Hitting the road with Roon. Your experience?

I regularly stay somewhere in the mountains with no mobile phone or internet access. Before I leave I change my core license from my NUC to the laptop. However, I keep a separate database on each machine. I have my music library backed up on a portable drive which I take with me.
When I get there I connect my laptop to the DAC and turn on a WiFi hotspot on my mobile, connect my laptop and iPad to it, then use my iPad to control the music while sat in my armchair in front of a roaring open fire. It’s a strange mix of old world and new, but it works great for me.
I don’t mind having different databases as I have separate playlists and don’t really use tags there and obviously there is no access to Qobuz. I have never had any problems with a Roon license check while there but am only ever there for a week at most. Perhaps the authorisation of the new core before going means another check isn’t needed for a while…?
I know this has little relevance to the OP use case, but just wanted to share that Roon can be done wirelessly without an internet connection!

4 Likes