Dynamic Range Metering

That is great hear, hopefully it will make an appearance soon then.

Brian discussed fairly recently some ideas he had for potentially incorporating AU/VST plugins into the RoonBridge architecture in the (hopefully not too distant) future. See his post below.

I use Roon’s waveform to eyeball the ‘loudness’, works a treat. When I used JRiver, I’d have the DR and R128 values displayed. I like know if it’s an early or modern mastered album, and if, and by how much to adjust the amplifier’s volume between albums.

1.3 will implement R128 loudness range calculation during analysis (it also does loudness value)

this was also requested earlier here: Dynamic Range Metric - Track and Title - Feature Request

1 Like

Sorry for being thick, what’s a DR rating?

I guess none are too late if they’re already being incorporated into 1.3, and if not there’s always 1.4 :wink:

My basic understanding is that it is a rating given to a song or album related to compression used on the dynamic range of the sound recorded. See here for more details:

And here for a database of albums ratings:

http://dr.loudness-war.info

The rating really is a guideline and not always indicative of a great sounding record!

1 Like

Thanks! (I think I might have even asked that question before, getting old!)

1 Like

For 1.3, we gave up on this DR14 thing, because it looks like the R128 loudness range is much better information.

4 Likes

I think it is a good choice.

Hi Danny - whilst the R128 algorithm is deemed more correct it cannot be used to cross reference against the DR Loudness database, which makes it pretty pointless to some users. FYI - J River and Audirvana have both R128 and DR which is the best of both worlds.

1 Like

I second @Jonathan_Dibble1. Best solution is to get both R128 and DR informations as JRiver and Audirvana do.

Sorry, but I’m not seeing the use case here.

Both give you insight into compression and loudness, and I understand seeing the DR Loudness DB is good for future purchases (to prevent buying something horrible sounding), but when would you want to compare your own data to another DB, and what would that comparison get you?

1 Like

Hi Danny

The http://dr.loudness-war.info data here is good to use to check old releases against new to check they have not been crushed to smithereens!

Another vote for DR over DR128. Whilst the latter is technically a better indicator, DR seems to be far more widely used and therefore more useful imho. Pretty sure I’ve never heard anyone talking about the DR128 rating, but just look at (for example) the Hoffman music forums for DR based chatter and you’ll find loads.

1 Like

That sounds horrible for me. Discussions about technical measurements of audio files.
Where is the music, where are the emotions?
Can you simply enjoy a new album of a creativ artist or did you first look if DR is ok and sample- and bitrate is high enough?
For me music is not about the technical aspects, it’s about ideas and emotions.

2 Likes

So your conclusion from my preferring DR to DR128 is that I’m unable to enjoy music without delving into DR ratings? Really?

If DR ratings are of no interest to you then that’s a valid opinion, but making demeaning and fascile comments about those who do take an interest in the technical quality of recorded music reflects more on you than them.

4 Likes

Isn’t DR 128 more to do with volume levelling of tracks when playing them back or am I missing something.

I have a stereo auditory DR acoustic meter which is far more accurate than the DR database, - CLUAS 1965se.

SJB

Version identification. A lot of times there will be a Japan->US market release that is identical to the Japanese version for example. The track DR, peak, RMS, and overall DR can be used to match version or cross-reference to the DR db for version identification.

Also a good way to check for versions with clipping, but if possible please capture peak track L/R in the metadata because (L+R)/2 can cover up clipping.