Hard Drive Selection - Reliability, Performance, Cost

Cost v Reliability v Crystal ball forecasting … this is why many people value RAID 5 or 6 and NAS storage.

It’s all very well to opt for the simplicity of no fault tolerance plus a backup strategy, but after you have had to recover your data a few times and check for gaps, instead of doing anything else you’d rather be doing it gets really old really fast. After doing this three times in 14 months, over a decade ago, I moved to Synology and have never looked back. The only significant changes I’ve made have been hardware upgrades and moving to RAID 6.

A RAID array can still fail, so it you should still have a backup.
You still need another backup.

An directly attached USB drive to ROCK still perform better than a NAS.

I use this and have a backup on my NAS.
And occasionally (not often enougth) I backup the NAS which ensures that I don’t loose everything.

1 Like

Slightly OT - but I think it’s worth repeating: RAID is not a substitute for Backup

3 Likes

@Rune

I Second this!

I first send my music to my NAS (FreeNAS) which than replicates to my Roon server via Syncthing.
My NAS backs up to two places: rclone -> google drive and crashplan.
Nether of this cloud services hold my sensitive data, Sensitive data I back up to my colo.
I cringe every time I hear people say the exact same thing @HTTP_404 is saying… :smirk:

@Geoff_Coupe excellent read!

Don’t pay attention to the naysayers. Seagate Firecuda is fine. Great price and a 5-year limited warranty. Buy one, back up regularly, don’t look back.

2 Likes

Its easy to say what ever and pawn it to others when Is not you who is going to have to go through the hassle that comes behind bad drives…

I’m only one data point and don’t like making sweeping generalizations.

But I had to return 3 Lacie (Seagate) 4TB external hard drives under warranty and 2 Seagates. Each time they would replace the faulty unit with another one that failed later. I couldn’t get a refund because that was the shop’s terms and conditions.

I now have 2 WD’s, one as my main and the other as a pure offline backup and both are dead reliable for 6 months now.

If I had to advise a friend or family member on a purchase I would go with WD.

Again, I’m just one data point. There may be a lot of really bad WD experiences out there which would make me lucky.

are those wd red you use?im unsure which drives to buy myself wd red seem to be popular not sure how the other wd drives or other makes fare with roon users.

Hi Gary, no I just use external drives.

This one: https://www.wdc.com/products/portable-storage/my-passport-ultra-new.html

I have one 4TB that’s always running and one 4TB that’s just a backup, which I do once a week and keep offline and unplugged from everything. Nothing fancy for my needs.

I have a 3rd 4tb backup drive, the Lacie which was the last replacement I got but I don’t trust it and I wouldn’t want to sell it to anyone for the same reason lol.

hi sean
i have looked at them the problem is i have about 15 tb of music so i would need 4 of them and use a powered hub which was my original idea.
then i was thinking about some sort of das enclosure for bigger harddrives but really i just want to use usb 3 externals drives.

Eep that’s a lot!

I’ll have to defer to others for help here. I can only think of a NAS as the best immediate solution but not 100% sure of other simpler solutions.

2 Likes

You can do something like this:

Note: I have no experience with any of this enclosures…

i have my music at the moment stored on a old hpn40l microsever running windows 2011 server and spread across 2tb drives and also 3 seagate 5tb expansion usb drives all this is for my backup.
my hpserver has been playing up hence ive moved my files to the seagates now im after a new way of storing my files for everyday use either buy externals usb drives or das i want to get away from nas soloution as ive had bad experiences with the hp and a old qnap i used to have although the drobo nas look good and easy to use were i found the others a bit hard to keep up and running.

dont think this is available in the uk just done a quick search

Just an idea, At least you know what to look for in you area. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Media sonic is piece of crap. I had it for a month and had to initialize my drives a few times already.

2 Likes

Thanks for letting us know!
I have 0 experience with this type of enclosures! :thumbsup:

1 Like

In the MediaSonic forums there seems to be a more then a few people that are having the same issues as I am Also the fan is louder then my OWC Qx2. I have replaced the MediaSonic with a ICYCube MB561U3S-4SB R1 and that has been reliable for a week without any issues so far. As for drives I sell HGST and Toshiba drives to my clients. Both the enterprise & Consumer drives have been very reliable.

2 Likes

Thats a good datapoint!

Yes - you’re right, I forgot to add the “holy grail” NAS qualifier, fault tolerance is not backup :slight_smile: Still, it’s horses for courses and the pain of recovering data from faulty drives (which was the context the latest Backblaze report reminded me of) made a deep impression.