High res content that sounds *great*

People say Morning Phase makes a thematic pair with Sea Change (Beck 2002). The earlier album being the downward arc of a breakup and the latter (12 years later) being upward out of despair.

Another album I’ve been enjoying with a similar aesthetic to Morning Phase is Bazoo Bajou - Grains. Can’t find it in hi res, but the Redbook is very fine. I particularly enjoy the decay on the Asdic ping on Under The Same Sun.

Great choices in this thread.

i would offer the following. Sara Barailles - Brave Enough Love at the Variety Playhouse

Superb performance and recording.

Just got around to listening to this.This recording is a lot of fun, and I agree, very well recorded/mastered as well.

The New Count Basie Orchestra Christmas album is quite fun and sounds good.

Andre Heuvelman “After Silence”

Recorded in High Definition with great care. The title track and Krakow are stunning in a very minimalist way with the horns and percussion. The sense of space is tremendous and I will use either of those tracks as a high res demo.

• Sting - Desert Rose

Very fun track to listen to, multi layered and lots of stereo effects.

1 Like

I also have the multichannel version, in fact I’m playing it right now … it’s the DTS version so not lossless but still very enjoyable.

I don’t think a multichannel DVD-A or FLAC version was ever released :disappointed:

David Elias - Acoustic Trio DSD Sessions (DSD64)

1 Like

‘Desert Rose’ is on the ‘Brand New Day’ Dvd-A in 24/48 5.1 . Stereo version is 24/44 and mixing and mastering by Eliot Scheiner and Bob Ludwig so no surprise its a cracking listen. There is also a great live version on the dvd 'All This Time ’
which took place on the night of 9/11 and is a very powerful listen .

~M~

2 Likes

Hi, thank for the info, it’s ‘Brand New Day’ that I have but only the Redbook CD and DTS versions

I’l have to seek out the DVD-A versions.

The Japanese Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section DVD Audio (from Victor, I think, my physical media is currently in boxes in the basement after moving house) is very very good. Bob Stuart from Meridian used to bring this out to show what DVDA could do on Meridian systems.

1 Like

Got the latest Natalie Merchant album, “Paradise is There” from HD tracks in 24/48. This is reworking her debut solo album “Tigerlilly”. The sound is excellent in Hi-Res, though I suspect the CD and Vinyl would be too :smile:

1 Like

Amber Rubarth - Sessions From The 17th Ward

24/192, Binaural.

1 Like

That looks like my library! Good selections there!

Reviving an old thread :alarm_clock:

Discovered on Tidal so red book but quite impressed by the sound.

L’Estro Armonico
by Tafelmusik Orchestra

My 2¢ for some of my faves that were not listed:

• Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (listen to the SACD in surround - it will blow your mind. My kid crawled for the first time listening to this, for whatever that’s worth)

• Grateful Dead - American Beauty

• Beck - Sea Change

• Beatles - Love (I have all the their stuff in 24bit but I really love this mashup)

• Rush 2112 (great in surround as well)

• TV on the Radio - Seeds

• Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow

• Ed Harcourt - Back into the Woods

• Steve Earle - Trancendental Blues

• Joseph Arthur - Redemption City

• Paul Simon - Graceland

• Norah Jones - Come Away With Me

• My Morning Jacket - The Waterfall

Here’s one:

Kenny Barron/Dave Holland - The Art of Conversation

Also…

Keith Jarrett/Charlie Haden - Last Dance

The other half of the session (Jasmine) is great too.

This one has been in my library but with zero plays…shame on me. Listening now.

I just got Mwandishi by Herbie Hancock in 24/192 and it’s blowing my mind with how great it sounds and needless to say the album is killer musically too.

Elvis Costello - “North”.

Laid back, but sonically off the charts.