How do you access your music: purchases or streaming services?

Bandcamp out of preference. Gives me lossless and unlimited downloads. Failing that CDs, but they are such a pain to physically deal with (and heavy, carrying a box of CDs sucks!).

TIDAL is too limited, Deezer is better, but I like Roon, so that’s a bit tricky.

1 Like

When I was 10 (back in the very early 60s), my choice was to a) listen to a transitor radio, b) listen to my parent’s music or c) save my allowance to buy 45s. The transitor radio was my ‘Tidal’ in terms of being exposed to new music, but all three had value and impacted the influence music had on me growing up.

If I was 10 today, choices would be different, but perhaps not fundamentally so … likely between internet streaming and/or whatever my parent’s choice of music listening is. But I cannot imagine a scenario where kids buy much music today.

2 Likes

The problem today was exposed on BBC Radio 4 where they discussed very poorly attended venues for major artists. To the point where free tickets were given out and existing holders had upgrades to fill the venue.
A poorly attended venue looks bad on the DVD. The kids can only afford one gig at a time when three or four of their favourite artist are on tour. The expectation for the show means shows are expensive to produce and the artists, who earn less from streaming and sales can now expect to earn less from touring.
The race to the bottom looks like it could be approaching the ground impact quickly. Music isn’t and cannot be sustainably Free…

I stream from my ripped cd collection and Tidal.
I don’t buy cd’s anymore,only vinyl.

Just interested: do you play your newly purchased vinyl on a turntable outside of Roon, or do you digitise it right away to play it through Roon?

I play it on a turntable,most albums are also available on Tidal so there is no need to digitize them.
I listen to new music on Tidal and when I like an album i buy it on vinyl.
My last purchase was Buddy Guy’s new album.

1 Like