Expert Pro is finally Roon Ready

Very puzzling. I have been trying the past few days to see if I can make the problem occur to no avail (intellectual curiosity/empathy for my fellow Devialet owners). Played several hours of 24/192 tracks again today with nary a hiccup.

Asus RT-1900 router -> Netgear 8 port switch (gigabit) -> connected to both an Intel NUC running ROCK and with 3+GB of music files, and the Devialet 440 Pro CI via ethernet.

@mdconnelly Out of curiosity, if you use a CAT 5 ethernet cable, rather than the 100MB switch to the Devialet does it still have an issue?

Cat 5 would not necessarily slow the transmission. It is capable of transmitting at gigabit speed albeit no as reliably. Cat 6 is pretty much the recognized standard for it… But truthfully, all my cables are cat 6 or 6a so I have no way of testing it.

@mdconnelly - Yeah it was just a crazy thought on my part, assuming CAT5 not CAT5E. I have found when using Speedtest I get different results if using a CAT5E/CAT6 cable versus using a CAT5 cable with the latter returning slower download speeds (didn’t pay attention to the upload component as my upload speeds are ~20Mbps).

Using a CAT5E/CAT6 cable I am in the 475Mbps+, and depending on distance to router between 450Mbps-250Mbps using wireless.

Just crazy issue to be experiencing.

Questions for anyone experiencing networking issues:

What packet size is your network configured for?

Have you tried varying the packet size?

Do you have jumbo packet support switched on?

Just an observation:
The single biggest problem people have with Roon is network-related.
One of the more common causes are ‘mods’ of a standard network setup, usually unknowingly.
The biggest disasters come from people who are ‘network professionals’ that ‘absolutely know what they are doing’.
Seems if you need to ask the question, this shouldn’t be done. It’s probably worse if you believe you know the answer.
Just sayin’

1 Like

The new UpTone etherRegen is probably good here. With four gigabit ports plus a SFP cage on it’s “A” side and a single 100BaseT port on the “B” side for connection to the audio device.
Listening reports are extremely positive, but no one has yet used it in front of the Devialet Expert ethernet port so we do not know how well it will perform here.

1 Like

I suspect it will work well if feeding the Expert Pro at 100mbps speed. Of course the hope is that it will improve sound quality substantially as well… hopefully a good bit better than the $10 switch I’m using to switch from gigabit to 100mbps that allows RAAT to the Expert Pro to work at all.

But, it reminds me very much of when I bought a Sonore microRendu to be able to stream to my Expert at the time because Devialet AIR was so buggy (pre-Roon-AIR). I seem to recall it was about the same price as the etherRegen as well … another non-trivial expense to work around a problem with Devialet.

But thanks, @ogs, for the suggestion. I’ll keep my eye on the etherRegen to see what kind of feedback it gets with regard to SQ.

2 Likes

I have ordered an etherRegen for exactly this use case, unfortunately I missed the Nov/Dec production runs and won’t receive mine until January. Hopefully there’s another Expert user in the first batch who can let us know what to expect.

I also bought a microRendu at the same time and for the same reasons as you @mdconnelly :unamused: However based on my recent positive experience with the DOS 2 release for Phantom Premier I can say that Devialet appears finally to be pulling up the stick on software engineering (although there were admittedly a couple of major defects, now addressed, that according to Devialet only affected a small number of users). But let’s be optimistic and hope this newfound software mojo soon starts to manifest itself in the Expert line which is currently on a much earlier DOS 2 code branch.

By contrast I have an Ayre QX-5 Twenty, which supports RAAT & UPnP over Gb ethernet out-of-the-box and has been rock solid for the longest time, and I hear similar reports from friends with dCS electronics. This really isn’t rocket science!

Let’s hope that Devialet is on the way to straightening out the kinks in its software engineering pipe.

1 Like

I also have ran order in for the etherRegen in the January batch. It looks like there will be a few of us making reports by the end of January.

I think @Brian69 will receive his eR during December (2nd batch). Maybe he’ll say something about the eR in front of his Devialet…

Haha, looks like Antoine beat us all to it (of course! :rofl:).

Yes, he has an eR, but has not tried it on the ethernet feed to his amp directly

Oops, you’re right. Speed-reading let me down again. Now that would be an interesting comparison.

@Antoine, is this something you could please try for us (as you indicated you are thinking of doing)? Curious minds want to know! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am sure I will…

Although I am more than happy for first batch Antoine to beat me to it.

The V1/V2 thing seems to have calmed down. I was honestly a little worried for a while… and I haven’t even ordered mine yet!