Hearing Loss & High End Audio

Hi John (and any other hearing aid users).

Can you ask your audiologist for the exact EQ profile implemented in your hearing aids?

Do they share that kind of thing if you ask (nicely) ? Or do they keep it to themselves

If they shared it, I wonder if parametric EQ could be helpful. Probably more helpful with headphones than speakers but maybe both (depending)

Here’s what my profile looks like. Etymotic has a home hearing test kit that is essentially the same thing that an audiologist would use. JCR

1 Like

Thanks JR.

I’ve seen many similar plots having done hearing tests myself.

But I was more asking about the digital file used to upload into the hearing aid itself.

Wondering if there was a way to export the correct curve… it would need asking or looking into the hearing aid software . Maybe even some assistance from manufacturer too. If one is a paying customer I would hope they could help.

Then it could be easy to use with any convolver

I may be wrong, but I believe Thierry set up his plugin to take the readings off a chart like mine to create these types of filters. Obviously, not the number of datapoints for a typical convolution filter and no measurement into higher frequencies.

Try and report back! JCR

1 Like

I’m not old enough yet! Moreso trying to help.

Just wondering if it is possible to get raw correction data from audiologist / manufacturer.

Maybe it’s just using simple IIR parametric EQ in the device.

Try asking and report back !

It’s just the audiogram seen above I’ve got from my audiologist. I don’t know how interoperable the adjustment file from Phonak would be, certainly Thierry never asked me to look for it.

I agree it would be very useful if it was in a format that could be “imported”.

I may be totally wrong but from limited experience trying to emulate the adjustment with Roon parametric EQ I think that the adjustment might be better done as close to the ears as possible.

.sjb

1 Like

I see your point Joachim, but my Samsung phone has had exactly this feature for years. Plays a bunch of frequencies out of the headphone to create a custom profile, or lets you choose your age and applies expected age related hearing loss. It’s a pity it’s not more common.

1 Like

I’ve worn aids for the past 15+ years. Currently, I have a music program (H/As have several programs available and the wearer can switch between them - eg, “all-around”, “restaurant”, “outdoors”, “music”). My music program has my frequency compensation programmed and all possible digital programming turned off (dynamic range compression, noise reduction, feedback control, etc.). I have worked to compare my preferred audio system settings with my better hearing friends and family’s perceptions and have found I’m pretty close to “normal” preferences. Next step (I’ve done this in the past, but have moved and haven’t set it up again) is measurement with REW to get objective data. Ideally, music will sound “right” to me when the measurement is relatively flat.

My enjoyment of the high end is as great as ever even though my hearing loss is classified as severe. It is rich and three dimensional. When I find myself lost in the music, feeling it present in the room more than from the speakers, I know I’m on the right course. Frequency perception is only one variable in quality audio’s sound. And I treat the hearing aids as another piece of audio equipment in the chain with the best aids for the job selected and proper tweaking of their performance.

There will be a time when my loss gets to the point that I won’t enjoy the high end benefits any longer, but not yet. And hearing aid technology is keeping up with my loss so far. The aids of 15 years ago, if used today, would not let me enjoy the music as much as those produced now.

Beyond all of this is Frequency Therapeutics gains in hearing restoration that most of us will see in our lifetimes.

3 Likes

This is probably one of the most important factors in listener’s experience.

I wonder how many folk, when auditioning new equipment at home, do so while, for example, having a glass of wine (or two). I would guess the wine and subsequent euphoria have a major impact on perception and buying decisions.
Sitting down “with a glass” mid evening is an enjoyable part of the listening experience and I find my perception & levels of enjoyment are enhanced significantly.

Is the new equipment that much better or has my perception been subject to non-equipment related external influences?

1 Like

It sounds like a great way to test new speakers in store too, but I suspect then we’d all spend a lot more than we should :smile:

1 Like

That’s probably why I’m broke, expensive alcohol “mixed” with HiFi :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes