Flip the absolute phase of a CD/Album

Hi Anders, what genres do you listen too? (I then see if I can find something that we both have - my collection is very eclectic!)

@evand - as far as I can work out differences might occur if the later release of the album is remastered…

Mostly modern and avant-garde jazz.
ECM, ACT.

Classical too, but less.

If I don’t have it, I’ll try Tidal.

Appreciate it.

Here’s a couple, one right the other wrong, IMHO!

The EMC is wrong, In Pursit, correct.

Do let me know how you go.

wrong phase

How do like your Yggy? I just ordered one today. Will be interesting to see how it sounds side by side against my Gumby (after its broke in…)

@Geoffrey_Binder

Did you order with the analogue 2 board ? Mine is in need of an upgrade re usb and the new board. But I have other priories right now… Just bought a house that needs work.

New YGGY from the Schiit website with Analog Board 2 and Gen 5 USB.

I’m seeing a couple of Yggys on the used market, but those probably haven’t had the upgrades.

1 Like

yes, love it - it’s so musical! Mine’s the B and gen5. Lots of folks report rediscovering their music because if it - yep, me too, gives me a reason to hunt the phase down! @rrwwss52 a long break in is required before reaching nirvana - enjoy!

1 Like

Just leave Roon in radio mode, and let it play 24/7. Amp and preamp needn’t be on.

2 Likes

Here is another one which is quite obvious when you invert: Fairground Attraction - The First of a Million Kisses. Good for education :slight_smile:

Would be good to start a separate thread listing these albums, linked to this discussion.

completely missed that this was that thread given the ongoing discussion. :joy:

Does it matter if phase is switched, as long as its the same for both channels?

This thread is ready to receive:

How on earth are CD’s released that are out of phase are these out of copyright re-releases or originals ?

I’d say it does, but you should try it your self. With Roon it is easy to test. If you use single runs of speaker cables you can reverse it there too of course.

They are not out of phase. That would mean one channel is reversed vs the other.

Hmm i’m confused then as what’s the purpose of flipping it, or am i misunderstanding something.

Search for ‘Absolute phase’. Here is Wikipedia’s take: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_phase

That article explains what it is but not whether it is worth bothering about. I recall it was ‘trend of the week’ sometime in the 80’s but do not recall seeing it mentioned much since.