Hell freezes over, or how Folder Browsing came to Roon!

This may be a good feature to allow us to play back music with Roon when the internet is down.

2 Likes

Sure is! The solution is to follow the ‘kludge’ from 2020…

If you click the Tag icon in the Albums browser, you can Focus on the new Tag, then make a Bookmark. Ta da … albums listed.

If your internet goes down for more than 28 days, then I suspect that you have bigger problems than just the loss of internet…

Roon 2.0 now has the same behaviour as Roon 1.8 - it does not need to have an “always on” connection to the internet.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’m not much of a technical user of Roon, just like music and Roon manages my collection.

I do indeed have bigger problems with my internet. I’m currently on between 2Mbps and 14Mbps. I contacted my ISP who in turn contacted our NBN (national broadband network) provider, government business. They made an appointment to fix my internet, next day I got a message saying they fixed it remotely, they had done no such thing. So I contact ISP again and go through the same routine of fault finding and testing before booking another appointment with NBN, then I get another message they had fixed it remotely, again no such thing. I now have another appointment for next Friday… That is my internet life. Sadly NBN is an entirely unaccountable government entity you can’t actually talk to directly.

When I started putting together my digitial files I ripped most of my CDs to AIFF. At the time I wanted to distinguish what was ripped from CDs (and SACDs) and what was downloaded. It seemed a good idea to put the source first, so I have a bunch: CD, SACD, Acoustic Sounds (they used to have downloads, especially DSD ones), HDTracks, Qobuz, etc…

It is not strictly necessary of course but I like to know where things come from.

1 Like

I have something of a shorthand for this - I started with iTunes around 2010 and used ALAC from the off to rip CDs. Downloads then were AAC or MP3. By the time I’d jumped to Roon, downloads were FLAC, WAV and DSF. To this day I still rip CDs with ALAC and keep any iTunes-compatible content (ALAC, AAC, MP3, etc/) in its own folder*, with FLAC, DSF and others in a separate folder. This means I can easily focus on CD rips if I feel the need.

*This was meant to facilitate management of music files on my iPods and iPhone. No need for that now and I don’t even have iTunes or Apple Music looking at the folder.

What I will say is the Folder browser is definitely value add for me. Thanks Roon team.

9 Likes

Before Roon, I was folder organized and it was always a bear for me to combine my classical albums (frequently two different composers on an album or several symphonies from an album listed separately. Now it’s easier but I’m almost finished!!!

BUT you can., the internet always on was removed 2 updates ago, you now listen local music any time

1 Like

Roon is on a roll lately - Like the Playlist improvements. Good work!

Now if you ONLY would add the ability to move multiple songs at one time when editing playlists!!!

1 Like

A folders view was never something I much wanted, but I always felt there was no harm in having it, so well done for providing one now.

What I have wanted for a long time is a better way to edit out errors in Roon like track order which is a nightmare with the current tools. Also a desperate need is to be able to correct groups of tracks that Roon has failed to identify as a composition, or orphan tracks which Roon leaves out of the composition.

Is it possible that the folder view may in future be the vehicle for improved editing of issues such as those? Or is it better to keep such necessary editing distinct?

I’m sure Roon is now seriously looking at these issues anyway, but the new folder view prompted my curiosity.

3 Likes

I agree. Using folder browsing in Roon made me aware that apparently a number of mp3 albums and compilations from “the early days” had been incorrectly recognized by Roon as stand-alone tracks or mixed with others orphaned tracks - probably due to faulty metadata and since the very first scan of my library years ago.

The good news is that with folder browsing, “select all” and “group tracks” I will finally be able to address and correct such issues directly in Roon now. It’s a bit of maintenance work, of course, but you’re happy to accept that for a clean library, right? And you get the chance of (re-) discovering some long lost gems, which were hidden within your library due to faulty metadata that was misinterpreted by Roon.

4 Likes

Just tried this folder view and it is very slow, app is not responding. I have i7 12 gen nuc and installed rock

Problem is with main folder with 90.000 tracks.
Found out that this problem is on iphone 15pro, on ipad pro is fast.

Reinstall app didnt solve the problem.

90,000 tracks loose in one folder is likely to slow any filesystem. Can you use something like Yate to folderize the albums?

2 Likes

Didnt write correct, sorry.
It is main folder with subfolders and total number of tracks is arround 90.00

But it seems that problem is on iphone app

I’m using a 2020 SE, with quite a lot more tracks, and folder browsing is pretty much instantaneous, so there’s definitely something wrong. Are you running short of storage on your phone? Other than that I can’t think of anything that would cause Roon to run slowly.

Just tried folder view on my iPhone 15pro (50K tracks) and it’s pretty much instant responses.
It looks like there may be a local issue, storage possibly?

What I am finding most interesting about Folder Browsing is the user response to this new feature! So many nitpicky complainers! Especially those who want the Folders entry to disappear. What nonsense.

In my case, I found the new feature interesting, though I will find it only rarely useful because I find my Tags do much the same thing. But in any case I can easily and happily ignore the entry “Folders” in the Menu of choices when I don’t want to choose it.

I look forward to future upgrades.

7 Likes

Pure speculation on my part: isn’t it human nature to strengthen/re-inforce/prolongue/arrogate support for/try to confirm a position once held in one context by referring to it positively in another?

Specifically, aren’t (many of) those Roon users who were behind/supported/approved of/understood RoonLabs’ original (and strongly held) position on FB likely to allude to/re-iterate/cleave to such original positions as ways of confirming their commitment to the Roon ‘project’ in general?

I suspect that if we carried out a poll, two revealing questions might be:

1. has you position on FB changed since its implementation?
  2. can you - regardless - see both sides of the issue; appreciate why both positions are valid?

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I support Roon’s postion, then and now. It’s their product and their company. They will do what’s best and right for the majority of their customers, current and future. Harmon changed their focus which is good, I think.

5 Likes