Genre information from rateyourmusic.com

:rofl:

Don’t be mean :grinning:

1 Like

They removed the genre overview page cause it got to big to load on a single page. Here is a 2016 archive of that page: https://archive.is/przd6

1 Like

Joking aside - its really an absolut brilliant article. I almost entirely agree with thir genre clusters / sub-clusters - which is very rare :wink: A lot of great analysis has gone into this. :+1:

@Joost_de_Bonth thanks also for that archive link.

1 Like

Thank you for the link, at least it has all the genres on one page.

I’m surprised no one has produced an interactive visual map of the RYM genre hierarchy.

This interactive map is also quite interesting, based on Spotify data:

Every Noise at Once is an ongoing attempt at an algorithmically-generated, readability-adjusted scatter-plot of the musical genre-space, based on data tracked and analyzed for 5,261 genre-shaped distinctions by Spotify as of 2021-03-16. The calibration is fuzzy, but in general down is more organic, up is more mechanical and electric; left is denser and more atmospheric, right is spikier and bouncier.

https://everynoise.com/

Beware, turn your headphones/speakers down before clicking scan or on a genre!

Edit: Just in case it isn’t clear, you can also click on the >> that appears to the right of each genre (on mouse rollover) to be taken to the genre page which lists related artists and connected genres.

@bbrip

Indeed, I just wouldn’t like to be the one transposing their results into Roon.

@AnimalOnDrums I thought you would be interested in the links being shared/discussion in this topic.

:joy::joy::joy: Mission impossible. Lets get the small fry right first.

1 Like

Thanks for linking me in on this! I had completely forgot about RYM! Their album pages look really complete and have good credits too. I really like everynoise.com and I use it a lot. I like that it is really consistent and specific with genres and you can go as deep as you want

1 Like

I’m really just bumping this thread to keep it busy… This would improve sooo much, and if you add in Discogs as well, then BOOM, we’re done! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Integrating RateYourMusic (RYM) genres and album reviews into Roon could indeed enhance the service’s music information. RYM’s community-generated genre data, along with its voting system, offers detailed and accurate insights into music categorization. Incorporating RYM’s extensive genre information, primary and secondary, would provide Roon users with a richer and more nuanced understanding of the music they’re exploring. Additionally, leveraging RYM’s album reviews, known for their depth and community-driven nature, would contribute to a more comprehensive and user-focused music experience within Roon. If Roon considers user feedback and partnerships, integrating RYM’s data could be a valuable enhancement for enthusiasts seeking in-depth music information

2 Likes

The guy behind EveryNoise was laid off by Spotify. He’s a music Data Scientist, hopefully Roon/Harman can pick him up!!