Folder Browsing [Never happening] 2016-03

It isn’t really anything like that at all though is it?

The point is that Roon does not provide many options to do any personal curation of your entire collection in an easy workable way. That goes a lot further than just the two very simple examples I have been given. I could give you lot’s of other examples and everytime someone comes up with another workaround for it which makes everything even more complicated than it really should be. Just access to the content of the folder to be able to tag,bookmark, add it to playlist whatever that’s all that is needed, nothing more. I repeat it again and will repeat it again untill you finally understand: I dont’s want and I don’t need folder browsing, I need access to it to be able to convert my own curation into the Roon system, that’s all, nothing more. But it will never come I know, and it has been discussed to death, I know, so I just keep using my old player for my ‘old’ collection and that works perfectly fine. For my ‘new’ collection (streaming content) I would ike to see more options to make my own collections or partly collections according to my own critereria that make sence to me. That’s what I’m missing, not just folder browsing

So, as a user who migrated in from iTunes years ago, I have no interest in retro-tagging over 2000 albums. What I miss from iTunes is the ability to determine and set my genres. I distilled all the various jazz genres into Jazz and Jazz Vocals. Likewise I could slice and dice my classical into three or four genres. Roon added the filter which went a long way to fix the wonky search function. But I am still left with hundreds of genres if I want just browse my collection. I don’t subscribe to a streaming service, so the discovery function is of little interest. The dreaded folder structure would allow be to emulate my custom genres but it is verboten with no viable alternative.

Just my 2 cents.

Discover picks random things from your library and presents them in interesting ways.

Set your own Genre tags. I do. You can mass set tags by selecting a ton of albums, and add the tag to all of them, so even if you have a number to do, it shouldn’t be that onerous.

Then you can get them all by selecting the Tag. You could even then make the tag a Bookmark.

The problem with the tagging system is that is is one system used for about everything. It’s fine if you only use it for tagging yournown genres but the moment you want to tag something with other criteria as well things are getting messy pretty soon. There is no way to categorize tags, they only apear in alphabetical order in a drop down list that resembles a folder structure without any subfolders, exactly the thing we wanted to avoid. That’s my problem with the tagging system and all the workarounds involving the tagging system. Now you can get some more done by also using the bookmark system but it is getting pretty confusing. There must be easier ways to personalise your collection.

Is it possible to turn off Roongenres? That might be usable then.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Genres#Your_Genres_and_Library_Settings

It does work for other storage to some extent. Any directory you specify as a top level Roon directory can be bookmarked by using Focus/Inspector/Storage Locations.

I think @Progisus was referring to the lack of option to select subfolders within Internal Storage.
Perhaps we are getting there also! :slight_smile:

To continue the analogy… The jeweller then says “We like digital watches. We have the best digital watch selection in the world. All the people we employ have a similar passion for digital watches. If you really like mechanical watches, there is a store across the road that has a good selection”

And then you say “But I want to buy it here”.

4 Likes

Software specs defined by committee

3 Likes

Lots of discussions for something never happening!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Far Too True , which bit of “No Never” do people not understand :heart_eyes:

Danny,
you whrote: „While design thinking demands more time investment up front, the benefits that companies stand to gain from adopting this approach are critical to innovation and long-term success.“

I think, the most users who are asking for „browse by folder“ are not looking for a „either…or“ rather for a „as well …as“ solution. And as you said „the technical problems are trivial“ it would not waste time to go on with inovating ROON. So again the question: „Wy ROON does not give the desicion to the user?“

It’s as if they haven’t made themselves clear and explained the reasoning many times

5 Likes

I will repeat it for the very last time, we don’t need folder browsing, but for the moment we need folder access to be able to tag/bookmark etc etc our allready curated collection. We need more ways to personalize our collection alongside the automated database way Roon is handling your collection. That’s what we want and that is what the Roon team seems to be completely deaf to. They should really ask themselves WHY people are asking for folder browsing. It is only because the alternatives for personalization are not evolved enough yet. To begin with a better organisation for your own tags and bookmarks and better ways to organize your collection. Roon has a lot of great functions but it also fals short on the very basics. So before accusing someone of being old fashioned please try to imagine WHY people are asking for functions. It is time to give the basics a bit more TLC. Come up with usefull alternatives and people will never ask for folder browsing again, up till then there will always be new requests from new users. You simply can’t expect from people to completely throw away their own curation.

3 Likes

Because we have a vision for where the product is going and file browsing is not part of that vision. The decision does remain with the user as we not forcing anyone buy Roon.

That’s not how software development works. Enhancements will be requested/made and bugs will need squashing.

3 Likes

There is a burger bar in Chicago run by a well established, somewhat well-known chef. They serve basically only burgers and fries, and focus on every element of the beef - choice of nearby farm-raised, grass-fed beef, ground in their kitchen, perfectly spiced. Delicious.

Except they only serve their burgers cooked one way: medium. Well, many people, including myself, having nothing to do with this restaurant or this chef’s choice, do not like our beef medium. I’m a well-done guy. Some people complain and argue about it.

Me? If I want one of their burgers, I order two, eat around the outside.

Do I think people are wrong for complaining and arguing? No.

Do I think the chef’s decision is just plain silly, and wonder if he’s playing with a full deck? Yes.

Am I ever going to learn to eat or like the pink meat in the middle? No.

Do I still go and buy two burgers as a workaround? Yes.

1 Like