Finally, a decent passive NUC case (from HDPLEX)

If you can, yep that would be awesome.

I had a crash after about an hour or so. I need to see if thatā€™s caused by the undervolting I was trying at the same time.

Temperatures were in the mid-low 80ā€™s and stable before the crash.

Seems pretty good.

The_Goatee:

I posted a snippet of one of your photos of your HDPlex NUC build (and credited it to you) in the thread "Showing (off) Your ROCK Build . . . ". Let me know if itā€™s not OK and Iā€™ll remove it immediately. Since you posted a link to it in this thread, I was hoping it was OK. As you havenā€™t been on this thread in a while, Iā€™m also hoping youā€™re signed up to get notifications of posts directed toward you via email. In any case, thanks for your contributions!

• john

@da_Choge Thatā€™s fine, no problem at all. Larry does such a great job, I have no issues if others find it useful and it drives some demand his way when they come out.

1 Like

This looks great. Was never a fan of the Akasa cases. Will be great to mount the power supply in the case too. Does anyone know a release date?

I have that exact case though for mini-ITX rather than a NUC. It has an unusually large footprint for a NUC case. I donā€™t get it! If you are going to that sort of footprint, buy an ITX board so you have the benefit of additional peripherals such as a PCIe slot as well as the ability to upgrade your processor.

Still too large for my taste. Same with the Gen 8 Akasa solutions.

Looks like October for the H1 V3 case! :slightly_smiling_face:

https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h1-s-fanless-computer-case.html

6 Likes

:thinking:Tempting, but at $215 I will likely stick to the Akasaā€™s solutions.

Now available for pre-order.

Tempted to try and build my own fanless nuc roon rock server.

Would using the HDPLEX 80W AC-DC as internal psu be ok, or would it better to use an external lps?

Thatā€™s a question of belief.

As far as Iā€™m personally concerned, itā€™s ā€œmay the first maker of linear power supplies for computer servers bring measurements at dac output that prove otherwiseā€ (who gives a crap if itā€™s well-regulated and measures well at motherboard input, itā€™s both filtered, and going through a noisy environment afterwards, anyway) before Iā€™ll entertain bothering with having the discussion, but thatā€™s really up to whether you want to spend money on that.

One thought I had looking at all the space in that case is that itā€™d probably be possible to hack a Pi endpoint into there (electrically independent and complete with shielding, letā€™s say attached to a bracket at the PCI port), and possibly also attach a nice touchscreen, connected to that, to the front panel as well. Juuust a little bit too involved for me, but hopefully something the more competent and talented could look into.

1 Like

It is only a question of belief when you donā€™t have actual knowledge. There are plenty here who have that experience. The answer may still be yes or no, but it is no longer an assumption based on belief!

I would say based on my experience that if your core is sat near your hifi, especially if feeding a DAC via USB an LPS may be beneficial. If you go with a HDPlex LPS, it will be beneficial. You may not have the means to measure it but you will have the ability to hear if it suits or not.

Whip out the AP and prove it.

Iā€™m not giving $500 to Larry or Teddy Pardo without solid evidence. But suit yourself.

You are welcome to do the same proving me wrong. Because until you do your assertion is also belief! That is actually how this works!

If bits were anything but bits, and things like this (and other such claims like magical ethernet switches) had an effect on the end signal, then things far more important than audio, like, say, hospitals, or the worldā€™s banking system, would have been affected.

Iā€™ll also humbly remind you that evidence for extraordinary claims, which audible effects of server-side LPS, like power-cords and shatki stones, clearly falls under, is on the claimantā€™s plate.

This of course isnā€™t to say youā€™re wrong when proximity comes into play, and Iā€™ll totally buy that there are cases where poor engineering leads to issues, say, from grounding or spuriae from switching supplies affecting other components, but thereā€™s probably other, much cheaper, fixes.

2 Likes

It actually isnā€™t.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1 Like

Iā€™m comfortable with the advice I have offered. I offered it knowing many will disagree with it but I found it beneficial in my setup. :slightly_smiling_face:

Actually it is. If you think I am wrong, prove it. I donā€™t consider my claim at all extraordinary. And if you read my advice, it is qualified and I have made it clear that the result will be subjective.

You may not have the means to measure it but you will have the ability to hear if it suits or not.

I donā€™t think there is anything extraordinary about that!

And, for a long time, millions were confortable with advising that children be sacrificed so the gods may make it rain :stuck_out_tongue:

Youā€™ve given us an anecdote. If more people appreciated thatā€™s what their advice amounted to, there would be a ton less bullshit swimming around.

And lol at you telling us we should prove the negative. Get out.