Getting the most from Vivaldi and Roon?

A post was split to a new topic: dCS DAC filter choices

This immediately reminds me of my experimentations with using a bad USB output (a model of NUC known for this) into my Meridian 818v3 and dCS Rossini. The Meridian produced crud on the analogue output, the dCS appeared to be immune. Presumably the dCS has galvanic or comparable isolation on the USB input.

Assuming the LAN connection has been engineered with the same level of care, I doubt optical decoupling would make much (any) difference…

Got the VPP upgrade done (and internet updated too) and boy does it add new features. Very happy thus far with moving away from USB straight into network mode, and DSDx2 is a big plus !
That, along with the Vivaldi DAC v2.02, almost feels like a new improved system.

Kudos to dCS for a nice upgrade and great Roon integration.

1 Like

Dear Andrew,

Regarding your comment above, if I use my Innuos Zenith SE as Roon Core, using its ethernet output to feed the Vivaldi Upsampler (as a Roon streamer) ethernet input, what would be the recommended setttings to do this?

Thanks,

VPN

There aren’t any settings specific to using the Vivaldi Upsampler as a Roon endpoint. Assuming the Upsampler and DAC are properly connected to each other with the serial cable then all of the default settings should be correct.

We don’t support configurations in which the dCS device is directly connected to a server on a “bridged” or private network. It might work that way, but there can be issues which may cause instability. Should a support issue arise the first thing we’ll ask you to do is to connect the Upsampler directly to the main network.

1 Like

The Vivaldi Upsampler worked with the ethernet output of the Innuos Zenith SE, no problem. The sound was much better than before the use of the Innuos. They work really well together.

Andrew, one question for you. I am using a Vivaldi DAV, upsampler and master clock. Upsampler is connected to a router via ethernet cable. I am feeding music from CAPS zuma PC server with Roon. What do you think will sound better, to keep a PC server or to move Roon server to a QNAP NAS and eliminate PC?

Shouldn’t make any difference in terms of sound quality.

Running Roon core on QNAP is a bit of a stretch in terms of horsepower, especially if there’s DSP going on - like playing a file that requires transcoding for the Rossini such as a DSD256 file.

Given you have the server, why would you even bother? I would keep the server elsewhere though, but with the one you have maybe it doesn’t matter.

I believe NAS should offer more hassle-free operation 24/7?

My computers (all of them) do. I never turn them off. Why would you?

If you don’t like mucking around with your server, a NAS based Roon Core will work splendidly, almost maintenance free. I’ve been running the Core on a QNAP TS-470Pro for three years now and i have rebooted the Roon Core about three times…
Now your average Windoze high maintenance server… :wink:
(My QNAP worked just fine from scratch with its i3 3220, but i changed the processor to an i5 3470T for lower power consumption and less heat/noise)

I use a mac mini. Don’t have to do anything to it. You will run out of horsepower on your nas if you need some heavy DSP.

I’m with @miguelito. Just stick with your server, don’t mess with NAS. It’s a downgrade.

1 Like

Just let me say that my experience is the opposite…

I had the core running on a very fast W10 machine.
Now on a SonicTransporter i7( old version)
No DSP settings.
The sound with the core on the SonicTransporter is much better!
(dCS Rossini DAC/Clock)

Dear Andrew,

I’ve just bought my first dCS product :slight_smile:, a Vivaldi DAC. I am using my Apple Mini as the Core, and streaming my music archive from a NAS. I am feeding Vivaldi DAC, through a USB cable and DAC is connected via XLR to Dan D’agostino Progressive Preamp and there to Dan D’agostino Progression Mono-blocks, whic drives Vienna Acoustics’ The Music Speaker. Couple of questions: what Sync setting should I choose? and which Map and filter would you recommend to use with this setup?
Best,
Arpak

Without an external clock you should be using M (DAC master mode)

It’s essentially impossible for me to make any recommendation here as it’s all a matter of personal preference. I will say that it’s probably not necessary to spend to much time on MAP2 as the newer generation mappers (MAP1 and MAP3) are technically superior.

I’ve made a few comments on the question of, “What’s best for _______ setting?” in the past and although not specifically related to the Vivaldi DAC the message still applies. Theres some information in the following thread with a link to another with relevant information.

Hello Andrew, I’m very impressed with your responsiveness to the various questions asked in this forum. For my question: I have just placed an order for a Vivaldi DAC (replacing the excellent Brinkmann Nyquist), no extra Vivaldi Upsampler or Clock yet. I am running Roon on an Antipodes CX with their EX acting as the renderer. The EX will feed the VivaldI via a Cardas Hi-Speed USB cable. I currently have the EX set to upsample the bitstream to its highest multiple of 2, so either 352.8 or 384 KHz. I also have MQA decoding turned on or off, depending on which of my devices that I’m feeding, ditto for DSD. How would you recommend that I configure Roon for the Vivaldi?

The setup you’re using should be fine. You might want to try with upsampling disabled in Roon and let the DAC do its thing with the native stream format. Some customers prefer it with external upsampling and others prefer to let the DAC do the oversampling so that you get the benefit of the dCS filters.