Filter after filter, does it hurt?

You likely use some software for playback anyway. Otherwise you wouldn’t be at the Roon forum.

Yes, this is what HQPlayer is about.

There are quite many DACs that allow this. With or without DAC chips.

No flaws that couldn’t be fixed. And care to demonstrate what are those flaws?

By the way, ESS Sabre is also “1-bit” in that sense :wink: .

2 Likes

I use Roon, but it does more than just ‘playback’.

But it only supports 1-bit SDM, not multi-bit.

I’d appreciate some links.

I don’t know what it uses internally, the spec sheet doesn’t seem to tell, but I know some AKM chips use multi-bit.

• Cannot encode zero.
  • Tons of quantization noise. It’s all outside audible range, but needs a good amount of filtering.
  • Signal-modulated quantization noise, no matter how much dither is added.
  • Inability to dither properly (e.g. triangular). Only a tiny amount can be added without saturating quantizer.
  • Reduced signal level (full scale at most -6dBFS after noise filtering)

The only advantage I can think of is a very simple D/A conversion (basically a comparator).

Yeah, so does HQPlayer. But I think you got the point…

It supports both…

TEAC UD-501, UD-503/NT-503, RME ADI-2 in DSD Direct mode, T+A DAC8 DSD / HA 200 / SDV 3100 HV, Holo Audio Spring / May, iFi DACs…

Not true any more than a multi-level SDM in these areas.

For example totally uncorrelated random noise output left-over from a good DSD modulator being 40 dB lower level than first of the fully correlated images with PCM input from the same DAC chip. End result being that you get best technical performance running these in DSD mode.

SDM D/A converter is a filter in itself. No matter how many levels it has. My open hardware design SDM D/A is 33-level converter and filter at the same time.

By the way you are likely listening to a lot of PCM recordings using decimated “DSD”, because lot of pro “PCM” ADCs use TI’s PCM1804/PCM4202/PCM4204 chips which are 1-bit ADC with on-chip PCM conversion.

1 Like

Thank you for the links. I was thinking of DAC chips that accept multi-bit input for the D/A stage (at 64fs or higher), not DSD.

I got the trial version, and it seems there are two output choices, PCM and DSD. For PCM, I don’t see anything above 16fs or the ability to select bit count. Am I missing something?

It can easily be demonstrated that there is no such thing.

I know… You get what you can find. I own a DA-3000 recorder, just for fun. But at least I don’t own DSD :wink: I have better use for my storage. Ideally, DSD should only be used as a D/A stage, if at all.

I’m not horribly interested in DAC chips in first place. I find discrete implementations more interesting.

PCM (8-32 bit) and SDM (1-8 bit). DSD is just an obscure marketing term, so I prefer not to use it.

You have output rate choices up to 1.536 MHz and “DAC Bits” configuration option let’s you choose anything from 8 to 32 bits.

I have two RME ADI-2 Pro’s, so I can record up to 768/32 PCM and DSD256 stereo (with HQPlayer Pro).

And one Merging Hapi, so up to 384/24 and DSD256 at 8 channels.

DSD is more efficient than hires PCM. I have quite a bit of DSD recordings, up to DSD256. You can get a lot of stuff for example from NativeDSD.

Totally agree! In that sprit, maybe you should only use PCM (not SDM), since PCM uses SDM for bit reduction anyway.

That is impossible, considering how much noise (i.e. useless information) is encoded in DSD. Besides, I’m not interested in HD, just well mastered CD.

BTW, you should read this AES paper on DSD, it’s really interesting. It shows, among other things, that 8-bit PCM at 4fs, while half the rate of DSD64, outperforms it in every aspect.

AES E-Library » Why 1-Bit Sigma-Delta Conversion is Unsuitable for High-Quality Applications

I’ve said, and demonstrated, many times before that it is total ■■■■■■■■■ It is 20 year old paper demonstrating that it’s author doesn’t know how to design proper a delta-sigma modulator. Only thing it shows that badly designed modulator will perform badly. Competent modern designs bunk it completely.

Oops…I got lost in my own topic.
However, I would like to come back to my question.
First of all thank you Jussi for your answer about the filter settings.
I hope you were able to sleep well.

Unfortunately I am still a novice especially when it comes to certain terms.
In the proposal for PCM I chose the suggested sample rate (sample rate> auto, rate limit> 768000).

PCM filters are explained in the help document. The word sharp is rarely used. Perhaps other words are used for this word, such as: sharp/extreme cut-off and attenuation. I’m thinking of poly-sinc-ext/2/3 or xtr/-short-lp.
Are the Gauss and sinc S/M/Mx/L filters also part of the sharp linear phase filters? Do you have any advice for any of these filters to start with? I now use LSN15 for Dither.

I don’t quite understand your advice for DSD material.

Is this a choice in the HQPlayerd configuration page? Do you automatically choose this (50 kHz) when you choose a filter 1x rate or 2x rate and higher?

I know where to find the ASDM5EC modulator and I assume that the DSD rate is determined by the music file. Currently a file of DSF DSD256 is playing. In Roon it shows this:

And the Topping shows this: DSD 11.28MHz

This is what my Config.page currently looks like:

In this topic I ask questions to Jussi, but anyone who has experience with this is welcome for advice.

Thanks!

I thought you were asking about DAC filter selection… You can choose your preferred HQPlayer filter, poly-sinc-ext2 is a good starting point.

No, I meant the ESS Sabre filter in the DAC.

My recommendation is to choose “SDM” as “Output mode” instead of “Auto”.