Flaming Lips - Zaireeka synchronization

Glad that’s sorted. I thought we were going to have another war of the roses.

1 Like

This is an interesting read, certainly for the niche audience finding this post. Found it when I was fretting about the track listing, but it’s identical across the discs.

Am now wondering whether to mix all left and right channels, or it’s one track left, the other right. I’ll open a right can of combinatorial worms if I’m not careful.

Shame it’s not quadraphonic, that would be another challenge.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks @garye, that’s a real shame. Technically ffmpeg is up to the job but I’ve only got 20 digits…

You have lost me now! I was going to add if it was vinyl you could play it backwards too!

1 Like

Curse my completist OCD. I don’t think I can make it through 15 listens in one weekend. Hopefully the wifey will take a week-long work trip soon…

2 Likes

Yeah, the listening implications were just sinking in here also. :joy:

So ffmpeg is the Swiss Army knife software for audio and video. It’s open source but it’s got a lot of pro-contributors. At one stage the BBC used it for iPlayer transcoding I believe. Your Roon core usually wants a version of it for codec support. It’ll do most things but there’s no nice interface, it’s all arcane command line use. I personally use it for anything from high-quality MP3 creation to on the fly green screen video backgrounds. Given every copy of Roon has it I’ve considered a “tricks and tips” thread, but not sure how much interest there’d be.

And yes, it’ll reverse your audio if desired but l’m not dancing to your tunes anymore :wink:

Edit I just read this on the areverse page:

Warning: This filter requires memory to buffer the entire clip, so trimming is suggested.

Should sound great, even to the most exacting audiophile :joy:

1 Like

Some equipment reviewer should find a way to analyze stereo gear with backwards-played music. It’s the sort of feather audiophiles need in our hats…

1 Like

If a parcel has been stuck at a “distribution centre” for 72 hours, is that the right name for the facility? Asking for a frustrated friend…

Perhaps they need better power cables and Ethernet cables to improve their services…

I should be thankful, it’s with Hermes so I’ll get it sometime most likely. I only really trust Amazon, DHL and DPD to deliver on time.

Worst of all is Yodel who may be a front for a parcel kidnapping gang…

I found the discs at a flea market last weekend and will finally attempt to futz with it. I have wanted to since it’s release!
I only have a quad system, so I will be down mixing each CD to mono then combining each disc into its own channel. I think I will also delete all right channels and make a quad “left” mix and delete all left channels and make a quad “right” mix. If there is much of a difference between the three experiments, I may go further down the rabbit hole. :clown_face:

1 Like

Mine have just arrived, perhaps in spite of Hermes than because of them. Starting to rip…

Oh! You can totally get the “four system” experience in a quad system! That’s awesome!

I don’t have four systems to try this out on, but I was intrigued to hear what a mixed version might sound like so downloaded a trial version of loopback, set up four ‘loopbacks’ (which appear in Roon as audio devices), then fed loopbacks 2, 3 and 4 into the main loopback which plays to the system output on my mac, then queued each of the four disks to play to a different loopback which I then synchronised using the Alarm Clock extension.

It’s an interesting listen.

Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 19.13.36

I suspect the main loopback could be used as an input to record any mix of the four disks.

1 Like

Nice work sir. I’m just about to mix them with a bash script and ffmpeg :slight_smile:

1 Like

That sounds like a more durable solution. I’m not familiar enough with ffmpeg to know how to use it but I presume you’re mixing to a new file rather than creating an on-the-fly mix?

Exactly, ,15 copies of the album. I’m actually torturing myself as to whether to include all the LR stereo combos but it’s pretty insane then.

2 Likes

Would you mind sharing the script?