Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

I’m not entirely sure if this belongs in the headphones or the tinkering thread…

Back in, ooh, about 2005, I bought a discounted pair of Sennheiser HD580s and then quickly realised that their 300 ohm impedance needed a headphone amp. I tried a ‘cheap’ solid state amp which was frankly, pants, and promptly returned it. A bit of internet searching led me to the WAD HD83 - a UK designed kit amp using ECL83 triode/pentode valves.

World_Audio_Design_WAD_HD83__uj__csoves_fejhallgato_erosito_DIY_kit_145912093604457

I bough one, built it and enjoyed it immensely for years.

It took a bit of a back seat of late, having obtained a Topping DX7Pro for my main setup and an E50/L50 in my office setup.

I decided to rebuild the HD83 into a more modern case from Modushop by Hi-Fi 2000 Contenitori per Elettronica Electronic Enclosures Hi Fi Chassis and contacted Matthew Snell (World Designs) about obtaining the new circuit board with DIL switches for selecting headphone impedance. In the end, I bought a new HD3S XL kit minus the case and valves and proceeded to rebuild completely from scratch.

I upgraded my original HD83 with a Vishay SMD stepped attenuator volume control - the original Alps Blue Velvet developed a scratchy sound, as many volume pots do and the stepped attenuator went into the new build.

Mounting the attenuator to the 10mm thick front panel was a bit of a challenge and in the end a pot shaft extension from China was the solution.

I’m a sucker for Neutrik hardware, so Neutrik RCA chassis connectors and a 4 pin XLR for the headphone output were the obvious choice.

I still own (and love the sound of the HD580s) and have recently acquired a pair of Emotiva GR-1s. Keen to try a pair of HD800s too.

18 Likes

Here is my little stack now:

Beyerdynamic DT177X GO (the Drop version)
Hifiman Sundara
Sennheiser HD6XX (Another Drop version) with ZMF fenestrated pads
Audeze LCD-2 Classic

RPi 4 endpoint, feeding a Schiit Bifrost 2
Headphone amps are a Schiit Jotunheim (OG) and a Schiit Valhalla 2.

I can run all of my headphones balanced out of the Jotunheim (or will when the cable comes for the Audeze).

I also have a Schiit Modi 3/Magni3+ stack in the office.

8 Likes

Would anyone here be interested in a Head-Fi style headphone meet in the Pittsburgh area?

While I don’t own the Sennheiser HD800s, I do own the HD800 and the closed back HD820. I also have several different headphone amps:

Oppo HA-1, which has both single ended and balanced outputs (I use the balanced output for both the HD800 and HD820)

Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Focal Arche

Each headphone is also a DAC and I have several Roon endpoints. I also use convolution filters when listening to either Sennheiser.

I really like the sound of both the HD800 and the HD820 and would put both of them at or very near the state of art for dynamic headphones. They both have a very warm, neutral and expansive sound with just the right tonal balance. With the prices of top of the line headphones now climbing to insane amounts, the Sennheisers seem like a pretty good bargain. Definitely try to give the HD800s a listen. The one knock against the Sennheisers is the rather inferior earpads, however replacement earpads are readily available. I use earpads from Dekoni on the HD800 - a big upgrade and noticeable improvement in the sound.

1 Like

Something to aspire to?

1 Like

$12,000 list price

Hi graham, lovely ones! How do they sound and for which genre you‘re using the ZMFs mainly? Cheers from hamburg

Man, that’s one fugly looking headphone amp! Only 9,500 Elizabethan shekels too…

Can’t see any self-respecting audiophile buying it either. It’s internal PSU is a switcher, albeit a very good one…

2 Likes

Not best looking by far, quite ugly imo.

That’s very judgemental, mind you…
Screenshot_20220502-135453_Chrome

1 Like

I am about to weaken , what are thoughts on the Grado Statement 1000e to complement my aging Sennheiser HD800 ? (along with Bose QC25, & Sony MX 10004)

My choice is limited and audition is nigh on impossible but any other suggestions welcome

I fancy a change , my only auditionable set is another HD800 but s this time

I love birthdays :joy:

Yikes!!! Scary clown.

Yeah? How about this? Steampunk in your listening room.

2 Likes

I don’t think you could get further away from the sennheisers. I had the 325e and they didn’t do it for me, bags of detail but they make the 800s feel like bass monsters.

I am so used to that “Sennheiser” sound, I have had these HD800 for at least 9 years , they are showing their age but sound fine. To renovate them, pads, cable , headband is almost half a new pair.

The problem on RSA is that no one has stock, the only place I can audition is Cape Town 1500 km away . Also brands simply aren’t here so it’s online buying with no audition outside of Sennheiser

My short list was

Audeze LCD2
Focal Clear
Grado 1000e
Sennheiser HD800s

Sort of steam punk Nagra vibe.

The LCD are almost twice the weight and i really noticed it though they sound good.
The focals are lighter and, to me, distribute it better.

1 Like

That is one good looking amplifier. Although I’m a sucker for all things steam punk. Like this brand:

4 Likes

Yeah, if you’ve got a spare $200,000 (?).

I don’t understand your statement. A good quality replacement cable, by “good quality” I mean at least equal to the stock Sennheiser cable, can be had for under $100 US. Very good replacement ear pads from Dekoni are around $80 US and a few Dekoni Nuggets ($25 US) on the headband work wonders. That just over $205 US, which is well below half the cost of a new Sennheiser HD 800S.

Plus why are you considering replacing the cable? Is the cable broken or wearing out? Replacing the ear pads I understand since the stock ear pads aren’t very good. And I can understand how the headband would need some work. By the way, when I replaced the worn, stock ear pads with new Dekoni ear pads it was like getting a new set of headphones. They made that much of a difference. And the little Nuggets really improve the comfort of the HD 800.

I understand that you located “down under” however a really good source for replacement cables is Fog City Audio. Worth inquiring if they can ship to Australia. The same thing goes for Dekoni.

That thing must make fabulous toast.