see what happens and will report back to all :slight_smile: (May take a while).

It’s your choice :wink:
I’ve tried to get out DSD through HDMI from different PCs some times ago, without any luck.
At first on Windows systems with JRiver and foobar2000 and then also with Linux (also, which your system is using) in patching and recompiling kernels…
All the people, who meant the can output native DSD, can’t prove this statement.
I’m using also nearly the same hardware (Cambridge Audio BD752 and Emotiva XMC-1).
So for you, the Okto will be a solution, the Oppo not, but on the other side, the oppo is a nice machine and plays (if it’s working) without problems your SACDs from the disc (or hdd or through DLNA)…

Hi again,
because I’m interested really in multichannel DSD, I’ve researched again.
Perhaps the oppo 105 or 205 (http://help.nativedsd.com/en/articles/94445-playing-dsd-on-oppo-machines-explained) can be a solution and also (this can perhaps work for you) Oppo seems to support DoP, which receivers don’t do.
But: For DoP you must have a asio driver (asio4all is not working) for hdmi and the hdmi output must support 176,4 kHz, which is not always common.

Asio. Switch Oppo on first and select Hdmi in, then PC, otherwise it is tricky to reconnect the HDMI. Duplicate screen onto that HDMI out.

@Burkhardt_Petermann – thanks for this.

Yes, I had seen that NativeDSD page, but I didn’t think it helped my situation because it doesn’t mention playing via connection from computer for Oppo 103 (only other Oppo models, which I won’t have).

Are you able to give some links for where you found information about (1) Oppo’s supporting DOP, and (2) about the 176.4 kHz requirement, please? – thanks!

Here is some additional information, by the way, in case you haven’t already seen this (could be relevant to getting computer --> HDMI --> Oppo to work)

@Joachim_Strobel – thanks!

A couple of questions:

1. I didn’t understand the following – would you be able to explain this a bit more please?
  1. I think you previously mentioned being able to get only PCM Mch using the computer --> HDMI --> Oppo connection – is that still the case, or were you now able to get DSD as well…?

Thanks for any info –

It seems, that you’ve not read my link completly.

• For the Oppo 105 there seems the option the use the USB DAC for multichannel DSD
  • It seems, that the Oppo (perhaps also the 103) supports DoD and so you’ve perhaps a chance (if the HDMI out supports 176,4 --> this you can see in the Asio settings) to send this to your Oppo.

Your link is really trivial and says only, that Oppo can play SACDs andvsend native DSD to the AVR.

I have only had success doing this with JRMC, not with Roon.

Win 10 but the most reliable connection for this was from JRMC via DLNA over LAN,

… Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I meant PCM only. I have no DSD DAC, I did play SACDs with the OPPO‘s DSD DAC function, but do not do this anymore as I am not using the OPPO’s DAC any longer.

@Joachim_Strobel – thank you for the additional information, appreciated!

I recently tested to see if I could send DSD to my Oppo 103 via HDMI from my Salkstream III (running Linux Arch and Roonserver). My signal path looks like this:

Salkstream > HDMI cable > Oppo 103 > multichannel analog outputs > Anthem AVM 20 processor multichannel analog inputs

The only way it works is to set Roon to convert DSD to PCM before sending to the Oppo 103. I don’t know if the limitation is with the Salkstream or the Oppo 103.

Edit:
This statement in the Oppo 103 Owners Manual seems to indicate the 103 doesn’t accept DSD via it’s HDMI inputs

@Saturn94 – Thanks for this.

From my quite limited understanding, there seem to be two parts to the puzzle. First, whether PCs can transmit DSD over HDMI. Wrt to that there is, for instance, this:

And the second part is whether an Oppo as an endpoint can accept DSD over HDMI. From what I’ve been seeing it seems like most information on the interwebs (and of course your experience, and the Oppo manual) says that this is not possible. But then there are some reports (e.g., here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dsd-over-hdmi.2533913/page-2) of this being possible.

So I am extremely confused :slight_smile:

EDIT: @Saturn94 – I took a look also at my copy of the Oppo 103 manual, and a different parsing of that piece occurred to me. It could be saying that the HDMI Inputs can accept: (a) either [6ch/192kHz] or (b) [8ch/96 kHz PCM]. It’s a matter of what the scope of the “PCM” qualifier is. If it applies only to the 8ch, then the 6 ch could potentially include DSD64…

@Joachim_Strobel – one more question, please: How did you install ASIO drivers on your Win PC? Was it ASIO4All, or some other ASIO driver (and if another ASIO driver, where did you get it)? From what has been reported on this thread, ASIO4All would not work for DSD…

Thanks in advance for any information –

I did try the DoP setting in Roon, but no go.

Looking at the specs for the 103, notice that DSD is mentioned as supported for HDMI Output, but not for HDMI Input.

I hope something in my posts help.

1 Like

I’ll restate it again: You cannot use Roon to send native DSD over HDMI from Intel onboard HDMI running Linux.

Normal HDMI audio devices do not support DoP over HDMI.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

So that leaves the question, will the Oppo 103 accept DSD via it’s HDMI input? Looking at the specs in the 103 manual, it appears the answer is no.

For me personally, it’s not an issue, as letting Roon convert DSD to PCM sounds great! :+1:

OTOH, this is the spec for the UDP-205 that I use: