Headphone users... do you use crossfeed?

Great article! thanks for the pointer

A sad read . The Chu Moy emulation is my favourite of the Bauer presets, if I’m using crossfeed (depending on mood).

4 Likes

No one’s posted this http://bs2b.sourceforge.net/ which is the barely visible read more link on Roon’s crossfeed DSP screen. It gives some technical details about the crossfeed algorithm/implementation Roon’s using. The documentation comes from an abandoned Source Forge project that contains a C++ implementation which I suspect is the code that Roon uses. Just grabbed a snapshot, bad things can happen to abandoned FOSS projects.

3 Likes

Just curious… can you provide some parameters that define your version of ‘subtle’? I find the Roon presets a little too much crossfeed so I am about to experiment

1 Like

That’s funny Ralph… I laughed out loud on that one

Sorry, but as I stated i the post you are replying to, I do not use Roon’s crossfeed DSP function. I use the crossfeed built into my headphone amps (SPL Phonitor xe and dCS Bartok hDAC).

1 Like

I can’t put my finger on why exactly, but I find it enjoyable to use cross feed only on certain albums - for the most part I prefer to listen without it.

The nice thing about Roon’s DSP is that you can adjust the crossfeed parameters to your liking.

1 Like

I haven’t used the crossfeed functionality at all but then I also largely listen on very very open open-back headphones (Stax SR-202 and Hifiman Ananda), so it may not be much of an issue for me. Might play with it for IEM listening at some point, though.

I have pretty much stopped using crossfeed except when playing albums that are hard-panned left and right. Some Beatles albums seem to have most/all of the vocals on one side and instruments on the other. I also rarely use any DSP now with my Focal Clear headphones and Moon Black Dragon cable.

Agree with @Jim_F . Crossfeed only with Beatles like mixes where left and hard channels are hard-panned. My NAD HP50s do some kind of crossfeed by themselves (RoomFeel they call it) and I did not notice a big difference with my Focal Clear Pros either.

Since replying to this a month ago, I’ve found that now I actually do use crossfeed occasionally, for earlyish stereo that is really hard-panned left and right.

3 Likes

I’ve even started using it with the speakers on some 50’s and 60’s stuff that was hard panned to each side. Not all the time, but the Mamas and Papas benefited from it last night.

A lot of early stereo mixes were remixed mono efforts hence the hard panning of instrument effects.

I have a number of early albums in both the original mono and then later stereo mix and in these cases I nearly always prefer the original mono recording as it is just more natural to my ears.

On these early stereo hard panned mixes I find even crossfeed does not help enough for me to enjoy with cans.

1 Like