Headphones thread (show us yer cans)!

Truer words have rarely been spoken.

Sometimes it can be difficult to cut through the audiophile fog. A good mantra to live by is Trust Your Ears!

3 Likes

Original HD 800 - with the filters they sound great!

2 Likes

Thats not surprising to me. They are pretty easy to drive headphones and are specifically made to be used with phones and portable devices, so they donā€™t need a lot of power to shine. I think that @Jazzfan_NJ is spot on so there is not much more I can say except to enjoy your new headphones!

1 Like

Trust your ears. They know best. Good advice @Jazzfan_NJ

1 Like

Just using Mergingā€™s Ravenna/AES67 driver, which just shows up on Roon Core (and macOS in general) like any other soundcard (like a USB DAC attached). Works that way for Roon Server running on either macOS or Win10.

Linux is a different story. There is a Merging ALSA driver but it is wonky.

For Roon use, Roon OS (ROCK and Nucleus) canā€™t yet play directly to Anubis.

It doesnā€™t bother me anyway because I run Roon Server on macOS these days (and use Anubis for many other non-Roon things) but maybe @danny can say if there is any work happening to add Mergingā€™s ALSA driver to Roon OS?

8 years and counting, I just priced a Sennheiser replacement cable , scared the heā€™ll out of me

just replaced the Drop THX AAA 789 in my secondary system withā€¦

a whole different world! :slight_smile:
(as the Pathos Aurium in my main system is yet another planet :wink:)

3 Likes

My Focal Clears have a diaper. Thanks @rrwwss52 for the tip. I need to keep them pristine as Headphones.com has a one year return policy. Iā€™m sure I will keep them, though.

6 Likes

Are they sounding better to you or do you still equalize them?

Iā€™m using the convolution that @killdozer (Carl) helped me setup. I have two different ones for each of my three headphones. They all sound great.

Please point to these posts, here or in a PM. Thanks.

Carl posted this is a recent thread. Iā€™m not sure if these are the same as what he sent me.

https://phones.killdozer.uk/

5 Likes

That was some quick service @Jim_F

Glad to helpā€¦

1 Like

I couldnā€™t believe it. I ordered from Amazon yesterday and they showed up this afternoon. I donā€™t have Amazon Prime, but I probably should. An advantage of living just outside Atlanta, I suppose.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G4TWZC6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

Sony MMX 4,or 3 or 2. Wireless headphones,robust,comfortable,great sound,can be wired. Bowers and Wilkins Px7. Wireless again,better sound than the Sony in my opinion,but not for large heads. I find them really comfortable but some may not. Both these headphones have noise cancellation if you want to use it.

1 Like

@Jim_F I just wanted to say Thank You for giving me the inspiration to learn how to use DSP and convolution filters in Roon. I had been reading your posts about easy it is to set up DSP within Roon and how much you and many others enjoying using DSP with headphones. So I did a little research on the Roon Knowledge Base, found a few links to the required wav files and added 20 convolution filters, saved as DSP Presets, to Roon for all of my many headphones. What a cool feature and, as you have pointed out, very easy to use and so much fun! Thank again and happy listening!

4 Likes

Thanks, but Killdozer is the man.

Well then a BIG Thank You to @killdozer as well!

2 Likes

I am auditioning Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed headphones and really like the clear separation and detail. I also feel, though, thereā€™s a certain passivity to the presentation. Almost at a remove, if that makes sense - and itā€™s not a function of volume.

Today I got my other candidate, the new Focal Celestee and, without slamming the Aeon 2s at allā€¦wow. I mean, just wow.

Clear, immediate, detailed sound, without being too aggressive. Not an overwhelming bass but nor is there any sense of an absence to me. Incredibly comfortable (albeit heavier than the Aeon 2s). Gorgeously designed. Broad soundstage.

I know this wonā€™t make sense, necessarily (I lack the terminology of the experts), but Iā€™d say the Aeon 2sā€™ sound like a matte finish and the Celestees are glossy.

I know thereā€™s a burn-in period, so any evaluation at this point may not be fair, or at least isnā€™t finished, but to me, for these ears, it wasnā€™t even a close call. Iā€™m going to stick with the Focals, though Iā€™d recommend the Aeon 2s to anyone considering them. Itā€™s just a personal choice between two very winning products.

4 Likes

Anyone have thoughts as to whether itā€™s worth investing in third party cables to enhance my Focal Celestees? Any brand recommendations? And finally, go for balanced?

I know thereā€™s a ton of discussions on this - really reaching out to Focal owners in particular. Thanks!