Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

EDIT: another pic with the ropieee display

16 Likes

Oppo Sonica DAC, Roon via USB. Balanced output to Schitt Jotunheim headphones amplifier, Sennheiser 660 HD

6 Likes

@Techru Your organization of your headphone and IEM collection inspired me to do something about the growing mess of various headphone and USB cables, USB power supplies and other junk on the single shelf below my computer desk. I found a small six drawer cabinet which, after a tiresome assembly, fits nicely along side my computer desk. It’s not nearly large enough to fit all the items from under the desk but it does help to clear things out and keep things better organized.

One drawer for papers, two drawers for headphone cables, one drawer for audio related devices, adaptors and cables, one drawer for USB power supplies and cables and the last drawer for a few Bluetooth speakers.

Thanks again for the inspiration! Pictures below.

5 Likes

Glad I can be of inspiration. Are you planning on staining it to match the desk? It looks like it may already have a sealer coat, so maybe that’s more work than it’s worth. Just having the organization is worth it. Of course, now you have to determine if you have properly prioritized the arrangement of items in the drawers!! Top drawer = top priorities!

Every so often when I get the urge to organize things i find that over time entropy always finds a way to win. In other words, things stay organized for a couple of days/weeks/months and then it all goes to hell :rofl:

Entropy is the mortal enemy of all those with OCD!

2 Likes

It’s the mortal enemy of all of us, whether we know it or not. Resistance is the only civilised option.

2 Likes

I solve the problem by getting rid of stuff. For instance, I had a nice pair of Dan Clark AEON I sold soon after getting my Focal Clear. I have the Focal Clear for in home and Sony XM-1000XM3 for outside. I try to get rid of anything I’m not using and don’t collect anything. Those days are long gone.

3 Likes

I do believe that the proper expression is “Resistance is futile”. In the end entropy always wins.

3 Likes

I’m no stranger to the war against clutter. It takes vigilance. That said, here’s the current state of my efforts to keep my desk a neat and tidy place. Have a Naim Uniti HE sitting in an under-desk shelf on my height-adjustable desk. I spend most of my waking hours working at this desk - must be kept clutter free at all times!

12 Likes

I was thinking at the more existential end of the spectrum. We seem to spend most of our brief time trying to hold back time’s arrow before shuffling off this mortal coil.

True, but resisting seems to be human nature all the same…

“Have you not done tormenting me with your accursed time! It’s abominable! When! When! One day, is that not enough for you, one day he went dumb, one day I went blind, one day we’ll go deaf, one day we were born, one day we shall die, the same day, the same second, is that not enough for you? They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it’s night once more.” - S.B.

2 Likes

It’s not even that long a wait :wink:

1 Like

I love the monitor/stand.

1 Like

In a moment of weakness I took the plunge and ordered the Drop+DCA Aeon X Closed (helped it was on sale) and the JDS Atom headphone amp.

So far I’m very happy with them (I’m using the convolution filters from here AutoEq/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Dan Clark Audio Aeon X Closed at master · jaakkopasanen/AutoEq · GitHub )

13 Likes

I know the feeling, I accidentally bought a pair of Stax -007’s and then a month or so later Audeze CRBN’s to go with the 009’s I already had.

1 Like

Of course wouldn’t you know it that right after I ordered them my car decided it needed repairing. It’s a repair that I can do myself, but the parts alone are $400. :weary:

1 Like

Nice setup. What are the speakers? I’m looking for something decent for my desktop setup that Roon can stream to, or alternatively that can connect directly to my PC so I can use the Roon client, or ideally both. KEF LSX II is one option I’ve considered but I’m a bit worried that they will be too physically imposing on my desk - in my case I need to leave as much free desk space as possible available for clutter! Physically those s[rakers that you have on your desk look quite discreet hence my interest.

1 Like

they look like some flavor of Audio Engine, but I don’t recognize the stands. judging by the number of cables coming off the back, I suspect they’re powered, and don’t reply on the Naim, except perhaps as a streamer.

Hi, @Julian.

Correct on all counts :slight_smile: Audioengine A2+. The stands are Audioengine DS1M.

These are great little speakers for computer use but I don’t use them for engaged music listening. They’re connected to the Mac Studio via USB (C → Micro). You can actually see three distinct audio setups in that photo.

• Audioengine A2+ - default audio out from the Mac.
  • Microsoft Audio Dock - microphone and speakers exclusively for online meetings in Teams, Zoom, etc.
  • Naim + Headphones - Roon and nothing but Roon.

I actually used to have a pair of KEF LSX II on my desk. I recently sold them - I wasn’t using them for music and they were taking up too much space. They’re great for near field music. Better than the A2+. But I intentionally have a small desk and that puts space at a premium. This may help you with scale. That’s a 38" monitor teetering dangerously on a monitor arm whose weight spec it exceeds. It works, though.

13 Likes

Hello All, I haven’t visited this thread in a while. I saw posts about keeping desktops organized, so thought I’d share a simple headphone stand solution. This attaches to my desk.

4 Likes