End of the NUC era - Intel NUC discontinued [UPDATE: ASUS and probably others will now supply under licence]

The Intel NUC is an amazing little PC and was a stable platform for roon to base roon rock and the nucleus on.

What happens when Intel stops making and supporting them?

I work in IT and these mini PC’s are fantastic for SMB, will be sad to see them go.

Hi Paul

Have a look here:

Torben

I’ve merged your post into the existing topic thread…

2 Likes

I came across news on The Verge and Appleinsider websites today that Intel is officially ending their NUC line of computers. (links below)
That effectively leaves us ROCKers without an officially supported HW platform for our installations when the time comes to replace our existing NUCs.
While I know tinkerers have found ways to run ROCK on other platforms, I’d be interested to know if Roon will be suggesting another “official” line of mini computers that can serve as a platform for ROCK going forward…?

1 Like

Have a look here:

Torben

2 Likes

I am running roon rock on a standard mini ITX motherboard with a core i5 6th gen, no issues what so ever, it does not have to be a NUC. Infact the only stipulations I have come up against is it has to be intel and has to have legacy boot. That leaves open a massive, literally massive market of options.

It may well work but the issue is less for the user and more for Roon. They need a well-defined platform of manageable size for Roon OS, not 5 million PC configurations that are impossible to test

1 Like

Maybe we will finally see beta testing for ROCK on arm….

1 Like

Yep, I’m currently using a Mele Quieter 3C.

I have ran this with Rock only, but doesn’t allow me to use the built in WiFi. Although, best on ethernet.

I have also ran Roon Server on Ubuntu, and currently have it running Windows 10 :pensive::face_with_spiral_eyes:, with Roon Server on that.

In each way it runs smoothly. I have ran up to 4 endpoints with several DSP settings. It isn’t a power house but gets the job done.

I have also ran Roon Rock on other machines without issue.

I’m hoping to have my Dell Optiplex repaired tonight, that has a built in CD drive recognised by Rock for ripping. However I run Windows on that machi e and use other software for ripping.

The world is not doomed if the NUC vanishes.

:wink::grin::innocent:

1 Like

Since when? Since the 12th generation architecture N100 (call it a Celeron or not, Intel has discontinued that terminology) benchmarks significantly faster than the 7th generation architecture i3-7100U (in the Nucleus) and other Roon minimum specification processors.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5157vs2879/Intel-N100-vs-Intel-i3-7100U

Instead of relying on superficial reading, please try doing a modicum of research before posting.

AJ

5 Likes

Well I was waiting for an excuse to click that add to card button on amazon for the mac mini M2 to replace my aging NUC5i5

1 Like

Very slightly off subject here, but my old NUC has just developed a problem so I am buying a new Intel NUC11Pai5. To put ROCK onto this is simply a matter of uploading from the USB stick that I downloaded it onto when I installed for the first one. Is that right?

You’re probably better off, recreating that stick with a current ROCK image that supports UEFI boot (just in case).

3 Likes

Love the n100. Perfect low cost Roon solution.

Small solutions, low cost and plenty powerful for Rock, running a few zones with decent dsp.

Thanks, how do I do that please?

IDK, like you did it the last time? Follow the guide?

OK Thanks Black Jack

What does the Nucleus have to do with people buying NUCs to run ROCK? How many people do you think are still buying gen 7, i3 NUCs? Instead of doing an apples to oranges comparison to help legitimize your comments, why not do one that actually makes sense? And where on Roon’s site do they list the Nxxx (or the old Pentium/Celeron terminology for that matter?) processors as fitting the minimum requirements for any core, ROCK or otherwise?

Right back at you.

1 Like

What type of Mainboard is in a Nucleus? Is it a NUC board?

–MD

They are using older NUC internals which is why the poster above referenced them for his slanted comparison.