Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

Good! Then it’s in the right state. Nothing else to do. From your screenshots, it looks like everything is working perfectly.

In case folks don’t know this - you can take a screenshot on Android with a three-finger downward swipe. How you get that screenshot somewhere useful is a different issue.

@Johnny_Ooooops - I just tried creating VPN connections using Android’s VPN UX (L2TP/PSK) and UniFi’s Teleport using WiFiMan. In both cases, the Roon Remote app discovers the core and can act as a controller but the M11 isn’t discovered as a Roon endpoint by the core. I don’t think this is surprising but I’m wondering if there’s a way to get past it. I don’t need site to site, just client. Launching FiiO Roon after the VPN connection is established doesn’t impact this.

No there isn’t as UDP broadcasts that are required for RAAT endpoint discovery are not passed from the vlan they originated without much tinkery. One Roon user did create a UDP Proxy to get around it but you have to install it on your router and it’s fiddly. Not for faint hearted.

They are two different things. The app is just a controlller with the option to output audio using androids audio output it’s not using installed code built into their operating system.The Fiio app is enabling its inbuilt Roon Ready output. It’s done as an app to allow easy on/off as many users won’t want it, I guess it also gives you the now playing and control which you would not get otherwise. If I remember my brief time with A&K they didn’t have a now playing or on screen control it was all via Roon app on another device. They just had an on/off in settings.

I was hoping this was limited to site to site scenarios but it makes sense that it’s not. Someone on another thread mentioned that ZeroTier routes UDP broadcasts. I may play with that.

I hear/read a few making these statements, and I understand that this hobby can get expensive, pretty quickly, but I thought I would send a shout out to Hart Audio Cables https://hartaudiocables.com/

I am not sponsored or affiliated, but I am a pretty good customer. I wish I could find the thread where someone here recommended them, but I didn’t see it. I have really come to enjoy their modular connector and their multi-kits. I love being able to just snap off the connector and swap it out to match the device I plan to use. And, for the cost, it’s awesome how low the prices are for the quality of cables and connectors that they use.

It will work if your core is on the same device running zero tier I think but if its not not sure. So if your a rock core your out of luck.

I buy most of mine from AliExpress some quality cables for very little outlay. Ones I have bought for iems been superb and no worse than the official ones I bought for a lot more money. Got a Linsoul balanced coming tomorrow for my Elears as I am fed up switching cables from my Mezes to them as it’s going to break at some point if I don’t.

Interesting. I’m going to try it on a Pi first. Docker on Synology is another option but requires playing with system-level modules outside of the container and I’d rather not do that. The Pi should be a reasonably quick experiment.

My first out of the house experience with the Fiio M11 Plus was a nice long walk. Not having Wi-Fi available meant that I had to listen to music I copied onto the microSD card. I chose the Beyerdynamic DT 177X Go, a very nice sounding full size, closed back, easy to drive headphones. They sounded great being driven by the M11 Plus using the 3.5mm single ended port.

For the first half of the walk, I listened to (yes I figured out to take screenshots and transfer the screenshots to my laptop):

The sound was rich and full of detail without any digital harshness. The bass, played by the great Fred Hopkins, is outstanding and sounded wonderful.

For the second half of the walk I listened to one of my favorite Jayhawks’ recordings:

Again, it sounded wonderful.

What a pleasure it is to be able to use full sized, “desktop” headphones when out and about, instead of slightly smaller portable headphones. As I mentioned earlier I ordered 4.4mm balanced cables for my Sennheiser and Dan Clark Audio headphones and the cables have shipped and should be here early next week, which means even more seriouser listening :grin: :headphones:

Edit: I just received a 4.4mm balanced headphone cable which will work on my Hifiman, Focal and Beyerdymanic headphones. Now it’s time for some serious listening to the M11 Plus.

3 Likes

@CrystalGipsy - We mentioned that it would be nice if FiiO Roon could be made to launch automatically when booting up. I don’t know how invested in this you are - it’s a pretty minor thing - but it’s straightforward to do with Tasker. I have Tasker configured to launch FiiO Roon, wait a few seconds, and then launch Roon Remote. Seems to need that little delay in between steps to work correctly.

I know you don’t run Roon Remote, so probably not as interesting for you. What this gets me is that once I power it up, I can set it back down and ignore it. If anyone is interested and wants help figuring this out, just ask.

1 Like

It doesnt bother me enough to do anything about it if I am honest. It would be nice for it stay on once turned on but i wont loose any sleep over it. I have far more worring issues with Roon itself than this.

1 Like

I’ve been connecting the M11 Plus to my main computer using the USB cable when not using the device, This enables the M11 Plus to charge and to have it ready so that I can continue to transfer music to the microSD card as the spirit moves me. A 1tb microSD card can hold lots and lots of music :+1: :headphones:

2 Likes

I am really appreciating the transfer speed, even through WiFi connection on the M11 Plus compared to older android 7.x DAPs with older WiFi standards. I think I transferred around 194Gb in less than 3 hours the other day. Previous devices, that would have taken at least 12 hours, and that’s assuming the transfer wouldn’t fail, and then I’d have to figure out what to re-transfer.

@CrystalGipsy OK :slight_smile: Sure - “Now playing” ist just fine :slight_smile: Bute why is there 2 "Now playing

Have a nice WE

Torben

Because it’s two very separate apps and that’s how Android works. You can turn one off by disabling notifications in settings for the app.

2 Likes

Testament to how good the wifi is on this device. I just queued up a ton of albums to copy using my qnap app from the Nas to sd card. Roons happily streaming to it and not dropping a beat. It’s chugging away nicely in the background.

2 Likes

I just found this review on reddit because I was wondering if the M11 Plus would be good enough for my meze Liric. and it seems it shouldn’t be a problem at all.

In case someone else is interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/10a6vev/30_days_with_the_fiio_m11_plus_and_meze_liric/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Most people look at price of the M11 Plus and go how can that be good enough to work well with them as they are almost a 2k headphone . Bias and snobbery come into play in this hobby especially from fans of established expensive Hifi brands where they can’t believe a cheap bit of Chifi can rival or beat it. Come across this on Naims forums all the time. I think the M11 Plus scales up nicely it done so with each of my sets so far.

2 Likes

I think the 11 plus is appropriate for 1-2k headphones that are not that demanding to begin with. I honestly wouldn’t want to spend more anyway on a dap.

1 Like

Straying a bit off topic:

Sure there’s bias and snobbery in play but there’s also the dirty little secret of audio coming into play as well. That little secret is that most electronics, especially in the digital domain, don’t make as big a difference as the high end audio press and online sphere would have us believe. The Chinese audio engineers and designers don’t seem to read the high end audio press. I have several pieces of “Chifi”, including the Fiio M11 Plus, and they all offer great value for the money. All of these units are well designed and very well built. The Chinese are really doing a good job of turning high end audio on it’s ear.

4 Likes