General discussion: What is killing boot SSDs?

They’re possibly cooking? Akasa fanless cases include a 'Thermal module (for M.2 SSD) ', and some M2 SSD’s have on board heatsinks, I’m not sure if a Nucleus does this. Pure speculation though…

Many of the threads I read in the past started with something along the line: “There was a power outage and now …”. So the SSD (controllers) are potentially vulnerable to surge or other power related issues?

No more so than any other Intel Nuc.

Even less so if they’re plugged into a UPS.

I wish Roon would add a suggestion to put the Nucleus on a UPS in their Nucleus FAQ.

1 Like

As seen in another thread, I think my Nucleus+ got destroyed by multiple power failures at home & now that it has been repaired, it is plugged in to a UPS (that my NAS is also connected to).
I would also highly recommend everyone plug their ‘core’ in to a UPS :wink:

1 Like

Agreed. I haven’t had any power outages in the last two months, but my UPS has briefly kicked in twice. I assume there was a temporary dip in power. I have mine running my core (M1 Mac mini), an 8tb hard drive, and one monitor.

1 Like

Most ups will regularly test the battery mode while still having power input from mains. At least the APC ones I have do this.

I guess that could be the case. Thanks for the heads up.

Plug those special boutique linear power supplies into a switching ups? Ah, right! :rofl:

1 Like

If you live somewhere that has regular power failures. We last lost power twenty years ago.

1 Like

It might not just be power failures, my house (in UK) has an RCD device that trips if something in the house malfunctions or takes too much power to stop dangerous problems & if my ‘core’ is on same circuit, it might be flipped off accidentally (which is what happened to me).

Absolutely but its more of a "you might think about " advice rather than a given. Mine is on a dedicated circuit but my wife has been known to unplug it, human factor :smiley:

:wink:
(who can prepare for ‘user error’)

1 Like

A good point. While existing standards for power supplies usually found in common (standardized form-factor) desktop PCs include some basic protection, I guess no such standard (including basic protection) exists for external power supplies and for the power supplies mentioned above (designed from non-PC electronics engineers for non-PC electronics applications), all bets are off.

General information: How Power Outages Can Damage Your Computer (And How to Protect It)

Wild assumption: Roon Labs have “Write Cache” enabled. If Roon writes data to the SSD that data is written into the Cache and afterwards slowly written to the SSD. It gives (on SSDs) a tiny performance boost (and on HDDs a massive one). However, if your Write Cache isn’t already completely written onto the SSD itself and the device loses power, the data in the Cache is lost and that causes data corruption.

1 Like

Hi wizardofoz, I like the idea of having a cloned M.2 NVMe for Nucleus.

Maybe good to have one even as Backup.

May I ask if there is a size limit that will be supported by Nucleus Plus?

I am thinking of buying me a Samsung 980 Pro M.2 and clone the Original Kingstons.

The Original Kingstons has 125 GB. This small size is not available for Samsung 980 Pro M.2.

The 500 GB version is only 5 EUR more expensive than the 250 GB…

So I tend to go for the 500 GB…

M.2 was not introduced until 2012. This “Mfg Date” you’ve identified can not mean what you assumed. That 64GB M.2 SATA SSD was probably made in 2017 or 2018.

That “date”, is more likely an internal date reference like “# of days since x”, or just a build batch reference.

There are ways to check on the build date via the Manufacturer via the SN of the part. Most of them have a Warranty Checker which usually includes build date as a response. For example, Transcend’s Warranty Checker is:

Whatever the date was, is or might be there was and is perhaps still a rather high number of SSD failures on Nucleus units, that was what prompted the point of this discussion.

2 Likes