Feature request: Linn DS support in Roon [done in 1.5]

I agree. Roon + Klimax DS would be an ultimate system. But both Linn & Devaliet appear uninterested.

At least the Dev’ has USB input so you can Mac Mini / whatever your way in - Linn is much more awkward.

Rik

Hence, why we need to lobby Linn.
All DS owners that are using/intend to use Roon make your voice known - please.

I tried on the Linn forums see the Roon topic. Please see the answers of Linn. I played hard but they simply dont seem to care. Maybe if more people raise their voices things might change but i doubt it. Looking at DSD, usb and songcast topics. It is very hard to get things changest if it doesn’t fit Linn agenda. Which is a shame because i really like my linn ds.

Yes echo my support for two too get together a lifelong member and an ExaKt system would love Roon and Linn to work together

I’m still giving it a go over on the Linn forum. The thread has moderate participation, but no recent responses from Linn themselves. Linn has responded to user requests in the past, though, so I still have some hope for eventual support, especially if Roon grows in popularity as we all hope it will.

In the meantime, Roon support for at least SongCast would also be very welcome.

Yes that would be very helpful

Why not get something like a SonicOrbiter or wait a little while longer for RoonBridge and roll your own endpoint and use hdmi, coax or optical into the Linn?

The DS does not have said inputs. Klimax DS was a great idea when I bought years ago but not so clever now!

I have rolled my own in parallel: Roon > HQPlayer > NAA > iFi Micro DSD

£450 endpoint vs. £10k+

Im still shaking my head in disbelief months after. I still do A/B checks every now and then😊

3 Likes

so you sold your Klimax DS?

Nope. Still lobbying for Linn to support Roon whilst I consider DACs.

Once I’ve found ‘the one’ I can then use the iFI for its intended purpose of headphone DAC/pre-amp whilst travelling!

Fortunately or unfortunately depending upon how you look at it there are a lot of DACs out there and it’s going to take awhile listening before selling the DS. I’ve heard a Lampi 4 and I’m keen to hear the new PS Audio Directstrean Junior … It’s a long shortlist.

Interesting times! Again.

evand, I am actually trying this out now using an old Squeezebox Touch, feeding its coaxial SPDIF output into the Linn DSM. Just hooked it up last night and have not had much time to listen yet, so I do not yet have a well-formed view of how the sound quality compared to using the Linn’s native streaming. I assume RAAT to a Sonic Orbiter or similar device might be slightly better (since Roon probably works best with RAAT), but have not yet pulled the trigger on a new device, since I am holding out hope for some sort of more elegant integration that won’t require additional hardware. In any event, I will be happy to report on the Squeezebox experiment once I’ve had a chance to spend more time listening, if anyone is interested.

I have a friend running Roon into a Devialet driving Vivid Audio GIYA G1’s in an acoustically treated room, using a SBT with EDO. He’s happy as a pig in the proverbial.

evand.

Thanks for the lead. Blimey, what a system that is.

Heard/read about Devialet many times but never bothered investigating further. Just skimmed their website. OMG!

If I carry on looking any deeper all my Naim pre-amp/amps are under threat of disappearing as well … :0)

and there’s a Devialet dealer just down the road.

I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Have a guess what I’m doing this weekend.

1 Like

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtl1/v/t1.0-9/1909821_518978214949451_8232615097286529435_n.jpg?oh=57ed74c61ce7a17e122167d5dfc39c52&oe=57129735&gda=1461511667_5dad9948f7307e4b6f721a94c6761adb

1 Like

You’ve got to stop leading me astray.
I’ll have to buy a new house as well now :grin:

Dear lord, those speakers look as though they were designed by HR Giger. They would give me nightmares…

“Can we dance with your dates?”

One listen and I promise two things… 1) you won’t care what they look like 2) you will want to dance

1 Like

Well, having played with the Squeezebox Touch as an endpoint for Roon into my Linn DSM for a while now (using the SPDIF coaxial output from the SBT, since the DSM does not have a USB input), my current view is that it just does not sounds as good as native OpenHome streaming to the DSM. I have no idea if a different streamer into the Linn’s coaxial, optical or HDMI digital inputs would fair better, but for now there does seem to be an audio quality gap. I would be tempted to chalk this up to my imagination, but my girlfriend commented, unprompted, to the same effect. I’m not blaming Roon or the Squeezebox’s design for this – for all I know, the problem could be in the implementation of the DSM’s SPDIF inputs. Whatever, the cause, it seems that implementing RoonSpeakers in the DSM’s firmware would yield better sound quality…I hope we can show a level of interest over on the Linn forum sufficient to persuade Linn to do this.

1 Like

Is there any news on the Linn DS intergration? Or is rhe implementation dead all together. Will Roon support openhome or highress songcast down the route? It is silent after many months my roon subscription is ending but i see zero progress from both sides please advice.

1 Like