Fiio M11Plus ESS and M11S with Roon Ready is fanatasic!

Everything you are seeing is correct and Roon is doing everything as it should. MQA has ORFs the original sample rate of the material before MQA encoding is done, decoding stage and rendering stage. In Roon the ORFs is shown as the last frequency after where it’s says MQA. The file your playng is says 44.1 16 bit MQA 44.1 the 44.1 at the end denotes the original sample rate was 44.1 for this master so this is what ORFS is and this is what Roon will give you as the ORFS rate when it hands over rendering to be done on any DAC. How the DAC handles the rendering after this is unique as it applies bespoke filters for the DAC then any number of upsampling they decide. My DAC will only show 44.1 MQA for a file like this on its display but under the hood it’s likely upsampling way at higher as this is the nature of MQA. The first decode is always 2x the ORFS after that it’s anybodies guess. Fiio state 8x for MQA rendering so that will tell you what it’s more likely doing, but Roon does not get privy to this due to MQA closed nature.

What I do see there is that there appears to be some Roon Ready limitations on higher sample freq and DSD. I wonder if that’s because of network playback limitations or other things but it only shows 384/24 and DSD256 there where the DAC can do 768/24 and DSD512. Seems to be a Roon Ready trend to be under the max of what the devices are capable of is this a Roon limitation or the device @john @brian why is this it does seem to happen to recent android based devices such as the Zidooos as well.

One question about the accu lifetime after enabling Roon in the Fiio:
How dramatically is the change after enabling Roon? From 14h to 4h?

I started at 100% about 120 minutes ago and am down to 85% battery. The battery stat screen says it should last another 12 hours. I doubt that but will report back later today.

Does “Roon Ready” imply that the device is always active and prepared to play? If so, that might have an impact on standby battery life as well though not necessarily materially so and it’s easy enough to just power it down

I think the answer is yes. I don’t have to do anything on the Fiio to be able to play to it. I just pick M11 as where I want to play to in Roon. I don’t have to wake the M11 up or do anything on the app. If the app is not open, the M11 doesn’t show up in Roon obv. But I just leave the app open in the background all the time.

I am 4 hours into listening, Battery at 70%. Estimates now that it should last another 9.25 hours, which is a drop from before. It initially estimated the battery would last till 3am my time. I started listening at 1pm so that would be 14 hours. At this point (70% remaining, 4 hours played), the estimate is showing 13.25 hours total.

edit to add results
1pm 100%
3pm 85%
5pm 70%
7pm 54%
9pm 39%
11pm 20%
1am 0%
The battery lasted 12 hours running Fiio Roon. The M11 is less than a month old - battery health is at maximum levels. I never ran a test before getting the Fiio Roon app so I don’t know if it is supposed to live up to the 14 hour estimate or not.

2 Likes

Sorry for not properly replying to posts. I’m using Safari and there’s something weird going on where it seems like I’m replying to a message, but after I post it, it’s not threaded. I think the answer is yes. see below for full response.

Sounds about right. It will be always active and always polling the network as do all Roon devices so this is likely to have an overhead on the battery compared to standard SD card use. When I had the Kann Alpha it performed well under the advertised battery length when Roon was active I guess how well it does depend on how well the os manages all the resources available and Roon when it’s idle. Even the Roon app itself I have found to be a major battery drain on iOS or Android it kills my Hibys battery way quicker than using uapp.

On a A&K SP2000 activating Roon has reduced the accu lifetime about 50% or more and it has worked for me only while always charging.

If the Fiio handles this in another way, it will be great and would make it to a real mobile solution.

Is it possible to use the M11S as balanced streaming endpoint with a headphone amp ? Is there a 4.4mm to xlr cable for something like this available?

The 4.4 can be used as a balanced line out on the plus not sure about the S. Where you find a suitable cable no idea, Fiio likely do something themselves mind.

Edit a quick google shows Ifi make one

1 Like

Hello Group,

I am a bit confused by the different comments about Fiio new Roon Ready implementation for the M11…

I own a Fiio M11 Plus LTD, the AKM dacs version, running the latest firmware version 1.0.8, which now includes Fiio Roon Ready “app”.

In reality this app just appears to be a toggle to signal Core that this device is ready to stream to its audio zone, assuming the private zone is set to group share for the device. People are reporting here that it was the case for them.

This is not the case for me, my M11 isn’t showing up in my other Roon remote devices. It only appears in the audio zone when I start Roon Remote from the M11, Fiio Roon toggle On or Off.
Maybe there’s a difference/bug in the firmware compared to the different flavors of the M11?

I also own an iBasso dx320, which is showing up as an audio zone all the time and it is not even certified for Roon. I’m perplexed!?
Do I miss something? Any input from other?

Kudos for Roon Arc working bit perfect with a my Lotoo S1 dongle dac on my Pixel 7 and Samsung Tab S8 !!!

Now, only looking forward for bit perfect playing on my daps…

Fred.

Hello Group,

Replying to my own post after some findings;
After trolling around I found that when I first setup the audio settings in my M11 Roon I just grabbed the first audio device (This device) presented to me by the interface and didn’t scroll down where the Roon Ready device was listed… After correcting that by choosing the M11 Roon Ready device I am now able to stream lossless from/to my M11 :grinning::+1:
I hope iBasso is going to join the Roon Ready party.

Fred.

2 Likes

Well I have to stand corrected a little at how they have implemented Roon Ready. It does appear it launches only via their Fiio Roon app and isn’t just a switch it on/off it has to be permanently on, close it Roon Ready stops, restart machine have to start it again, hmmmm not so keen on this implementation at all. At least A&K get their integration right once you want Roon Ready it’s always available on start at any time no app running in the app tray.

I like their Roon now playing screen and its lock screen enabled which is good and has basic play aude controls which is nice. Roon remote works as normal on the device and has no issues running alongside as I thought, disabled it’s output instantly as it’s enabled by default. Using remote on my phone noticeable delay in pause and play engaging using Roon remote on device it’s more or less instant.

The display seems to say it’s playing 24bit at 32bit yet Roon shows it’s signal path as 24bit.

Wi-Fi so far is ok it’s still not on phone quality with getting signals drops to 2.4ghz more than it should but way better than A&K in this regard and no loss of audio yet.

It sounds good but yet again I am not sure it’s still the £300 better than my Hiby which is a real killer for the price.

God it’s heavy and large, but the screen is nice, turned off touch panel volume as that’s asking for quick ear damage.

It works with Roon really well so far will get back to it and see how it goes under longer sessions.

1 Like

More listening now with proper cans. Oh my this is sweet sounding and way better than my Hiby. This is better than my bed head rig really comes alive with the Mezes. And Roon Reasy is flawless so far. I see this replacing my bed rig as was the plan. Anyone want a SMSL SU9 and Schitt Magni Heresy 3, I’ll keep the Pi.

1 Like

Nooo I can’t afford to buy one at the moment, but glad it’s working out for you so quickly.

Probably going to be on my future shopp list and really hoping for some serious competition in this market

Well if you want bit perfect full Roon it’s the only way currently if they crack arc for DAPs and decide to roll out this stuff to main app it makes it moot but I can’t help thinking this is the optimum method of doing it as you keep the app to the minimum and control with phone or use the remote app if you want but I know what a battery drain it is doing nothing.

Not added any other apps yet as not needed only Roon and ARC. PlexAmp next I think but just enjoying listening now I am feeling better not back to work yet taking that easy.

1 Like

MQA working fine have one test file leaving all decoding and rendering to the Fiio it’s showing all correct in Roon Remote, Fiio Roon now playing and their own sample rate display so no idea why someone was having issues does what it says on the tin.

Thanks for the updates and explanations. Congrats on the purchase - even with the tradeoffs, seems like a great device!

Not much in trade offs really, but yeah it’s a good experience thus far after I got past the app quirk but it works so can’t complain it didn’t very well on the Kann Alpha I had so this is a win. Obviously the S version of this is a little cheaper it just lacks the THQ Amp section but can’t see it being a massive difference in SQ but I wanted it all the same. I love the fact this is now a full Roon ready streamer as much as a portable. It supports coax out and usb out if I want to connect another DAC ( arc only of course for usb). Had line out both balanced and single ended.Opens up more options. I would not want to hold it for long though as it’s pretty heavy.

1 Like