Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

I’d like to understand this better, too.

@Rune_Bakke – I think you may have misunderstood @Carl’s point above. There’s no need to tag album by quality in Roon, because Focus let’s you filter by quality, genre, years, performers, etc – it’s very easy to filter your collection this way and save whatever views you want to use regularly as bookmarks. More info here.

If there’s other information you want to have available as tags in Roon, I’d be interested to hear about it. Thanks!

[Semi-related] While it’s true you can sort by Artist, Album, etc… trying to navigate a list of 1000s of artists or albums via thumbnails is very slow and impractical in my opinion.
I realise this goes against the whole ethos of Roon, but I would like to see an optional iTunes style list view that one could use this way. It would simply require another dropdown menu next to the “Sort by…” one that offered choice of “View by” Thumbnail/List.

1 Like

Currently on my Roon album view screen I can see forty albums at once and I can move though through them very quickly with the slider bar or just typing initials on the keyboard. The iTunes list view only gives me 36 items on the screen at once. So how does a list view help? Not criticizing, just trying to understand what the benefits would be.

On my iPad I only get 18 albums but the slider and the ABC icon get me around very quick. I have never tried to use iTunes on the iPad but I don’t see a list view helping much there either.

I feel like I can live without a list view, given all the search options available, but for those of us using smaller screens, an option to reduce the size of the thumbnails would be great. Currently I can only see about 10 artists per page when I use my portable computer, and scrolling makes my head spin!

1 Like

Here is another reason for a file/folder browser. I currently have at least one iTunes song that did not import into Roon as far as I can tell. I have no way to search the file name or browse the folders to see if Roon just mis-named the file. I would also like to do some spot checks on other files to make certain other files imported correctly as a result of that error.

I believe the file did not import because it has two periods before mp3 as a result of iTunes renaming the file and a period being at the end of the song name in the file’s metadata.

1 Like

Adding another reason for browse by Folder view while also understanding all the previous posts about how ROON was designed to dumb down (for lack of a better word) or not care where the files are actually located.

I too have built a library folder structure based on my definition of what Genre of music a band falls under. Clearly my definitions of band Genre’s is different in many cases to what ROON thinks these Genre’s are. As an example, I have one top level folder called “METAL” which has Subfolders of each Band as Child folders. Inside those Child folders are the various Band Albums I own.

If use the Genre view within ROON I am greeted with Albums that based on my definition of “METAL” are not even close to the same thing. This in turn means that if I want to hit “Play” at the top level of a given Genre using a Random form of playback I wont necessarily be listening to the types of songs that I am in the mood to hear.

With a browse by folder option I will get exactly what I want to hear. Now with that said I do think the ROON Radio option does a pretty good job of keeping within the category I want to hear but it still doesn’t give me exactly what I want.

The lack of this feature and the lack of being able to Import a M3U playlist I have already created else ware are my only real gripes with the software. I am very happy with the software otherwise.

2 Likes

Genres are now fully editable including hierarchy and mapping.

You could use mp3tag or a similar tag editor to create genre file tags from your folder structure and then tell Roon to prefer file tag genres and hide any others.

For many reason described above.
An many of my own reasons, I realy mis folder structure.
Former foobar user.

2 Likes

For me, even just a link inside Roon which takes you to the music folder/file so you can edit metadata or whatever needs to be done would be nice. Roon does show the file path if you go into “other versions” so even if this became an active link that would be good.

This is available now.
Select a track and go to track info. You find a clickable link to the file location. You need the last update, the function was broken in the first 1.2 build.

Thanks for that. Never knew that was there.

Neither did I !
Very cool.

The link is there but only works if you are using the GUI while working on the RoonServer. It does not work on a remote.

Hi all,

(sometimes/often) I am a little bit “old school” an like to browse by folder Through my collection.

Is it possible?
Christoph

2 Likes

Hi Christopher,

I brought your post into this thread so you can see the above discussion about browsing by folder.

I performed the scan of all of my album covers, I’d like to be able to view, browse, one after the other within the original folders on Roon, thanks

Hi Massimiliano,

I brought your post into this thread so you can see the above discussion about browsing by folder.

This one is also relevant. I think something like you are looking for is coming and I think it might be better than browsing by folder.

+1 for some kind of folder structure view. It’s sometimes just easier to browse folders.

1 Like

+1 from me to!