Enabling IGMP and broadcast in firewalld for Linux Roon server

1. I can’t figure out how to enable broadcast. firewall-cmd --add-protocol=igmp seems to work (add --permanent should make it permanent), but I don’t know the equivalent magic for broadcast.

A: @erig0 suggested adding

<protocol value="igmp"/>

, and that seemed to work (I updated the gist).

1. I don’t know how to tie turning these protocols on to enabling the Roon server.

A: One approach is to add

ExecStartPre=/usr/bin/firewall-cmd --add-service=roon-server
ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/firewall-cmd --remove-service=roon-server

to your roonserver.service file (then systemctl daemon-reload). In my case I’m manually starting and running Roon on my laptop not as root user but as a restricted user, so I prepend + to these two /usr/bin/firewall-cmd commands so they run as root. It seems to work: systemctl start roonserver enables this service in the firewall (use /usr/bin/firewall-cmd --list-services to check) and I can control Roon core, and systemctl stop roonserver disables it.

1. Is there some way to get Linux to let you know when it’s blocking network packets?

A: In the Firewall GUI, change menu > Options > Log Denied from “Off” to “All” or “multicast”, then look for messages in journalctl on the particular network interface, e.g. ernel: FINAL_REJECT: IN=enp0s31f6 .... I was never able to find particular failure messages when my Roon controller couldn’t find Roon core because of firewall blocking.

Thanks everyone!

2 Likes