High-res on RPi3 HDMI

PiCorePlayer already uses a patched kernel in order to achieve high bitrates over HDMI. The default Raspbian release does not have these patches - hence the update to the next branch.

The (legitimate) question is bit depth: whether the driver outputs real 24- or 32-bit, or merely accepts the input and throws out the top 8/16.

I ran into the same problem.
Reinstalled the full version of Jessie 4.1. I’m using a usb attached dac so this time I didn’t run the update command.

after running the 3 commands to install roonbridge all is running fine upto 24bit 96kHz (max for the Arcam dac I’m using for my headphone setup)

For what it’s worth, my experience is the same as CJ’s. I’ve installed Raspian Lite 4.4.x, and am running Roonbridge, outputting via HDMI into a Linn DSM. Sampling rates up to 192 kHz are working fine, but 24 bit material is being truncated to 16 bit.

By the way, the sound quality of this solution is good (notwithstanding any truncation) – much better than I expected, actually. I am not sure if the DSM is implementing audio rate control (via CEC) for its HDMI input, but for whatever reason this configuration seems to sound better than feeding the SPDIF output from a Squeezebox Touch into the DSM.

A post was split to a new topic: Uploading package to my Synology NAS